OCR02843 - *YES* Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door 'Black Onslaught'

OceansAndrew

My ReMixer name: FaytxStay [ Official Name ]

My userid: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=26156

~Submission Information~

Name of game arranged: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Name of arrangement: Black Onslaught

Name of individual song arranged: Mario Vs. The Shadow Queen (True Form - Part 2)

Additional information:

Composer: Yuka Tsujiyoko

System: Nintendo Gamecube

Year: October 11, 2004

Link to the original soundtrack: http://rpgmusics.com/paper-mario-the-thousand-year-door

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc:

Honestly, Paper Mario is the only game that I haven't seen remixed on OCR. I figured with this being my first submission, I'd try a game no one has before. For choosing the song, I found it to be the most creepiest thing I'd ever heard of in a Mario game, so I figured I'd push it even further. With my noob skills as the time, ( Still needs work now, ) I couldn't capture the song how I wanted it, leading me to refine the song 16 times over the years. With little experience in guitar and less equipment at my disposal, I didn't have much hope to finish this. But with people at OCRemix pushing me forward, I got around to making this the most powerful combination I could create. Kontakt, Shreddage, EZdrummer, Pro-52 and Guitar Rig 4 helped me beyond my dreams.

Melodromatics aside, I'm wishing for the best and I still have much to learn, but I'd be happy to be apart of the epic talent that is OverClocked Remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro-LJ8vHTn8

Edited by djpretzel

Pretty nice take on the source, it's very apparent throughout, but has a lot of good embellishments. The metal treatment is pretty solid, and though the levels on the mixing aren't exactly where i think they should be, everything is clear and sounds very nice. The overall soundscape gels together very well, and overall the transformation was pretty cool. The source itself is pretty varied, with a lot of parts, and this incorporates those plus a few new ones to good effect.

The laughs and whispers added to the mood, and overall I think this is pretty badass.

Yes

• 1 month later...

Going to mostly agree with Andrew here. I like how you've treated the source, and it was pretty fun to hear all the quotes from other games you threw in there (I'm sure I missed a few, too). Everything goes pretty well together, and this isn't an easy source to take on. Some nitpicks - aside from some tweaks in the levels, I think you could also look at your ending; not digging the fade-out. Neither are really vote-changing, but something to look into for the future.

YES

• 2 months later...

Yup, very cool mix here dude. Nice use of spacing in integrating the sound effects/vocals in the soundfield.

Mixing/balancing overall was clear, though I think there were a few weaknesses. The kick is nearly inaudible for a lot of the mix - I'd bring up a bit more low end (somewhere in 200-500 range) and get a bit more high end click on it to let it shine through.

I like your synth choices here. Seems like they were a bit heavy on the reverb/delay effects for the genre - I'm no metal expert, but from what I've heard they tend to be a bit more on the drier side.

I'm gonna echo the Deiahate on the fadeout ending. No dealbreaker, but it does come off as lazy ;)

Source use was very clear to me here and the metal adaptation was done quite deftly.

Minor issues aside, solid metal track here dude. Rock on.

Yes

• 1 month later...

Yaaaaay, I love this awesome theme :-D

This is pretty solid - great synth work and performances. The rhythm guitars feel a little bit thin and slightly muddy, and the drums a little bit quiet as well. Overall, the levels just feel... not quite where they should be. I'll agree with everyone else though, while it's not perfect and we'd like to hear some better leveling so all of your instruments are coming through clearly and fully, it's good enough to go this time around, too. I really like what you've done with the theme, do more stuff like this!

:nicework:

YES