MM4 Dr. Cossack Stage 2

MX-Z8

WIP 1:

Hey guys, I wanted to share this WIP with you. Please understand I'm still in the composition and arranging part of things and many aspects may be off (timing, dynamics, repetition, holes in the song, etc.) Hope you guys like this sample!!

stats.png

I like that it's got a kinda old skool midi vibe to it. But at the same time, I'm also pretty mixed on that sentiment.

It feels thin. The clap doesn't have bite the way I think a clap should. There are bits like that throughout this piece. The leads that I like because they're midi-esque, also lack the full sound that a lot of more complete instruments have.

As it is, I feel like this is right in the middle on this. Because some of the things you use do sound complete. And it's a combination of the two that doesn't work. If it's midi and minimal, some of the thick sounds (like that soft attack synth playing the quarter notes) just don't work for it. And if you want it to be thick and full sounding, you have to do quite a bit of processing to your midi type sounds.

Some people can really make this work much better than I can explain it, so I'ma hunt down an example: Now... Where did willrock run off to?

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02215/

If you want to thicken up those sounds, a few filter automations are going to work wonders for you. The same with some layering for your drum sounds or heavier reverb on your leads.

Oh I completely agree with you. Again I'm just in the composition and arranging phase of things. I still have a lot to do with the sounds. On the other hand, you gave me more insight on what I should (and shouldn't) do. Thanks for the feedback!

• 1 month later...

0:05 - For some reason, I think you should make the attack just a bit later than how it is now, to reduce the "clicking".

Also, some dynamic volumes would help a ton on the purely orchestral sections.

0:28 - The bass that starts to "arpeggiate" more there could have a boost in the bass frequencies. That could create a neat bassline. Maybe modify the velocities so that every other note is softer than the previous and next, to create that groove.

Some note-specific synth modulation would work well, too.

The reverse cymbal at 0:42 and 2:01 could have some more reverb. Just enough to give the remix that "beat drop" feeling without making it too overwhelming.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice ideas, kind of reminds me of soundtracks from 80's movies. But the instrumentation and balance do take away a lot from my enjoyment of it. The excellent Cossack tune is often drowned out by the driving rhythm.

Production aside, there are a few disharmonic harmonies scattered throughout. When you get closer to a final product I'll try to pinpoint them.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to working on this a little more. That's excellent that it appears to be coming along well. I'm really excited to work on this!

First, dynamics and mixing of course need to be worked on, but that will be later when the arrangement is hopefully really close to being done.

Second, there are parts in there that nothing really is happening which I may just cut out entirely or think of something to transition into. Haven't decided yet

Almost forgot....there may be some rhythmic inconsistencies or harmonic inconsistencies also which are noted (just lazy at this point but will be corrected!)

What do you guys think? Suggestions/opinions?

Thanks!!

stats.png