Stop Online Piracy Act

Magnetic Ether

Djmokram why the fuck aren't you at MAGfest. Were all here without you to make the crowd awesomer.

Nah, a disabled foreigner like me can only make things lamer. So don't worry and have plenty of fun out there mang. :grin:

Using No SOPA will cause a message to appear on your browser every time you visit a website that supports the measure, creating a bar with the words "SOPA Supporter! This company is a known supporter of the dangerous 'Stop Online Piracy Act'!"
Virtual finger-pointing for great justice! Pretty awesome indeed.

I'm a bit late to join this discussion, but I shall remedy that right now.

I wrote Nintendo about it and I was sent a form letter back and they clearly do support it.

Would you mind sharing what you sent them, and how they replied? I am very interested, as I have been getting mixed messages about Nintendo.

Also, I would love to send my own letter to Nintendo, but I'm unsure which address exactly I should send it to...

I submitted my well-crafted missive through Nintendo's website so therefore I don't have a copy of it and I don't seem to have the exact text as a reply in my mail inbox for whatever reason. But the response was exactly the same response that everyone gets when they write NIntendo about SOPA which is:

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I’ve forwarded your comments on SOPA to the appropriate departments within the company so that your feedback will be heard.

Please know that Nintendo is strongly in favor of free speech. In fact, the entire video game industry recently fought extremely hard all the way to the Supreme Court to ensure protection of free speech. This past June the Entertainment Software Association won a landmark First Amendment case, Brown (Schwarzenegger) v. Entertainment Merchants Association.

We don’t allow U.S. stores to operate that are dedicated to selling stolen goods. Why should rogue websites that break U.S. law be any different? We need laws to address this reality and are confident Congress can find the right balance in the coming months.

Thank you again. We appreciate hearing what is important to our consumers.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

My original message to them talked about what they already mentioned in their response, like how do you trust Congress to find a balance in ANYTHING and that SOPA could be drastically misused, that comparing it to stolen goods is not a good example and that Congress cannot be trusted. They sent me this same reply anyway. It is a form-letter response, they do not respond individually.

I just got an email this morning in response to signing the White House petition against SOPA and PIPA. It can be viewed here:

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#/!/response/combating-online-piracy-while-protecting-open-and-innovative-internet

Here's the good part:

We must avoid creating new cybersecurity risks or disrupting the underlying architecture of the Internet. Proposed laws must not tamper with the technical architecture of the Internet through manipulation of the Domain Name System (DNS), a foundation of Internet security. Our analysis of the DNS filtering provisions in some proposed legislation suggests that they pose a real risk to cybersecurity and yet leave contraband goods and services accessible online. We must avoid legislation that drives users to dangerous, unreliable DNS servers and puts next-generation security policies, such as the deployment of DNSSEC, at risk.

Its for real guys i'm seeing it on AOL and Drudge.

I'm not one for the left. My principals typically lean right but this was something that came dangerously close to violating the constitution and a clear abuse of power. I don't plan to vote for Obama this year but the man's earned a bit of respect from me. This might be the death knell for both bills. Even IF it could get through the house AND senate (at this point i doubt it) There's no way they get the 2/3rds vote for a veto override. Which is clearly what is being silently threatened.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/14/white-house-sopa-pipa_n_1206347.html

This is HUGE.

Solid Composer and ThaSauce are blacked out.

ThaSauce went hard core though - you *cannot* access any site materials. Interesting.

There are very few things I can do to really make a difference regarding this bill. Voting, signing petitions, sending snail mail, making phone calls, and this. I'm going big or going home. That's why ThaSauce and OLR are both down. It is well worth any amount of traffic I would lose for being totally down for 1 day. As it's been said before, the very existence of the sites is in question with these bills.

That said, I agree with Google and Twitter not going down, though I would've liked to see twitter of facebook do ANYTHING AT ALL. I think leaving avenues for discussion regarding the bill open is a good thing. ThaSauce has no critical functions for political commentary.