OCR02513 - *YES* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team 'From Here On'

OceansAndrew

damn, these games really have a lot of great source tunes.

the piano chords in the background playing 8th notes are stiffly sequenced. edit the note velocities and timing of your notes within the chords to give it a little more realism. the lead piano is pretty robotic sounding too, but I think it works in the melodic context. some of the samples (particularly choir and strings in the middle section) seem like they'd be questionable on their own, but overall the soundscape is really gelling for me, I dig this track quite a bit.

I like the arrangement. fairly conservative but a lot more energetic. there were some nice changes made to the melody, and the added arpeggios and stuff were really cool. my only real complaint is 2:26 being a direct repetition of the phrase before; introducing one last harmony or countermelody there would have really driven the climax home.

overall, aside from your blocky piano, I think there's a lot to like here. :)

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, that piano sequencing is not doing you any favors, and the melody is really buried and pushed back. Once it gets doubled, it's a lot better, and I am definitely feeling the arrangement and expansion here. It remains to be seen if the sequencing and production is good enough for a pass, though; as it skirts the line pretty close. The added counter melody lines are really nice, and the clicky percussion during the B section was interesting and cool, and the transition back to the chorus was very nice.

The ending was solid as well.

It's close, and I do think the sequencing could be better, but based on the style and arrangement strengths, I feel the song as a whole got there. :-)

Yes (though cutting it close ;-) )

• 2 months later...

I can't really add much to what's already been said. I like your upbeat take on a pretty somber source. Definitely agree the mechanical sequencing could've been improved. Specifically the piano and even moreso the guitarish chords at 1:04 were weak in this regard.

Reverb felt a bit heavy on some of the elements, which is causing a bit of muddiness. If you cut back on it, you may be able to get a cleaner sound in general

Beat is solid and there's some nice synthwork going around subltly around everything here.

Overall, the melodies and chords stick pretty close to the source, however, there's a lot of additive elements complimenting it all.

Yes

• 8 months later...