[RECRUITING! Next Check-In: Jan. 29th! 8 songs unclaimed!] Jigsaw Memories: A B-K Series Album

Kirvee

Games: Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Concept: Imagine you're walking down a dark hall with identical doors on both sides. Though it's dark, you feel a sense of peace and nostalgia. This is a hall of your memories and every door you see is an individual memory you have of a particular place. You enter each room to relive those memories and you do--but something's off. Every now and then, something different occurs or is altered that was definitely not part of your original memory and it throws off the sense of peace you had. This is reality briefly crashing into your memories like waves on a beach. The landscape of your memories is no longer consistent or stable, shifting and breaking into pieces. Was this piece a memory? Or is this piece reality? It's like the world's hardest jigsaw puzzle because it continues to change on you and make you lose your footing until you're either awoken from your memories or fall victim to the crashes of reality. That is the essence of this album's concept.

Songs in this album need to follow the above theme. Remixers can do this by considering two important things about every stage: the commonly remembered things regarding it in general, and the reality that the remixer wishes to show. The reality can be whatever the remixer wants, because the remixer is in control of what the listener both remembers and sees as reality. All that's required is that each remix contain pieces that remind of the original song/level as people usually remember it while mixing in pieces of an alternative--and sometimes even dark--reality of that level.

An example of this would be: You can paint Freezeezy Peak as a whimsical, beautiful, snowy paradise--but we all know that wasn't actually what the level was. That level had killer snowmen, the water literally sucked the breath of life out of you, some children would've never had a Christmas if it wasn't for you coming along and finding their presents, among other tragedies. The remixer would then have to pick any potential realities they'd like to show and mix it into the "original" memories.

Current Team: Kirvee (Leader), Emunator (QA/WIP Feedback), Cody (QA/WIP Feedback), SoSiouxMe (QA/WIP feedback), Bahamut (Website Designer, QA/WIP feedback)

- People we need: REMIXERS, assistants, someone to do art, QA people

Style/Genre: Any! No restrictions, you can mix and match to your heart's content, all I ask is you

generic
(but techno is still allowed, just please don't make it sound like something I'd find on Youtube).

- Additional Details: The final track numbers and order will be dependent on how many contributors we get and how many want to mix together level tracks (a remix that uses two featured worlds will count as 1 remix for both worlds). Ideally, there will be one remix per featured world (which will make the final track count decrease by 1 if someone mixes together two levels into one remix) with the first/opening track of the album being a remix that uses the Gruntilda's Lair theme (or any of the variations of it that are found in her lair throughout the game) and the final/closing track of the album being a remix that uses the final battle themes from B-K and N&B (as provided in the list). Between the opening and closing tracks the rest of the album will be ordered by game and level. So basically it'd be like:

(Opening Song)

--B-K levels--

--Tooie levels--

--N&B levels/songs--

(Closing Song)

Any bonus songs would go after the closing song.

People Offering Remix Assistance

- BrothaDom (lyric writing), Orangedragan (vocals), Chris | Amaterasu (strings), Mairujyat (transcription/soundfonts), One-Winged Angle (vocals)

Notes on this area: Numbered tracks are the featured songs that MUST be remixed for album completion. Some levels have additional music denoted by "-" underneath them. These additional songs are not required but are there for use by the remixer in that level or elsewhere.

--Tracks--

(Orange = Claimed w/o WIP, Magenta = WIP, Navy = Finished)

Disc 1: Banjo-Kazooie

1) Grunty's Lair (

) (Claimed by HooNose)

2) Mumbo's Mountain (

) (Claimed by Afilion)

- Inside Ticker's Tower (

)

3) Treasure Trove Cove (

) (Claimed by Cash and Change)

- Snacker Attack (

)

4) Clanker's Cavern (

) (Claimed by The_Android)

- Inside Clanker (

)

5) Bubblegloop Swamp (

)

6) Freezeezy Peak (

) (Claimed by JamJars)

7) Gobi's Valley (

) (Claimed by NbZero)

