OCR02260 - NiGHTS into dreams... "New Jack Mantle"

Definitely some smooth stuff. We've have nothing else like it, so this is a welcome debut from both Tryezz & DiGi!

Agreed. This is sexy as hell. I haven't been exposed to too much rap (a lot of OCR artists are turning me around to it though...), but DiGi does it for me ever SINGLE time. A complete natural. I'm looking forward to working with him in the future on some stuff.

Great job DiGI and Tryezz... definitely one of my favourites:D

Edited by AkumajoBelmont

Been grooving to this Mantle for quite some time now.

Like I said to DiGi, it's more G-funk than New Jack, but excellent nonethless.

Best way I can describe this one would be: Tha Dogg Pound and Roger 'Zapp' Troutman meets The Streets.

...with a hint of Dj Quick at times. ;)

A very smooth treat, even for people unfamiliar with hip-hop music.

Follow Tryezz and DiGi's advice: Don't waste no time and make your way to the dancefloor.

GO! :grin:

I just want to say a massive thanks for the warm welcome. I know that rap ain't everyones cup of tea ...and if that wasn't enough, to throw British vocals over the top of it could have almost been considered madness by some, lol. But seriously, thank you for giving me a chance here. It's truly appreciated.

Tryezz has always been one funky dude. I've been a fan of his music for years and i figured getting him on the Jackle tune would be an almost perfect match. I just never expected him to say yes, what with him being so busy. But here we are! It was an honour to work with him XD

As DJMokram mentioned, there's definitely G-Funk in there too, mixed with elements of New Jack Swing. This was the direction i wanted Tryezz to take it in. The Mantle tune was always the funkiest song from NiGHTS and i wanted to keep that funk part of the main genre for the tune.

The lyrics themselves were formed on the basis that the boss Jackle was designed by Sonic Team around the 'Death' and 'Grim Reaper' character. I wanted to play off of that concept while still making slight references to Jackle himself, such as the 'Jack-in-the-box' and 'Guillotine' references as those items make appearances in his stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Rap isn't totally my thing either, however this song got me grooving on my mp3 player

I only had one issue I wanted to mention: During the "Bounce" section, there should have been more vocals overlapping "bounce" in unison. Its kinda like that awkward guy during a party being the only one "bouncing," and everyone just kinda feels awkward to bouncing to him saying "bounce." But with more people chiming in "bounce," then its better with participation.

Wow, that was a lot of "bounce" in just that paragraph, I hope you get what I was trying to say. Otherwise, I dig it

Its kinda like that awkward guy during a party being the only one "bouncing,"
Hahah! Yeah, sounds just about right! XD

No no, in all seriousness i actually agree with you though. I added that section in more as an after thought rather than flesh out the idea of it properly during development of the tune. The bounce sounds like it needs a bit more oomf to give it that proper party feel.

Cheers for digging it though. I am happy that people who don't normally listen to rap are at least giving it a chance :)

Why? Can't say that makes much sense. If you were in a club setting, the other people wouldn't be chanting "Bounce" back at whoever was saying it, they'd be bouncing. :tomatoface:

Ok, I can understand what you're saying there...but I was going on the notion that there are more than just one vocalist in the song. Wouldn't you want all the vocalists chanting "bounce" to get the club "bouncing" rather than just one person chanting? It just seemed somewhat bland right there

but I was going on the notion that there are more than just one vocalist in the song.
Maybe i've misunderstood you here so my bad if i do but ...there's only one vocalist on this tune and that's me XD; Though i should have done some backing-vocals there too like how i did on the verses. Edited by DiGi Valentine

Maybe i've misunderstood you here so my bad if i do but ...there's only one vocalist on this tune and that's me XD; Though i should have done some backing-vocals there too like how i did on the verses.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I knew there was just one vocalist, but you did harmonize your own vocals in the verses which is what I was refering to, to give it the feel there was more than one. Overall though, its definitely not bad, and the British style rapping definitely gives it a nice and unique feel to it. The execution of the music was all rather well done too. I definitely prefer this over any other rap song out there. Ok, and the Parappa Rappa cooking song too :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got round to listening to the album, and this track jumps out at me more than most. Maybe it's the vocals, maybe it's the groove, but it just works so well together I'm blown away! Definitely feeling the Zapp & Roger vibe. Looking forward to more stuff like this.

Such a damn smooth and distinctly 80s solo in the middle as well... I can picture the washed-out cameras and disco balls on Top of the Pops during this bit, then BAM back to the present in the verse. Top drawer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
But am I the only one who can't listen to this without hearing the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" theme? Must be the 90's kid in me :)

Not "Fresh Prince" specifically, but the music made think of that era and style for sure. Plus I got reminded of Will Smith on the "bounce" bit. Funky and badass at the same time. I just enjoy the hip hop style this has, and the vocals are interesting to say the least. They totally fit in right into this song. This album has turned out so many awesome songs, that I have NiGHTS into dreams on my gaming list. So nice going, fellas!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02260 - NiGHTS into dreams... "New Jack Mantle"