OCR02576 - *YES* Super Dodge Ball 'Almost Frozen'

OceansAndrew

Remixer 1 Name: Rexy (real name: Beverley Wooff)

OCRemix user ID: 7528

Remixer 2 Name: Monobrow (real name: Katie Kinkel)

OCRemix user ID: 8274

Remix info:-

Remix title: "Almost Frozen"

Game covered: Super Dodge ball

Individual song covered: Team Iceland

---

Rexy:

"Well, this track ended up being over 6 years in the making, much to my annoyance. "Almost Frozen" could imply a double meaning now - not only may it reflect on the sluggish nature of Team Iceland in the game, but it could also mean that this track in particular almost *froze* the entire development of the project. For those that have waited for so long, and for Walan as well, I am so sorry! :(

I worked on this track since the project's interception back in 2005, and the intention I had in there was to develop some kind of icy atmosphere. It did however keep changing genres throuut the whole production process due to my sick realisation on knowing that there's some that certainly don't show the best of me as a writer at all. Close to the end of development though it did take more of a pseudo-symphonic and ambient approach while still fitting with the pacing of the rest of the project tracks.

The reason why the project took so long to get through the evluation was because my soundbank at the time really didn't hold out that well, and so I asked around the #ocremix IRC for help. Luckily, Monobrow was there to give me a hand (could this be the first known OCR collab comprised entirely of girls?) - she took my project file and ended up giving it a complete overhaul, maintaining the structure but also having more liberties in writing and switching some parts around. No longer did it maintain some kind of symphonic hint but it did take itself into a more 70s-organ-driven-blues kind of way while ephasizing on the icy field of play a lot more than I could've done on a production level.

I offer my thanks both to her for all the assistance she had in really making the track shine, to Walan and KyleJCrb for all the work done with the project's organisation, and to SnappleMan for his sadistic yet helpful inputs throughout the whole process. ^_~"

---

Monobrow:

"I volunteered to help Rexy redo this track last minute. It turned out to be a difficult task! Her original arrangement progression though was very solid, which eased the process. My work basically included revamping the instrumentation, reworking/moving/writing, and synth/organ/drum wankery everywhere. I tried to stay true to her arrangement as much as possible, but ended up changing some chord progression at the end. My intent was to take her previously icy arrangement and turn it into an insane blizzard, which I heard potential for instantly. Think COLD HARD ORGAN. I imagine some dude getting caught in the snowstorm from ice-hell and he's battling the biting wind, making his way home against all odds... That or a bunch of Scandinavian dudes having the craziest volleyball tournament EVER.

Special thanks to Snappleman for cool things and Walan and Kyle for their infinite patience."

-Bev & Katie-

• 4 weeks later...

Still gotta say, that source tune is....lacking in entertainment quality for me. That being said, I think both of you did as good of a job with it as I would have imagined. I am pretty much fine with the arrangement, and production is definitely better. I will agree with Andrew that the bells are a little bit much, and could stand to come down. It's a pretty easy fix, so I know you gals will get this back quick!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Note, I'm voting on the fixed version.

The soundscape was sparse, and really could have used something to pad out the background and create a fuller sound. While it was too it was too quiet from 1:50-2:04, the light string work at 3:04-3:57 and 5:04-5:46 worked well to help fill that void; I really wish there had been something else earlier to fill that kind of role.

The instruments sounded muffled as well, as if there was a very light delay applied that prevented any of the instruments from sounding sharp. I like the arrangement overall, but the instrumentation still sounds too sparse. Though the organ dominates, the textures are so empty, the track comes off as more of a (great) arrangement sketch with incomplete instrumentation than a fully fleshed out production. I've been looking forward to these revisions, and there's a huge improvement, but the overall product still sounds too bare. If there's some way to fill the space better with an added part or further post-production work on what's currently there, this could definitely be raised above the bar.

NO (resubmit)

Gotta agree with Larry that the background felt very empty but I heard some writing in there often - I think this is extremely close to a pass for that reason. A rebalancing would likely put this over the line, though some light pads in the emptier sections would really make it shine. Maybe just some more reverb on the drums would help. I'm tempted to give this the nod as is because it's pretty solid work but it feels just short of the bar.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Awesome arrangement! There are some really cool ideas on display here that makes me think strongly of progressive rock. I feel like i'm just copying larrys vote after reading it, but this still needs some work in the production department. Like people have said, this sounds empty, and the drums don't feel like they quite fit texturally. This needs something like a guitar part to help ground things a little more, this feels a bit airy atm. I think that this needs very little work to pass, but the production issues are holding this one back. Like Larry said, either add another instrument to fill out the space or do some production work via EQing etc. Good luck with the rest of the vote!

NO (resub

listening to this having not heard the last version since I judged it, which I don't quite recall, but it looks like I liked it. I thought this was pretty well done anyway, I think NO-ing this one right now is a little harsh, and though I can see where the crits are coming from, the arrangement is super-creative and I personally liked the quirky/chaotic soundscapes a lot, no complaints with the general sound/aesthetic of the piece

YES