8 ) Mad Monster Mansion (

) (Claimed by anterroir)

- The Haunted Church (

)

- Inside The Mansion (

)

- Tumblar's Ouija Board (

)

9) Rusty Bucket Bay (

)

10) Click Clock Wood (Claimed by FaytxStay)

- Spring (

)

- Summer (

)

- Fall (

)

- Winter (

)

- Nabnuts House (

)

Disc 2: Banjo-Tooie

1) Isle O' Hags (

) (Claimed by Mairujyat)

2) Jinjo Village (

) (Claimed by darkbrandflake11)

- Hall of the Zombie King (

)

3) Mayahem Temple (

) (Claimed by NbZero)

- Targitzan Boss Battle (

)

4) Glitter Gulch Mine (

)

5) Witchyworld (

) (Claimed by Cody Wedel)

- Mr. Patch Boss Battle (Source)

6) Jolly Roger's Lagoon (

) (Claimed by AstrothSounds)

- Atlantis (

)

- Lord Woo Fak Fak Boss Battle (

)

7) Terrydactyland (

)

8 ) Grunty Industries (

)

9) Hailfire Peaks (Claimed by Esperado)

- Lava (

)

- Ice (

)

10) Cloud Cuckooland (

) (Claimed by JamJars)

Disc 3: Nuts & Bolts

1) Terrarium of Terror (Day) (

) (Claimed by Brad Charles)

2) LOGBox 720 (Source)

3) Test-O-Track (

)

4) Nutty Acres (

)

5) Showdown Town (Day) (

) (Claimed by HooNose)

6) The Final Battle (

) (
) (Claimed by DaMonz)

Bonus Songs

1) Spiral Mountain (

) (Claimed by JamJars)

2) Tooie Boss Medley (Claimed by sggod89)

3) Tooty's Theme (

) (Claimed by HooNose)

--Bonus Songs That Would Be Cool To Have--

- A remix of the main theme from B-K (and maybe Tooie as well?)

- Mumbo's Theme

- A tribute remix to lost or development levels/music such as Fungus Forest and others only made knowable because of Grant

--Bonus Optional Tracks--

- Fungus Forest (Advent)

- B-K Intro song

- Once Upon A Time...

- The Lord of Games

- Cheato's Theme

- Any Jingle (but specifically the Jigsaw and All Jinjo jingles)

- Cauldron Keep (

)

- Notes: Bonus Optional Tracks are songs that ARE NOT required for album completion, but are possible for use in either mixing into a main remix, or creating a bonus track if someone has the time and desire for it.

Timeline: June 2013 is the 15th anniversary of the US release of B-K and thus the 15th anniversary of the series itself.

--DEADLINES--

January 29th: Check-In

March 26th: Check-In

June 25th: Check-In

September 24th: Check-In

November 26th: Check-In/Maybe Final Date

Sigs:

6423018795_5545a0beaa.jpg

Edited by Kirvee
Terrarium of Terror claimed!

Definitely take a look at the project guidelines.

That should give you most of the information you'll need.

As for theme and content, you could either set strict guidelines (Specific genres, specific tracks), or you could leave it up to the artists who join.

I would suggest not trying to take on too much at a time. Putting 3 games in one album generally isn't a good idea.

It would probably be best if you stuck with the original game for now (you can always do sperate albums for the others after the first one is released).

Hope this helps :)

I would suggest not trying to take on too much at a time. Putting 3 games in one album generally isn't a good idea.

It would probably be best if you stuck with the original game for now (you can always do sperate albums for the others after the first one is released).

Nonsense.

It depends what you're going for. If you want your project to be a compilation of the best/your favourite songs over the series, do that. I think what Kuolema means is that trying to remix every song used in all three games is a ton of work. There's no reason why you can't pick and choose though and end up with something manageable.

Nonsense.

It depends what you're going for. If you want your project to be a compilation of the best/your favourite songs over the series, do that. I think what Kuolema means is that trying to remix every song used in all three games is a ton of work. There's no reason why you can't pick and choose though and end up with something manageable.

