Contact info:

ReMixer name: Devastus

User ID: 38159

Submission info:

Games arranged: Wild Arms

Invidual songs arranged: 'The Power Which Supports The World'

Link to the original (just in case): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsrr0Dxq1pk

Comments:

I just happened to buy myself a new computer due to the old one busting out at the time of the Wild Arms: ARMed and DANGerous album project, and were anxious to see whether a month of plain noodles for dinner was worth it. Thus it's no surprise I went for a really massive rock orchestration with this one, over 60 tracks overall containing multiple layers of everything and beyond.

While the original is more ominous in it's style, I felt Wild Arms needed it's own epic workout routine montage - remix to the catalog, so I went and tried to provide that as a large, soundwall-mixed rock opera. 99% guarantee of feeling the need to lift some weights or run those long stairs that you've always hated all the way up while listening to this!

Hope you guys like it, it was a blast to work on it at the very least.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the distorted rhythm guitar was mixed a little too loud in this mix, but otherwise, this was pretty powerful. Nice dynamics, good atmosphere, great expansion, It's just the overly loud rhythm guitars that bring it down. The ending was also a bit abrupt, but isn't a massive issue.

I do think the volume of the rhythm guitars is enough of an issue to go conditional on this one. It's so good otherwise, though. :-)

Yes (conditional on guitar volume)

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno, I think there's a few more balance issues that I think could be tweaked around with. One example is the strings that have a little counter melody 2:15 sound completely buried out and distant. Maybe fidgiting around with the compression as well.

I think it's super close, but I think it's a little more work than a conditional vote.

NO (resubmit, please!)

• 1 month later...

Oooohh, this is a tough one. I'm definitely sold on the strength of your arrangement right off the bat, this is a very dramatic and powerful take on the source. However, I know you finished this mix in under a day and, unfortunately that sort of shows in the mixing :? I'm inclined to say that simply bringing down the levels of the rhythm guitars will solve most of the issues I'm hearing, but there's a a chance that it might need more of a rebalancing job than just that, it's hard to tell at this point. Even if it isn't perfect after that though, toning down those guitars would very likely push this over my personal bar, even if it alone doesn't achieve perfection, the arrangement is extremely good and, despite a weak ending is doing a lot to help push this from a NO (resub) to a YES (conditional) in my mind. Close vote, but I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here. Just get those guitars tamed and I think you'll be good to go.

YES (conditional on rhythm guitar levels)

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent arrangement, but have to agree that the rhythm guitars aren't sitting perfectly in the mix. Besides being slightly too loud, I feel like they're taking up too much foreground in the way they're produced. Sometimes it's hard to hear the orchestral work because of that. It's not a huge deal though, because I can still make everything out. Let's see if Jani wants to take a stab at re-mixing, but if he said this is the final, I would still pass it.

YES

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I can tell you from experience that it's really hard to get the mix down right with rock orchestra pieces. Orchestra does feel marginalized in the rock sections as mentoined before, but at least it's audible.

The slow attack on the strings was a little distracting to me as it falls behind the beat once the rock section kicks in. The samples themselves aren't fantastic, but they're serviceable (larryism :tomatoface:).

Great energy once it all kicks in with the rhythm guitars and performance was solid. While I'd like to hear it mixed a bit better, with so much going for it I don't want to hold it back.

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

The drums were definitely a weak link here as well and sounded pretty flimsy. I thought the arrangement was solid, but agreed with the production criticisms. During the build, for example, the bassline was playing lines from the source, but the bass level were so low and overly subdued that it's easy to completely miss it.

That said, I'm in Palp and Nutritious's camp that I could live with this as is, though I'd also prefer another pass at the balance and production if Jani's up for it.

YES

• 3 weeks later...