OCR02413 - *YES* Crash Bandicoot 'Hogging Molly'

OceansAndrew

Remixer 1 name: Rexy (real name: Bev Wooff)

OCRemix user ID: 7528

Remixer 2 name: Brandon Strader

OCRemix user ID: 3123 (what, he's *really* been here longer than me?!)

Remix info:-

Remix title: "Hogging Molly"

Game covered: Crash Bandicoot

Individual songs covered: Hog Wild (

)

--

Rexy says: "Working with Brandon on 'Hogtied' for OCRemix's recent Sonic 1 project was a lot of fun, so a second encounter could be proven inevitable, hence the construction being really similar.

So here we go, tackling the 'Hog Wild' stage theme in Crash 1 (and like my other Crash submission there's some light homages to the main theme and Cortex's theme hidden in there as well). Its roots were as a Celtic Punk arrangement, written in the style of Flogging Molly (hence the title), though when Brandon chipped in later with his contributions it soon got a more southern flair attached to it. I won't be surprised if the user would actually smell the raw bacon halfway through!"

Brandon says: "Speaking of raw bacon, Rexy sure knows how to write parts that are a bit challenging. That lead part with all the chromatic notes was tricky to lay down because of my stupid fingers that want to land at logical places. I practiced it until I could record it without fault and the challenge was very refreshing for me. Will I do something like that again? Nope. Well, only if Rexy writes it on a future collab.. ;P

Recording these songs is part of my huge evil plan to get closer to Rexy. :D"

• 4 weeks later...

I remember being really impressed by the graphics of the PS1 when I first saw this game in action back in the day.

Anyways, this is a pretty fun rollicking mix, that rocks and features a pretty good soundscape. The backing instruments are really fun, and the slide guitar is a nice touch.

The banjo sequencing is a touch mechanical, but it is mixed well enough that it's not a issue. Good variation in all the parts, and overall I enjoyed it.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. The source is quite forgettable. You certainly did a rocking job with it. Very well-adapted to the instrumentation. You manage to convey a lot of energy considering so many of the instruments aren't live. I'd say my biggest gripe is that the electric guitar is a bit forward in the mix, but really this is short, sweet, to the point, and doesn't give you time to get bored.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Can't disagree with the boy's judgements. This is a fun mix that really pulls forward a lot of different moves in a sort time. I agree with Vig that the guitar feels a little too far forward, making the track almost a little sparse feeling at times, but it's not a dealbreaker in any way. Lots of fun and definitely keeps my interest.

YES