Yeah thats true...as long as there aren't too many tracks...

@Kuolema: I read through the guidelines so I have a general idea, lol. It's just the theme and other overall general stuff specific to album making that I don't really know the answer to.

I'd probably leave genre up to the artist. Fosters better creativity, I believe.

@Kanthos: Ah, yeah, I see what you're saying, lol. It probably wouldn't be ALL the songs, that'd be way too much. As far as the first game goes, I was thinking of letting all of the music tracks from all 9 worlds be up for grabs/free reign. I personally haven't played Tooie myself, but I know a few of the tunes from that game and like them. Same with N&B. The number of songs I can think of off the top of my head that I like from Tooie are like 3, so overall there'd be 12 or so songs up for grabs to be mixed and matched to an artist's desire.

That's....how it works....right? Cuz I've seen before on other series tribute albums (like the LoZ one that just came out, for instance) that some artists will mix together different songs from different games in the same series. I don't know how those kinds of things go, if they're offered a list of allowable songs and mix together from that list or what. But I'd allow and encourage that kind of mixing on here if someone wanted to do that.

Since, like I said, most of the remixes available on Youtube are all generic techno, but I've found at least two really nice B-K medleys on there before so...

Well there aren't really any guidelines for what needs to be included in an album or how the tracks need to be mixed. It's totally up to you and the artists, so if you want it to be solely medleys, then tell people that. If you want no medleys at all, let people know that too.

If you want to see how other people are running their projects, take a look at http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31725, http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30903 and http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35647.

You'll see that the Paper Mario one is broken up into different "chapters" and requires mixes to be orchestral in some way, while the Zelda one requires mixers to mix together at least 2 tracks, and the Mana one leaves it more or less up to the artist.

Honestly, just do whatever you think would suit the game(s) best :)

Also, if you don't want techno, make sure you tell people that as well (Although you'd be missing out on some great talent, and OCR techno tends to be much higher quality than youtube techno).

Aah, alright, XDD. I'll give those topics a look =3.

And yeah, I know OCR techno tends to be much better than the majority of stuff on Youtube (I have a lot of them on this computer). I probably wouldn't disallow it, I'd just ask to avoid being generic, lol.

I'm still kind of confused on the whole album process though. As I understood it when I read over the guidelines, a project isn't an official OCR project unless it gets approved when you fill out the project sheet there, right? I remember it saying that if it got rejected that you can re-send it after revising it and/or getting more contributors.

Does this mean that before I send in a form, I should have some remixers interested in helping first before I try to get the project official? (I probably wouldn't send it in until I can answer the basic stuff it asks for, I'm just curious so I can know for when I am ready to send it in for approval).

Edit: So I'm poking around Youtube to try and get together something of a tracklist and I think I found a decent idea to kinda pull all the tracks together in one album. Since Gruntilda is always the antagonist in the games, the album could be organized by her various attempts to foil the heroic duo. So like all remixes from the first game would go under a heading of like "Sister Kidnapping" or something of that nature. Whatever Gruntilda's main goal in the specific game was, it'd be the title/header of that specific part of the album... /idea.

Edited by Kirvee

Ok, so I got a list of songs together....I really love the game music too much, I think, XD. I ended up putting a lot of them in as optional tracks, but the overall number for the "main stuff" comes to 22. Though that wouldn't necessarily be the amount a final album would have....it's just the number of tracks that would go into the "main album".

This is what I have for right now, though it will be revised if anyone wants to give me input:

--List of Potential B-K album tracks--

- ANY of the various mixes of the Gruntilda's Lair theme from any part of the lair/game

<-- A flat medley of most of them for reference

- Mumbo's Mountain

- Treasure Trove Cove

- Clanker's Cavern

- Bubblegloop Swamp

- Freezeezy Peak

- Gobi's Valley

- Mad Monster Mansion

- Rusty Bucket Bay

- Click Clock Wood

Spring:

Summer:

Fall:

Winter:

- The Final Battle

--Tooie--

- Jinjo Village

- Mayahem Temple

- Glitter Gulch Mine

- Witchyworld

- Jolly Roger's Lagoon

- Hailfire Peaks

Lava:

Ice:

--N&B--

- Terrarium of Terror (Day)

- Once Upon A Time...

