OCR02331 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Link's Epoch"

djpretzel

Well, this is a treat! Some heroic, some ethnic, some funk, all fantastic! This combines the classic sound we all know and love and injects some flavor into it, and I love it. Wonderful transition from the Overworld theme to the Zelda Rescue theme and back. I particularly enjoyed the last minute of the ReMix when the guitar joined the mix. Not sure if I've ever heard hard guitar and ethnic flavors at the same time, but it was pretty cool, so I wouldn't mind hearing more. Nice work.

I'm sad that Danny B didn't make it, but it's still good to see Mr. Morse fill his shoes.

The track manages to play well to Joshua's strengths in funk-based grooves, with a strong emphasis on the drum parts. I'm not quite so sure, but the first overworld variation here even kinds of bears some similarities to the version in Link's Awakening - not a bad thing at all, might be a hidden reference somehow. :)

The level of interpretation is good; plays fairly safe though during the overworld sections, but the Zelda's Lullaby part really played well with the chord re-shuffling, and that to me is clearly a strong writing highlight there. Overall, strongly-structured and really defines what he's all about.

Now, I know for sure that he doesn't like anyone who criticises his work, but I have to say this anyway; the orchestrated parts for me have their stiff moments, which I noted more particularly during the intro and the Zelda's Lullaby part. I admit it's hard enough for anyone to succeed in that field, but if these sounds are to be used more frequently then there has to be more time spent with the samples' filters to get them to sound that pinch more convincing.

It's really my only qualm with this outside from a well set overworld interpretation for the new Zelda project; a good showcase from Joshua Morse, and I'm keen to see where his next few releases would take us :)

This is a pretty solid and classy take on the classic theme, featuring some really nice flute articulation, and powerful horns. The subtle chord changes throughout are nice, and the transition to the Zelda rescue theme was cool and unexpected. I do feel the electric was a little buried, but it didn't feel broken, just a little off considering how solid the rest of the track was.

Cool ending as well, this is a very good mix!

Oh, boy... this is one of the mixes that I didn't quite know whether or not I'd like it before I started listening... but once I started listening, it just... it worked. It clicked. It was a ReMix of "Epoch" proportions! :tomatoface:

Anyways, I'm a sucker for LoZ music, and Mr. Morse does the sources justice. And I mean real justice. No, not Justice-style. Just... I recognize the sources immediately, yet there is definitely a different feel, and not just reinstrumentation. Everything works perfectly. Its funky. Its fresh. Its Zelda.

I love it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the groove you got going on here. Orchestral + jazzy dance.

My only complaint is the instruments are sort of dry. They lack a sort of a human texture. Perhaps if they were a bit wetter with reverb they would settle more closely into the mix.

I like what you did with the theme. On one hand, it's very close to the original, but on the other, you gave it a completely new texture I haven't heard before. points++ on the zelda's lullaby, though I was a bit sad that didn't get any groove in it.

Great song, I like it, my only issue is the orchestral samples.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So, I like Zelda. But, I didn't particularly care for this track. It sounded... hodge-podge; lots of instruments thrown together that weren't really sonically compatible. The instruments sound good by themselves, but seem to be thematically inconsistent. You have your epic-sounding strings with a flute-like fluttering, mixed with a rather simplistic tribal sounding hand-drum. And there's an electric piano in the background and I'm thinking 'is this elevator music or a serious classical piece?' At the end there's an electric guitar which, again, doesn't seem to fit. Overall, I'd say it was just... weird.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02331 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Link's Epoch"