OCR01374 - *YES* Mega Man X4 'The Father of All'

djpretzel

Hey Dave.

This is the first time I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/) to write a submission email.

This is a remix of X's theme from Megaman X4. I don't think X gets enough credit or coverage as his partner Zero; maybe it's something about the long blond hair? Whatever. X is cooler.

This remix is inspired by McVaffe's awesome Street Fighter III remix, Makoto Jungle Jazz (one of my faves). I sliced up a drumloop, added some strings, rhodes, and a cool glassy lead to make a jazzy, laidback-yet-upbeat take on the theme. It's called 'The Father of All,' in reference to the fact that X is the template for nearly all of the reploids.

Anyway it's available here:

Enjoy.

__

Shariq Ansari

http://www.darkesword.com/

I hang with you, homie! I vote first!

Played this one a while back on VGF39, so this one isn't new to me, though this is the first time I've had a chance to compare things with the source material.

I liked the belltone-type sounds on support; that was a great idea for the arrangement in an additive sense. Otherwise, things played it pretty straight with the adaptation. I also really liked the work done with the percussion as well in terms of variance, though I felt the background instrumentation was a bit too quiet and sparse-sounding, and could have used something else going on to help fill things out further. I don't think that would have ruined the chill factor here, depesing on what was chosen.

On the production side, I liked the ambient-ish atmosphere going with the slight delay going on with some of the parts, but at the same time, I felt like the track would have sounded better with somewhat sharper sounds, as things occasionally felt a little muddy.

Very nicely done arranged section starting from 1:01-2:03. Very stylish work and well-integrated with the rest of the material here, before moving back to the more straightforward work on the source material at 2:04. The sounds chosen were too syrupy-sweet for my tastes, but that's just my personal taste. Could be a little more impactful and clearer while still being chill, but I had no huge issues. I beez feelin' it, son.

Who's your daddy? X is your daddy.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

this is particularly stylish - very ansari-esque work, indeed.

the arrangement is fantastic - keeps things fresh as its constantly changing the melody up. the beatz are fresh and the tempo change was bingo

interesting thing. the strings save the lead and its funny considering how weak the strings are but its one of those cases where the combination sounds great whereas on their own, they appear to lack quality. i really don't like that glassy lead honestly because it sounds very frail and would have left the mix sounding kinda empty but the strings somehow give the piece a boost by presenting a very nice atmosphere for the lead to sit in.

that said, this track is definetly an atmospheric and laid back track that reminds me plenty of mcvaffe's work as well as wingy.

consider this dug.

good shit.

YES

this is particularly stylish - very ansari-esque work, indeed.

the arrangement is fantastic - keeps things fresh as its constantly changing the melody up. the beatz are fresh and the tempo change was bingo

interesting thing. the strings save the lead and its funny considering how weak the strings are but its one of those cases where the combination sounds great whereas on their own, they appear to lack quality. i really don't like that glassy lead honestly because it sounds very frail and would have left the mix sounding kinda empty but the strings somehow give the piece a boost by presenting a very nice atmosphere for the lead to sit in.

that said, this track is definetly an atmospheric and laid back track that reminds me plenty of mcvaffe's work as well as wingy.

consider this dug.

good shit.

YES

I'm going to take the easy way out, because zyko summed up my feelings on it.

My only gripes are the production isn't as tight as your previous stuff and also the drums, they sound weaksauce. Needs more eq and compression work to improve the tone, BUT NOT squash the dynamics. Needs more production lovin' with better use of reverb/delay/eq and compression in general.

This can't be denied. One of my faves from you. So chill, very capable work shariq. YES