- The Lord of Games

- Showdown Town (Day)

- Grunty's Final Challenge

--Bonus Optional Tracks--

- Spiral Mountain

- Inside Clanker

- The Haunted Church

- Fungus Forest (Advent)

- Terrydactyland

- Cauldron Keep

- Atlantis

- Nabnut's House

- B-K Intro song

- Inside Ticker's Tower

- Snacker Attack

- Cheato's Theme

- Any Jingle (but specifically the Jigsaw and All Jinjo jingles)

- Inside The Mansion

- Tumblar's Ouija Board

- Tooty's Theme

- Hall of the Zombie King

- Mr. Patch Boss Battle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZ63WVivro

- Lord Woo Fak Fak Boss Battle

- Targitzan Boss Battle

Some notes: Yes, that is a lot of music, but the final album will most likely not have this much music.

The way I've organized this is by main remixes from each game (N&B only has a few cuz like I said before I haven't personally played it so I don't know its music as well as I do the other two). Those are song remixes I would like to see featured mainly on the album, however they don't have to be in order or necessarily be individual. Meaning that if someone wanted to, say, mix together the songs for Clanker's Cavern and Rusty Bucket Bay, they could do that and it would basically count as 1 song for two levels.

Additionally, for levels like Click Clock Wood and Hailfire Peaks, the music for them DOESN'T have to be individual. Since the music for those stages is basically the same, whoever remixes those levels can do whatever they want with mixing those. If someone wanted to make a seasonal medley for CCW, it'd count as 1 song for that whole level, if someone wanted to mix together only one or two of those songs, it'd also count as 1 song for that level. Likewise with HFP, though I personally think a mix of both Lava and Ice songs together would be cool unless someone just wanted to do one or the other.

The "Bonus Optional Tracks" is just the list of other songs from the games that I like but don't necessarily need to be in other mixes. However they're there in case someone wanted to add them into one of the main tracks or mix a few of them together to make a bonus track, or whatever, really! Like I said I'd rather leave as many options and decisions up to the remixers as I can.

And I was thinking, since most of the world's are either in Grunty's lair or related to it in some way, then a good opening and ending song for the album would likewise be related to her lair itself rather than one of the world's in it. Which is why at the beginning of the B-K list I said any of the Gruntilda's Lair mixes in the game are up for grabs to use. This includes the mixes that play at jigsaw puzzles, the world gates, the furnace game, and even Lair Keep if someone wanted to give that a try. Basically any song in the game that uses the main lair theme as its melody is perfectly fine to use for an opening song.

The best closing song of the album, I feel, would be a remix of the final battle songs. I didn't really like the one from Tooie, but I liked the final battles songs from B-K and N&B. So maybe a mix of those two for a nice closing song? I know I put the B-K final battle at the end of the B-K list, but like I said this isn't in any particular order, it's just a general list organized by game.

This is pretty much all the music I could think of that I liked, so it's unlikely I'll add anymore (unless someone suggests something to me). So I guess...if people show interest/make suggestions, I'll drop songs if I have to but otherwise...?

*not sure if doing this right*

Aah, alright, XDD. I'll give those topics a look =3.

And yeah, I know OCR techno tends to be much better than the majority of stuff on Youtube (I have a lot of them on this computer). I probably wouldn't disallow it, I'd just ask to avoid being generic, lol.

I'm still kind of confused on the whole album process though. As I understood it when I read over the guidelines, a project isn't an official OCR project unless it gets approved when you fill out the project sheet there, right? I remember it saying that if it got rejected that you can re-send it after revising it and/or getting more contributors.

