OCR02300 - NiGHTS into dreams... "Beyond the Dream"

djpretzel

There's about 70 seconds of variations on Gate of your Dream (out of 351 total seconds) so it's not exactly a remix, but it is a pretty sweet original song with a small homage to Gate of your Dream in there.

If "Gate of Your Dream" were the only source, I'd agree with you. I forgot to also add "Dreams Dreams":

"Gate of Your Dream" - 0:44-1:33, 3:33-3:58 = 72 seconds

"Dreams Dreams" - 1:36.5-1:46 (liberal), 1:48-1:59 (liberal), 2:10-2:22, 2:23-2:34, 2:35-2:58, 3:01-3:08.5, 3:10-3:16 (too liberal noodling until 3:30), 3:59-4:08, 4:09.5-4:20.5 (liberal), 4:29-4:35, 4:36-4:45 (liberal), 5:33.5-5:43 = 124.5 seconds

I could totally hear rubina in this remix, infact when i heard it was like "wait why is rubina on thi...oh its the nights theme.."

I've enjoyed satch's work ever since my friend introduced me to the artist and seeing as this song reminds me of his slow kinda love songs.

To me its as close to orgasmic as you could get.

Thanks sixto, now I'm gonna need new pants.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Strangely, when I first heard the track I thought due to the acoustics and room space it would be more compared to Eric Johnson, though having heard Satch's "Rubina" I guess I could see the comparison now.

It doesn't change the fact that the performance here definitely takes Sixto in a more different light - gentle, more interpretive, and yet still shows his versatility as a guitarist. I really dig the chorus effect work on the tone early on; for me it adds a lot towards the atmosphere and really reflects on this twilit tone going towards it.

You may say what you like about the source usage, but I heard Gate of Your Dream and the referenced parts of Dream Dreams just fine for most of the track, or at least up until the solo at the 4:30 mark. I say the recognisability is there, and I am sure that's a key component of Sixto's arrangement style even if it's not quite as straightforward as we'd usually expect (not a bad thing at all :D).

So, definitely one of thost more 'different' tracks from Sixto but for me it paid off by being one of the strongest tracks on Lucid Dreaming. Nice going :)

Oooh, I like. Loving the main beat coming off the drums while the guitars makes a nice sweep with the entire melody. Source usage was fantastic and I feel totally at home with the late 80's sound of it, especially around the soloing. I could definitely see good vocals being added in it that was the intention when it was made, but even without them, it's pretty cool. Great Remix.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, Sixto. Who knew you were so versatile with the guitar? This song... was the perfect choice to kick off the second disc of Lucid Dreaming.

And now for the 2nd Dream. I’ll be honest, this is the only song on the album I’ve listened to before reviewing it. But hey, it’s a good track. To quote Stevo in the Director’s Comments file, “Sixto must be Joe Satriani in disguise, because if I didn’t know any better, I’d say this was the Satch himself covering NiGHTS.” I agree with this. Clearer guitar for a bit of a solo at 2:16 or so. Also, this is Sixto’s longest track to date, which is a very good thing. He’s in top form, shredding riffs in a very ethereal manner, giving the entire song a very mystical, fantastical quality. Compared to most of Juan’s work, this is much calmer, and he pulls it off quite well. 4:47 brings in what quite possibly could be some of Sixto’s most beautiful work. He shreds and shreds and shreds until 5:30, when it slowly comes to an end. Far too soon!

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02300 - NiGHTS into dreams... "Beyond the Dream"