just what this world needs - more gerudo valley!

FM

wlaMO.png

12/19/11 - Brevity is… wit? (Kepora Gebora (owl theme) (source})

A lot of styles jam packed in a very small space. In the words of George Lucas "I might've gone too far in a couple of places." Or maybe Stephen Malkmus "So much style it's wasted." take your pick. I hope you enjoy, and try to spot the cameo of the Owl Theme from Link's Awakening (it's easy if you know it).

Why the trippy fade-out at the end? Umm I had a normal ending planned but this one was a lot more fun. Plus I figure it ties into the fact that the owl is REALLY the sage of light, or whatever.

[edit] some bizarre clipping on this one too. I'll upload a new version tomorrow, don't know what the deal is.

Edited by FM

Oh man suddenly I'm playing to an empty room. That's ok though, the show must go on. Deku tree this evening, hopefully

Yes, yes - i'm definitely here :)

I'm enjoying the owl theme - is the main instrument a bass clarinet? bassoon? Enjoyed the woodwind chords - sounded pretty medieval at times, spesh with the harp.

This one was nice - and the string harmonics (right?) at the end too.

In fact it switches off between a (contra)bassoon and a (contra) bass clarinet. And yep those are string harmonics at the end.

oh contra, huh - really honky! The bassoon encapsulates the owl's (at least this owl) character so much it's unbelievable.

The second part of this melody reminds of me of canon in d so much so that i thought you were actually gonna drop that in there! Possible remix in there maybe :)

What can we expect from the deku tree?

I'll just say I'm gonna break my rule of not making cheesy epicish wall of sound film style music, cause I've hacked it two or three other ways and it just aint working. Plus the Hobbit trailer came out and it's kinda got me in that vibe :)

edit: gawd I've got people coming over so I might not make it today, but it's coming along very nicely

Edited by FM

I'll just say I'm gonna break my rule of not making cheesy epicish wall of sound film style music, cause I've hacked it two or three other ways and it just aint working. Plus the Hobbit trailer came out and it's kinda got me in that vibe :)

ah i didn't think it was too cheesy or epicish - i thought it was pretty suitable and subtle if a little grandiose and sinister. I liked the solo voices. OK some of those horn lines are pretty cheesy epic film music BUUUUT. I liked it. It was slow, tense and had a great atmosphere. Looking forward to some more in the new year!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, not dead, just taking a break. I wanted to get through this thing in one go but it was driving me a bit nuts, so I've moved onto some other things for a while.

The good news is that maybe 50% of the remaining tracks are in a kind of half finished limbo state. So once I start cracking them out again expect them to REALLY start coming.

And then I'm serious about doing Majora's Mask too. It's a lovely OST.