Does this mean that before I send in a form, I should have some remixers interested in helping first before I try to get the project official? (I probably wouldn't send it in until I can answer the basic stuff it asks for, I'm just curious so I can know for when I am ready to send it in for approval).

Yeah, don't send it in until you have a bunch of people signed up and have a clear idea of what you're doing (Having lots of posted mixers helps too). If it gets accepted it will be moved to the projects subforum.

Edit: So I'm poking around Youtube to try and get together something of a tracklist and I think I found a decent idea to kinda pull all the tracks together in one album. Since Gruntilda is always the antagonist in the games, the album could be organized by her various attempts to foil the heroic duo. So like all remixes from the first game would go under a heading of like "Sister Kidnapping" or something of that nature. Whatever Gruntilda's main goal in the specific game was, it'd be the title/header of that specific part of the album... /idea.

I haven't played the games, so I can't really comment, but it sounds good. A solid theme is nice to have :).

Got....any recommendations? *doesn't really know anyone...*

But ok =D. I'll go edit the first post to better reflect stuff *already changed the topic title*.

First, I would check with other OCR Members who have headed successful projects, like The Damned (Pokemon: The Missingno Tracks), Level 99 (NiGHTS: Lucid Dreaming), k-wix (Mega Man 9: Back in Blue), and KyleJCrb (Super Dodge Ball: Around the World) and ask how they went through it.

Since you haven't posted anything yet, I would recruit a creative director. Since the album as a whole will be judged for quality, I would recommend someone who has posted on OCR before to check each submission.

Preferably, this album should be released in 2013, the 15th anniversary of the first Banjo-Kazooie title in 1998.

I wouldn't mind helping on this project. I can't make music (yet), but I've been around long enough to see how things go.

Holy crap, this would be amazing. I'm all for this. I'll even help with organization. But I'd much rather this be solely a Banjo-Kazooie 1 album, and if it's a success, we can follow up with BT in later years. We can have a ReMix for each world theme, plus other tracks in the game (Nabnut's house, inside Mumbo's Skull, etc.) This has much potential. I think every track in BK should be addressed, rather than jam-packing the "best" tracks of the series in one album. Thoughts?

Holy crap, this would be amazing. I'm all for this. I'll even help with organization. But I'd much rather this be solely a Banjo-Kazooie 1 album, and if it's a success, we can follow up with BT in later years. We can have a ReMix for each world theme, plus other tracks in the game (Nabnut's house, inside Mumbo's Skull, etc.) This has much potential. I think every track in BK should be addressed, rather than jam-packing the "best" tracks of the series in one album. Thoughts?

I agree, starting with just Banjo-Kazooie makes more sense to me. A much better chance at success.

@Nonamer: Ah, that's a good idea! I was considering this kind of album would be perfect for an anniversary, but wasn't sure what anniversary was coming up...lol.

I'll contact someone on that list...do you know if the list of people available for those kinds of positions is anywhere on the site or forums? I tried looking in the members list but that didn't show what positions anyone normally fills on OCR projects...

@Ancestor and Cash: That would be an ideal plan if this idea was for a specific game, but this idea in particular is for the series as a whole rather than the parts. And it seems kinda...defeatist to release one album for one game and then do a follow-up for the next game depending on the previous album's success. For a series tribute, it's best to include music from the three main games so far rather than focus solely on one game. If you still like this idea, though, I'd really appreciate any help you can offer =).

Additionally, not including all of the level themes is more an issue of size and keeping it manageable. I pretty much included all 9 world themes for B-K, but couldn't include all of Tooie's because I didn't want it to become too big. The list as it currently is is too big itself, which is why it's probably best for remixers to mix together two levels to create 1 remix for two levels and subtract the final track total by 1.

I don't think it's defeatist at all. The entire Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack is great, it would be a shame to exclude any level themes. I say it's a matter of covering the entirety of such an awesome soundtrack, rather than a matter of giving up.

