OCR02335 - Final Fantasy VII "The Planet Is Dead"

djpretzel

This makes me happy like nothing else. I remember I had it in its WIP days too, then somehow I lost the file and couldn't find it, and I was sad. I listened to this among other things while playing Borderlands, made everything intense and amazing. Anyway I'm happy to see it again, like reuniting with a lost love. Take me away nekofrog <3

It's a very different type of metal you usually hear in OCRemixes. It keeps to a very minimalistic production, with some great intro melodies. I think what the song could really have used is some variety in more of the power metal chord sections, where it can get a bit tedious. It's great for what it is, I just think it could use a bit more sonic diversity.

I think what's "wrong" is that people who aren't used to this particular style of metal think that guitars should be almost 100% high-end instead of the heaviness we know it should be via moderate mid-scooping, and kicks should be almost exclusively in the 250HZ range or something instead of that clickiness that's kind of important for the genre you're going for.

Good mix, btw. You really nailed it with this one.

I never said anything was wrong with it, I just wasn't crazy about it the production. It's solid, for sure...some of the tones just aren't what I would have went with. Aside from the cymbals that have been pointed out, I just think the overall clarity is somewhat lacking IMO. But really, we all have different tastes in production in terms of what "sounds good". Hell, I know my stuff isn't perfect either.

Regardless, the track is killer.

Ah, good ol'metal. Great way to start the day. Very intense and flows really well over the course of the ReMix. Sweet cameo by Starla, too. The only thing that gets me is that the second guitar in the intro seems slightly-off, but that's just a minor nit-pick, cause everything else sounded great. Amazing ReMix here.

Oh hey Justin goes through a deployment and gets back to a mixpost.

The first thing that pops up is that the song sounds loud, and a tad overcompressed. Other than that, the song has a solid flow to it and as Justin said, wrote itself. There is a dark/depressing feel cast throughout the song which is nailed well - definitely reminds me of some death metal out there. This is a good full listen for the most part!

Oh hey Justin goes through a deployment and gets back to a mixpost.

The first thing that pops up is that the song sounds loud, and a tad overcompressed. Other than that, the song has a solid flow to it and as Justin said, wrote itself. There is a dark/depressing feel cast throughout the song which is nailed well - definitely reminds me of some death metal out there. This is a good full listen for the most part!

I don't compress any of my music. At all. D:

I literally record raw and that's it. I MIGHT adjust volume levels to prevent clipping but I never apply any post compression or EQ to anything.

• 2 weeks later...

OUTSTANDING remix. :D

I love how this is mixed. You threw heavy rock onto the source while still keeping its slow, eerie texture. This song makes me feel all kinds of disturbed, and I love. Tight palm mutes, also. :D

Love the Main Theme at 3:13. The voice clips are pretty symbolic and fit well, which is something that just seems silly in other remixes I've heard.

I give this mix an A+. :D The only complaint is that I like acoustic drums mixed a little differently, but it's negligible.

• 2 weeks later...

Always glad to see more metal. I LOVE the clean intro with the additional guitars being layered in before the distortion. Great arrangement, blending the different themes. Nice drums, although the fill at 2:05 is kinda weird, the sequencing everywhere else is fine though. I like the little bit of wah during the break around 2:45. Nice spoken vocal cameo, worked nicely, good emotional touch. Good job!

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02335 - Final Fantasy VII "The Planet Is Dead"