FF9 - Forgotten Dream Remix

SkyRiderX

This is my remix of Frately's theme from Final Fantasy 9, Unforgotten Silhoutte. It's very similiar to Freya's theme since they are in love but I think his has a much different feel and flow to it since it describes a much different character. I wanted to try and make a song to ellaborate more on him and also kinda of give him a battle theme since I think it's a shame you get to use Beatrix and not him sometime in the game. Well take a listen and tell me what you guys think!

--- SkyRiderX

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/450157

Link to original song:

• 5 weeks later...

As much as I want to really expand and do more for this song I'm afraid I'm gonna have to leave the remix in this state and call it done for now due to the fact that I'm swamped in other work at the moment. Maybe once I'm done with my current projects I can come back to it and really spruce it up. Hope you all enjoy all the same! 8)

--- SkyRiderX

• 4 weeks later...

It's a pretty sparse source tune, so you've done well to build it up so much... I agree with the previous poster, some of the instruments sound a bit thin, particularly at the start (from about 10 seconds to 30 seconds when your main instrument kicks in)...

I like the direction you've gone for and overall sound though... Was going to complain about the length when i'd been listening for ages and it got repetitive, but then I noticed it was only 2 minutes long and the sample had been looping without me noticing :tomatoface:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry this took so long but I got swamped in work again and didn't get a chance to start reworking this until recently.

Here's a link to the song : http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/450157

Here's a link to the previous version of the song: http://soundcloud.com/skyriderx/skyriderx-ff9-forgotten-dream

Things I've started working on/changed:

- Tried to bring the strings out a bit more in the opening. Still working a couple side harmonies for that too.

- Working on a Pad for 0:30 to help support that transition.

- Added lows strings to transition melody at 0:38.

- Working on a couple more instruments to alternate the melody with.

- Tried adding some drum work at 1:38 for fun. I think I might take that out...

Ok! Here's the final version pretty much. I've fleshed out the opening and added a few more instruments with a lower tone to help balance out the overall pitch as well adding some more melody twists in there. I'm gonna mark this done but any feedback given will be taken into consideration since I will be submitting this to the judge panel. May they have mercy on this track....

Track here's the new link : http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/465562

• 4 months later...

I agree with some of the comments about depth. I feel like I'm spending a lot of time in the upper frequencies. When that bass drum first came in, I thought you were going to do something Hans Zimmer ish - tribal drums of sort would work really well behind that.

It's a short source, but I think you could lengthen it with some ambiance-type sounds in there too. You've got a good haunting quality going on here. If you listen to Mark of a Beatsmith, that's kind of what I'm talking about. He took a short source and really pulled everything out of it.

The end is a bit abrupt for me. Maybe you could peel away more of the instruments so it's more gradual?