OCR01354 - *YES* Halo 1 & 2 'Insurrection'

djpretzel

This is yet another mix in my line of cinematic compositions. This time I decided to mix the popular Halo theme, although I have admittedly little interest in the actual game. Yes, I know the original is quite cinematic to begin with, but I thought I would put my own little spin on it while staying true to the original Halo feel.

My attempts have proven all to successful as people claim that my mix hardly deviates from the original at all, although a quick listen will show that I have integrated my own theme with the original and rearranged alot of the executions to make it all one smooth transition. On a side note, the end reprise is the Halo 2 theme.

My likes - A varied and original take on some themes from Halo. I really like the triplet shit going on at times like 2:23. Good string articulations too.

My beefs (beeves?) - Choir sounds painfully artificial at points, voicing of orchestra is a bit cluttered at times. Mostly a nitpick.

It's not exactly the most original presentation for a Halo mix, but the composition is sound and the concept is well-executed. And he used brass blats in a way that wasn't offensive or obnoxious.

YES

-D

I genuinely liked the theme and the genre adaptation, but I didn't feel this was interpretive enough of a go at remixing the Halo theme. Felt like the string work of the original was presented with some new ethnic instrumentation. 3:32-4:44 sealed it for me especially.

Great for an arrangement album if the conception is conservative, but I feel the interpretation standard is a lot higher esepcially if you're not doing much to change the genre of the original. The new ideas for harmony were good, definitely the highlight of the track given the new instrumentation choices, but you didn't take enough creative liberties with the melody or the structure.

I heard some good ideas where you tackled those as well, but I gotta see more interpretation or even more in the way of additive material. Reasonably well put together though the string samples lacked realism at times when they were exposed. Sorry, Kris.

NO (definitely resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I love the development and buildup of energy of this piece. The dynamics are schweet. I also enjoy the drum work. It reminds me, however vaguely, of the tribal drumwork in the Heroes of Might and Magic series. In fact, this sounds like some odd cross-over of the two, which, in my humble opinion, would be an awesome Frankenstein's monster.

Regardless, not the best uber tera-samples in the world, and yes, the vocals do sound factory-wrapped. But the sounds are wielded so finely, so carefully, who cares.

YES

Arbiter, your journey begins