OCR02471 - *YES* No More Heroes 'The 51st'

DragonAvenger

YAAAIIIIII~~~~

It's the livin' on a prayer intro synth!! :o

Production on this is pretty good, but there are a few sections that feel light on source, most notably the intro. Beyond that, it's varied melodically, with some adjustments made to the melody, and though it gets a little repetitive, considering the source was like 6 minutes of the same riff over and over, this is a pretty truncated version.

I think this is good enough overall, the song being just long enough to make it's point is a definite plus here, and it covers the source material well enough and in a cool way.

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little more on the fence than Andrew on this one, actually, because of how repetitive it is. While it is true that the source itself is repetitive, I think there's more you could have done to add variation to the melody as you were going through. Without that repetition, I'll admit my ears were getting tired listening to the same riff, especially when combined with the general loudness of the track and the bass (which is pretty cool, though!).

It's close, but I'd like you to add a bit more variation.

NO (resubmit, please)

• 1 month later...

Some pretty sick bass work here, that's a great way to get a listener hooked right off the bat. I hear what Deia's saying, this could use a lot of melodic variation to keep my interest, but I'm recognizing that you at least took steps to change up how you present the melody, so that even though it's the same riff over and over again, you change up the octave every so often and introduce other synths on occasion. The lead writing is definitely not the strongest aspect of the track, but I'm actually inclined to say that I'm okay with it here, just by a hair. That's something to watch for in your future submissions, for sure, but I don't think I'd mind seeing this on the front page in its current form, given the strength of every other aspect of this song.

YES (borderline)

• 2 months later...

Can't say I like this source too much, but your approach tried to do a lot more with it. That's a good start. You did some great bass work and the automation gets pretty wild. Nobody's mentioned this but I have to say I found the highest synth way too grating to use for so much of the song. It was in play almost the entire time. I feel a little weird rejecting it solely on that basis, and I might reconsider based on what other people say, but I had a hard time even getting through one listen.

NO (resubmit)

YEEEEEAAH

EDIT: okay i guess is should write something.

Pretty solid dubstep stuff. There really isn't that much to the source but I think you did a great job with letting your piece evolve from start to finish. I agree with Vinnie that the high buzzing synth gets kind of grating but it's not a dealbreaker for me. And unlike Deia (who is a woman and therefore foolish), I don't think the piece suffers from being repetitive.

Great stuff.

Some pretty sick bass work here, that's a great way to get a listener hooked right off the bat. I hear what Deia's saying, this could use a lot of melodic variation to keep my interest, but I'm recognizing that you at least took steps to change up how you present the melody, so that even though it's the same riff over and over again, you change up the octave every so often and introduce other synths on occasion. The lead writing is definitely not the strongest aspect of the track, but I'm actually inclined to say that I'm okay with it here, just by a hair. That's something to watch for in your future submissions, for sure, but I don't think I'd mind seeing this on the front page in its current form, given the strength of every other aspect of this song.

Pretty much this. The source was very repetitive, and this did a great job of putting your own spin on it with evolving variations that, while somewhat repetitive, were unique and clearly substantive and interpretive enough to get by. I wasn't put off at all by that one synth Vinnie mentioned.

The main thing I was put off by was the overly lossy-sounding mixing. I thought the 160kbps encoding hurt this some. This sounded too lossy and lacked high-end. Normally this kind of lossy sound would be too jacked for me to pass, but this was carried by the arrangement, IMO. All things considered, good enough to get the nod. Good stuff, Joshua, and looking forward to the next sub!

YES (borderline)

Diggin the formant synth. Drums were solid. Original is super repetative, but there is a lot that you do to vary things up here, which prevent me from getting bored or tuning it out.

Yeah, that buzzy lead synth does get a bit grating to the ears. Not sure how Larry doesn't hear it - they do say you lose some of your high frequency hearing as you get old (oh snap). I wouldn't really want to listen to this at too high of volume on my headphones for too long.

I think this could have better frequency & mixing balance, but there's a lot of cool effects & creativity in the writing to make me feel comfortable passing it.

Yes (borderline)