FFX HD Remaster for PS3 and Vita

Brandon Strader

Also...you slogged through that garbage for however many hours and still, in the end (spoiler), found nothing. In order to ALMOST find something, you had to get the game to 100%, which hurt. Even then, though, what did you get? A three second glimpse of Tidus amid the ambiguity that she might not have actually found him? Pah!

I always find it weird how people will complain about the plot of X-2, but worship final fantasy games from the 1990s that actually had far more absurd plots.

In a nutshell:

VII: Some guy with long, silver hair plans to slam a space-rock into a magical planet so that he can intercept its healing energy so that he may resurrect a dead alien and become all powerful or something.

VIII: A bunch of mercenary/highschool kids defend humanity from space witches from the future.

Fast forward to X-2 and we have a story about 3 treasure hunting girls setting out to find the protagonist's lost love.

I always find it weird how people will complain about the plot of X-2, but worship final fantasy games from the 1990s that actually had far more absurd plots.

I think it's pretty easy to make any plot sound absurd if you put that tone on it. There actually used to be a guy that wrote for TV guide that used to do that. For the Wizard of Oz, he wrote: "A young girl in a new land kills the first person she meets, then teams up with three strangers to kill again."

So, yeah. You can make anything sound stupid with the right verbage.

Edit:

any story will look ridiculous if you reduce it like that

Ninja'd...

I actually thought a lot of the plot to X-2 was rather interesting. I liked how it touched on the old war that created Sin and things back then found the backstory pretty interesting.

It was how they carried it out that seemed a little off about the game, sure the combat was fine, awkward lesbian orgasmic massages for LeBlanc are not, upskirts of barely-legal girls hanging off cliffs, awkward spa-scenes of men being mistakenly accused of spying on female goons there, ACTUAL videos of one of the antagonists spying on female goons at a spa.

All those things....not quite ok.

Hah, I feel like the realism conversation has already happened on this forum.... But no,... The characters are humanoids (not humans, because humans can't use magic)... It's pretty much just "realistic" in the sense that things look like what we're used to. And that's probably a smart way to design things.

Speaking of designing things, as much as I'm disappointed that they didn't really go above and beyond with the remaster, I am excited to play this game again. There's still no real release date. :cry: Just December 31st, 2013... which usually means TBA but within the year, unless they're REALLY planning on releasing that day, which is odd.

I made this thread in September 2011. Holy damn.

• 5 weeks later...

"I mean, if we HAD to single out one of the vast number of Final Fantasy titles which we could make in HD, it would have to be Final Fantasy XII," he said. "I was not involved in the project, though, so we can't really comment on that."

"What I can say though is that I hope the remastering of X and X-2 will trigger similar projects for more of the past games."

This is a joke right?

Ok, they could do HD remasters of ff7, ff8, ff9... but they had better do it for REAL and not just make it widescreen and update the models, without adding more polygons... Goshdarnit, I don't trust Square-Enix to make a non-lazy HD remaster.

I know the art they used for these games was painted large and then downsized for the games. So it would probably be SOMEWHAT easy to do this, but would they do it right? WOULD THEY? From what I saw of the ff8 remaster they're already doing, quick answer was No, but I haven't really seen much of that. But still, no. They didn't do it right.

I would love to see Dirge of Cerberus remastered in HD though. Especially those Advent Children-quality cutscenes.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

If this is Square-Enix's idea of an HD remaster, they can [redacted]

FF9 in-game paintings should look like this, watch them be lazy and use the crappy versions like they did for ff8.

alexandria-mini-theater.jpg

Edited by Brandon Strader

They didn't do paintings for backgrounds in FF7/8/9, they rendered them in 3D and then made a static image of it. So technically it's a big background image, but it's not painted.

And yeah, I don't trust them with any HD remakes for the older games after the FF7 "HD" re-release for PC. Making the field of view wider doesn't matter when all you're seeing is more outdated polygonal crap at once.