EDIT: I personally feel you'd get more interest with just the first game, then again I don't know anything about the process of making/starting albums, so I'm probably wrong. Go with you're gut. As a music making newb I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I'm still interested in your idea.

Edited by Cash

It would be a shame if we excluded certain level themes for space's sake. I think a 15-track (or so) album of the first game would be fine--the nine level themes, plus Spiral Mountain, Gruntilda's Lair/final battle, main theme/credits, Mumbo's theme, and maybe Tooty's theme. Give or take.

Then again, it's your concept, therefore your call. :D

EDIT: Nija'd by Cash, and would you look at that--we said the same thing. xD

I'll contact someone on that list...do you know if the list of people available for those kinds of positions is anywhere on the site or forums? I tried looking in the members list but that didn't show what positions anyone normally fills on OCR projects...

There is no fixed position. People volunteer to be a project creative director. For example, there is a Game Boy project, with The Damned leading it and WillRock as one of the people in charge of quality control. I would ask around the OCR irc channel (irc.esper.net, channel #ocremix) or in private messages.

PS I agree that one game is enough.

I have a lot of reasons for wanting to keep the list as small as I can.

Specifically because when I was going through the pages to see if someone already had this idea I stumbled upon this thread, which basically told me "Your idea is awesome, but don't do what this guy did." Especially the 2nd to last post in it, so that's why I had to drop a couple of songs.

The list I have right now is long enough, I feel adding anymore (unless there's a song that someone thinks REALLY, REALLY should be featured) would start to make this a copy of what that other guy did and I'd rather avoid that.

Besides, I also specifically left out the intro and Spiral Mountain because the linking theme for all three games is Grunty. Spiral Mountain and the intro song have nothing to do with Grunty's lair (they're not in it or related to it). Isle O' Hags from Tooie is related to the lair cuz it's witch/Grunty-related itself thus making all the worlds connected to it related as well. I'm not sure about N&B but I kinda just....listened through a few songs from there and pulled out the ones I thought sounded good.

Plus, I still included them in the Optional list. The Optional list is basically the list from which bonus tracks or extra remix material can be pulled together from. If someone wanted to mix elements of Spiral Mountain or even the intro song into their remix, they can because I included those songs in the Optional list of extra material. You'll notice some of Tooie's stages are also in that list. I love Terrydactyland and the Atlantis theme but adding Terrydactyland to the kind-of-already-long-enough list of featured Tooie songs would make the list too long and Atlantis is just an alternative theme of Jolly Roger's Lagoon.

Right now, without counting the bonus list, the number of songs is 22. I think that's long enough for three games. It probably won't be the final track number (that depends on how many people want to mix together two level songs to make 1 remix for two levels), but for right now unless there's a song someone thinks ABSOLUTELY deserves to be its own remix rather than just there for extra material, I don't feel comfortable adding anymore songs.

If we're doing all three games, I'd really prefer that all the level themes in the series are included.

Speaking as someone who's doing a 60-track album project where the goal always was to do every track on the OST - this is stupid. Unless you're paying ppl to do it, or if you're gonna do it yourself, you probably won't get enough tracks finished, and then the project will just sit stagnant, buried under countless other threads, not going anywhere. Keeping ppl's interest up after a few years of moving slow isn't easy, I'm speaking from experience.

In other words, how many tracks are you gonna do, new guy? :tomatoface:

That said, Kirvee, I'd focus on the first game if I did this, but it's your project. Try to figure out how much interest there is for this, get ppl working on their mixes, and get the ball rolling. Once you have some progress, be it wips form big names or finished tracks, it's a lot easier to keep things going.

(btw, I'd save the list of optional tracks for later, it currently looks like you're trying to remix 40 or so tracks for the project... which might be a little disconcerting to ppl looking to join.)

Good luck. :)

Who would be willing to actually make remixes for this project? I know we have support/interest in other ways (myself included), but are any of you posted remixers out there interested in working on this project? Would people want to focus solely on the first game, or does the current track list look good? Thoughts?