OCR00451 - Silent Hill 2 & 1 "Static Aversion"

Ginnsu

Silent Hill 2 'Static Aversion'

This one is going to take some eccentric souls to appreciate, but then I know a lot of people here are eccentric anyways. At some points the static gets unnervingly freaky, but noting the subject matter of the game, I’m sure that striking fear into peoples souls was part of CotMM’s intention (as his intention with almost everything he does). The work with the guitars in this mix is absolutely superb. This is a real piece of work by Children of the Monkey Machine and Steve Pordon.

• 3 months later...

I really like this remix or rather remixes and the electric guitar gives it a really good alternative -hardcore feel that hits home with such remixes as done by Marilyn Manson for the hit movie "Resident Evil". But to my own personal taste it brings into the world of Silent Hill. One cool thing I noticed was that the radio static also has an advertisement for a Mental Health Clinic or a Clinic of some kind, but the first thing that popped into my head was a picture of the hospital from Silent Hills 1 and 2, I can only anticipate what remixes these two may come out with for the next installment of Silent Hill, I also have several friends that love the remix.

• 2 months later...

How deliiightfulllly spooky... I really appreciate this one. Having played the game just a little, the taste it left me with matches up with this mix perfectly. The mood it sets is so great... melancholy, yet tensed up on the edge. The intermittent static is great. Makes ya feel so... unsafe. And scared. It's not easy for music to do that ya know. Course we also got melodies and themes mingled in, so it's better than just ambient "I'm gonna jump out and surprise ya any second" kinda scary music. Yep, this is better.

Boy, I really rambled there, but all in all - I like this one alot. Perfect mood-setting, nice use of the game music, and excellent mixing. I listen to this one more than any other CotMM mixes too, I have to say. Whether that's good or bad I'm not sure, but I love this mix.

-Mazedude

• 1 year later...

This is one of those songs you would hear during a bad dream.

Somethings there, but you dont see it. It hits you, the minute you wake up.

On the tv, the screen is all static, but there's no remote. Can't change the channel. Is it broken?

=====+

This is really sounds more like a BGM track. Just with added noize to bring that effect to life.

And it really messes with you after awhile..

Good stuff, that should never be forgotten. 8)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This song is exactly why CotMM is one of my favorite mixers. Both of you have done an excellent job on this brilliant mix. Very haunting and, at times, utterly rocking. Much like the original Yamaoka tunes, though more like the harsh, original style of the first game met up with the melancholy, melodic style of the second, fell in love, and the result is this--their only child. Yeah, a great mix even if my nonsense metaphors don't show a high enouch appreciation. Around 2'10, when the opening to 'Laura' kicks in... That is truly a euphoric musical experience.

• 1 month later...

The song itself is quite good, but it just didn't feel like Silent Hill. The first part is the only part taken from Silent Hill 1, and it's one of those songs that you almost don't remember. It took me a few days to pick out which song it was, because I honestly couldn't tell. The second segment just lacked in the way the style was. They tried to to rock, but there wasn't enough bass, not enough harmonization, and the part originially played by the violin in the original song is taken up by the guitar, the SAME guitar doing the rest of the melody, which just sounds screwed up. The last part has no bass at all, and the very high pitched guitar doing the back melody is not SH sounding at all, and doesn't provide enough structure to back up the really loud guitar it will be accompanying. (SP?) It seemed rather thrown together without any fine tuning, or as if the people making it had NEVER played any Silent Hill games. They essentially took the original songs, removed parts, distorted the sound, and added static, which I found REALLY annoying. When I want to hear music, I have a few gigs of it on my computer, but when I want static, I've got a radio in my room I can listen to anytime. The static-like stuff going on in "Act3 - Search for Cheryl" Is quite good. In fact, it's still one of my favorite remixes and it's on all of my haloween mixes that gets requested from me. This remix is just... Not good enough to keep my attention. 2 out of 5.

• 10 months later...

You can just see the SH characters listening to this on their broken radios. But i felt that the static was WAY too overpowering of the song. And since you never break through the static entirely (even at around 3+ minutes it seems that the static will persist, even with the electric guitar kicking the Static around), The song remains just a slightly above average song.

Too few comments on this one? I think think so

Falls under one of the best remixes in the site for me, both mixers do their jobs very well and mix together in a way few groups can. CotMM keeps everything spooky while Steve knows how to vibe with him on his guitar

It's not hard to see why this was let in even because the file size is over the limit, it's too good to leave out

• 1 year later...

Definitly starts out not my type of music, but it is very well done regardless of how I feel about the "genre" of ambient noise.

Once the 30 minute intro is over, it distinctly picks up, and the guitar is nice, especially the backing chords. Overall theres a bit too much static, and the lead tone on the guitar is a bit too bright, but it's a good mix. Nice work guy would be proud.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

The idea of using the static/searching for signal sounds for this game isn't the most unique, but it has it's effect and makes a creative track. Having the static come back in every so often was a nice touch, but I found it annoying a couple of time when I'd rather focus on the music than the static.

I'm a little put off that it felt like the track took 3 minutes to get really started, and by then was nearing the halfway mark, but when this does get started it's pretty good. Not what I would have expected from CotMM, but it's always interesting to hear mixer's earlier works.

The melodies felt a little soft compared to the volume of the static in between sections, I would have liked that to come up a little in relation, or have the static brought down a tad. Other than that, it's a fun and interesting listen.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Steve Pordon review:

As it's not really easy to distinguish who did what, this might be hard to separate the two remixers out, but oh well. Interesting intro. A very creepy vibe which is very appropriate given the subject material. The transitions were an interesting idea. I'll give the lack of punch in the drums over to the creative notion that they were trying to create the idea of a poorly transmitted radio signal. The automated panning of the guitar was a nice touch all around. I generally don't like guitars drowning in verb, but considering the vibe they were going for, I actually really enjoyed it here and there. A very simple and minimalist arrangement, which has Steve written all over it. A very experimental piece, but it worked pretty well.

• 5 years later...

I like how somber the melodic content is in the opening haze. The constant distortion is nice, especially when things kick in at 2:10. I like how the static slowly fades and subtly returns with less prominence. CotMM's textures complement the guitar well. 4:45 is honestly gorgeous. Very interesting mix, really liking CotMM's haunted industrial noise.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00451 - Silent Hill 2 "Static Aversion"
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00451 - Silent Hill 2 & 1 "Static Aversion"