Amp sims?

Are there any good virtual amps that provide guitars (sampled or real) with a really heavy tone. I'm using shreaddage and Guitar Rig but the tone's too thin for me. I'm going to try GR with a real guitar soon to see if I start to get the tone I want.

If the tone's too thin, you're probably not tweaking things to your liking.

You might want to try the plugin that was just released with the Shreddage update (Peavey's Revalver HPse), though there's really no reason why Guitar Rig wouldn't be good enough.

Revalver MKiii has the best sounding distortion. And their Peavey amps are spot on 100% accurate. But saying that an amp sim isn't "heavy" enough is just silly. You just need to learn to work with it. You can get the heaviest sounding tone ever out of an amp in your bedroom and when you mic and record it it'll sound like a pube being plucked.

The golden rule is to use less gain. For rhythm guitars especially. Less gain= more clarity and crunch (to a certain extent), and your low-mid EQ will do more than it would on a very distorted sound. Chorusing wont give you a heavier, fatter sound, it'll just spread the sound out a bit and create a thicker dynamic. Also, don't always rely on the amps EQ settings, most amps get really muddy when you crank up the low EQ on them. Back off on the amp EQ and make up for that cut with some post low end EQ.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm starting to find that I wanted thickness so I'm playing with EQ and chorus settings and starting to find something I like. In a somewhat related question I was wondering how I'd get

. I know how to do it with a real electric, just no gain and a thin tone, but could I do the same with a sample and not muddle it up?