That guy has more in his forum topic than the entire FF9 art book, which is kind of sad on Square's part. Anyway that's an awesome topic, and a lot easier to navigate than the gallery of the 3D artist who did most of the FF9 backgrounds (he has a clunky flash site). Did you look at the topics he did for Metroid? The guy did some big-time digging for some wonderful material that we normally wouldn't see.

/offtopic

Back to what Brandon was saying about HD remasters...what about porting the Playstation Final Fantasies to smartphones and tablets? I mean yeah, there is emulation out there, but right now SE's offerings for mobile are kind of missing the right audience, which is sad because they're out there. I think if they said "hey we have Final Fantasy VIII with bonus material" they might get more of their usual customers and fewer idiots complaining "the voice over was left in asian". Smartphone and tablet gamers aren't all casual gamers looking for something to do on their lunch break, so it'd be nice to see a developer like Square-Enix targeting those people. I mean hey, they have Chrono Trigger up there.

Hmm, I did post one of those ff9 pictures in my post, but I thought they were paintings because of the somewhat watercolory look of it. If they're 3D renders then that's even better if they still have those, it means they could produce larger versions. They'd be vector, right?

So if they actually put out the high res versions of those backgrounds, and upgraded the character models, that's a FF HD remaster I would buy. If it's like those ff8 pictures I posted, I'd skip it. I already have ff7/8/9 on PSN and frankly they look better than those pictures. :3

PS: Did anyone ever hear for sure whether the International version stuff is being released as paid DLC? for FFX / X-2

Edited by Brandon Strader

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, I did post one of those ff9 pictures in my post, but I thought they were paintings because of the somewhat watercolory look of it. If they're 3D renders then that's even better if they still have those, it means they could produce larger versions. They'd be vector, right?

It would be a scene in a 3D modeling program (3DS Max, Maya, etc). Assuming they kept a backup of all the source material (this would be the biggest issue if they didn't. You'd be surprised how often this stuff gets tossed). It could technically be done, but they'd have to open up each and every scene and wait for it to render again. Computers have come along way since then so I dont think it would take the time it did before, but its still a large time investment. Also if switching to a widescreen angle, probably make sure the static camera sees everything correclty in widescreen, which could lead to them adusting every single scene. Its much more than just putting it in HD res (maybe doubling some texture sizes) and calling it a day like they do with "HD" versions of games.

Edited by Crowbar Man

I can understand a new ending for X as I am assuming they never ended X with the notion of the X-2 storyline coming to play. I never beat X-2 as I got so upset at missing half a percentage point from not touching the moogle suit in the first scene and quit halfway so never saw X-2's ending.

If you pre-order the game, you get a 20-page art book and fancy packaging. The link also includes a side-by-side comparison video, which shows how much the textures were cleaned up.

Ugh all that video has made me think is how well FFX has aged and how needless a remake was. The SD version is slightly paler and at the same time more colourful and the characters still look good when they want to look good in SD and still look pointy where they would be pointy in HD.

I'd like to see the battle models, those were the only ones that really looked ugly in game so I'm wondering how much they could have improved on them.

Edited by Ptazza

It's not that a remaster wasn't needed, it's that Square-Enix didn't do nearly as good of a job with a remaster as they should have, making this basically just look like an upscaled PS2 game (which is what it is).

I suppose, I'd hoped that it wouldn't be another case of 'jumpin on the HD bandwagon' and it would be drastically improved but I guess not.

Least the Americans get some extra benefits from it but it's looking like a pass for me, though the fancy cover looks nice.

I suppose, I'd hoped that it wouldn't be another case of 'jumpin on the HD bandwagon' and it would be drastically improved but I guess not.

Least the Americans get some extra benefits from it but it's looking like a pass for me, though the fancy cover looks nice.

As this and rogue galaxy are the only reason my PS2 is still in my house hoping to get played (even though there is never time) I am glad to be able to play it again regardless of graphics. Since I spend 3 hours a day on the bus going to and from work, I am just glad it is accessible again.

Though I agree with everyone else that this wasn't much of a game that really needed a remaster, more of just a re release.