FFX HD Remaster for PS3 and Vita

Brandon Strader

I'm not a freak fan but, it should be seven.

It really should be.

you know, it would be nice if they put that energy into something else... something new. A follow up to a franchise that they left behind, despite how well it was received. Like say, oh... Einhander II.
I am so not interested in this. I'd prefer an HD Chrono Cross rerelease. That'd be swell.
Aside from graphics, translation and audio quality, FF7 still stands the test of time. The game is extremely long with tons of side quests, secrets, character customization, etc. Combat is still fast-paced and fun, between limit breaks, lots of magic/summons and command combinations. A next-gen remake/retranslation of the game would easily stand on its own.
Same with Spiderman movies. I don't think a remake is possible.

What they said... +"Rad Racer" to The Coop's comment.

• 1 year later...

Ehh if thats a screenshot it doesn't look as excellent as the game would have to be to get me to buy it.

X is my favourite FF but I still have a PS2 and a copy of FFX. They'd have to have made the remaster really special (I'm talking like extra content or FREAKING BLITZBALL ONLINE) to make me buy it.

Was a bizarre choice to remaster X really, it's not old enough to warrant it really in my eyes or at least it holds up so well it doesn't really need a glaze of HD unless you are a big graphics junkie.

Honestly, 90% of the VO in FFX is great work -- it's just that the one laughing clip is the only thing people think about. Wakka in particular is incredibly well done.

The only reason to remake / re-release FFX or FFX-2 is to include all of the bonus bosses from the International Editions of the game. Graphically they look just fine, and upscaled higher-res textures isn't going to make a significant impact.

I've said this before in other threads, but will mention it here again: while I highly prefer both FFVI and FFIX, it's FFVII that really needs a graphical update -- the game was released when 3D gaming was in its infancy, and it shows.

That video has such a crap framerate, it's hard to see how good anything is anyway.

I agree it'd be worth it if they put in the international material. I never got to play that version. It would also be worth it if they fixed their polygon jitter problem. Watch FFX close-ups sometime, especially when a character is moving slowly or just slightly. There's polygon wiggle all over the damn place.

Honestly, 90% of the VO in FFX is great work -- it's just that the one laughing clip is the only thing people think about. Wakka in particular is incredibly well done.

The only reason to remake / re-release FFX or FFX-2 is to include all of the bonus bosses from the International Editions of the game. Graphically they look just fine, and upscaled higher-res textures isn't going to make a significant impact.

I've said this before in other threads, but will mention it here again: while I highly prefer both FFVI and FFIX, it's FFVII that really needs a graphical update -- the game was released when 3D gaming was in its infancy, and it shows.

Uhhh, no. Tidus, Yuna, Seymour, the 3 most important characters in the game, are terribly acted. The ronso, guado, all the maesters, and every extra was just done horribly wrong. The only 2 that actually did a decent job was Auron, and Jecht. If you want an example of voice acting done right, look at FFXII. The script is just as important as the performance and that one was done beautifully. Vaan and Vayne were only alright, but the rest of the cast was as good as you could have hoped for. FFX has nothing but the excuse that it was their first attempt at voicing a game.

+1.

Seriously, give it to FF7 or FF9.

Sure but it's not so easy, y'see that's where things cross the border from remaster to remake. There's a whole lot more work into converting something so radically different in graphical quality as 7 (despite so much fan demand) into something palatable for a modern console it'd have to be a full-on remake.

An while I imagine the international version might not be too much of a stretch it's still not a big deal to many fans for who that was the standard version.

Re: bad voice acting...

FFX was a victim of it's translation I think. Yuna's awkward pauses may work in japanese (I have no idea if they do) but they made it impossible to write her dialogue in english well. Some of the characters are well done (Auron, Wakka, Lulu, Maechen) but yah, not great on the whole. Also, no one told the guy who plays tidus that 'my old man' is an excruciatingly stupid way of saying dad, it was the idiot translater.

By comparison, FFXII is just about the best translation of any game ever. The delivery may be a bit hammy from some characters (Reddas, Balthier, Cid), but it suits the hell out of the shakespearean tone imo. It sounds awesome every time someone speaks for me. I know a lot of people didn't care for the plot but I've yet to see a better dialogue cutscene then the one with Ache and the Occuria.

Edited by Fishy

Re: bad voice acting...

FFX was a victim of it's translation I think. Yuna's awkward pauses may work in japanese (I have no idea if they do) but they made it impossible to write her dialogue in english well. Some of the characters are well done (Auron, Wakka, Lulu, Maechen) but yah, not great on the whole. Also, no one told the guy who plays tidus that 'my old man' is an excruciatingly stupid way of saying dad, it was the idiot translater.

By comparison, FFXII is just about the best translation of any game ever. The delivery may be a bit hammy from some characters (Reddas, Balthier, Cid), but it suits the hell out of the shakespearean tone imo. It sounds awesome every time someone speaks for me. I know a lot of people didn't care for the plot but I've yet to see a better dialogue cutscene then the one with Ache and the Occuria.

Cid was hammy, but he also had one of the best voices of the entire cast. The game's story wasn't the best, but it managed to capture that sense of grandeur in its world.

FFX's cast feels like an anime cast, which has its ups and downs. It's a good story that didn't quite have the voice acting capacity to match it; the hard-hitting serious moments have their impacts somewhat blunted by bad voicing. I don't think it hurt the game too badly, but it did occasionally dampen the mood.

I also feel the same way about its soundtrack. A few memorable tracks, but often not quite grandiose enough to fit its surroundings.

This point of view is also tempered by a few years' distance, so it could be it wasn't as bad as I remember it being.

There's also a difference between bad voice acting, and you just not liking the voices. FFX was straight-on, there was only 1 line I can think of that was bad, and that was near the end of the game when you're crossing a bridge I think it was, and you come up on a few enemies, and Tidus runs up and whispers angrily at them instead of yelling.

• 1 month later...

So apparently Gematsu mentioned that the next Shonen Jump would have details on FFXHD. These details were that that the PS3 version of FFXHD will also contain FFX-2HD, whereas the two will be sold separately on Vita. Shonen Jump has since followed suit with the rumors and mentioned this as well.

It also seems they're planning on a release sometime this year.

edit: Yep it's official.

747267461.jpg

Edited by Mirby