Minecraft - Calming Dawn (Calm 3/Sweden)

Light_of_Aether

Here is my arrangement:http://soundcloud.com/willpisani/minecraft-sweden-1

Here is the source:

I have a couple ideas left with regard to arrangement, but I'd like to get some general feedback before I continue.

[uPDATE] This is the song formerly known as "Sweden Reorchestrated".

[uPDATE 4-21-2012] Here's a link to the final version:http://soundcloud.com/willpisani/minecraft-calming-dawn-4-21.

• 1 month later...
I personally really like it and would love to use it in a few of my minecraft videos.

Glad you like it! As long as you give me credit, feel free to use it however you like.

Weren't you crap at this stuff a year ago? :P

Yeah, pretty much, but listening to the excellent remixes on OCReMix and trying to emulate them has helped a lot.

mod rev:

There are melodies that seem more keyboard-y than string-y. The sustained high string note in the intro might benefit from some expression automation, but I'd be more concerned about the melodies later on. Their slow attack give some semblance of a human performance, but they're still distractingly fake.

The panning seems a bit excessive, especially in the parts where you have one melody centered and another panned - such as the piano and high strings melody at 1:39. Don't remember the positioning of a real orchestral, but this track would benefit from a more even stereo balance.

The level is too low. It doesn't really get close to max until the ending, and even there it feels soft. The mid strings in the finale seem a little too loud, so those could be lowered a little. Removing lows from instruments that don't need them could give you a little more headroom, and some soft compression, both on the low strings and on the track overall, could give you some more. Repeat: SOFT compression. And a little eq.

It's pretty conservative. On the other hand, it's a far cry from a midi rip. Hard to say. This is what I get for not playing Minecraft.

-

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

- Too conservative - I don't dare say either way, but it's possible

PRODUCTION

- Too quiet - see above

- Unrealistic sequencing - needs some humanization

STRUCTURE

- Abrupt ending - doesn't need much, but it currently just ends.

• 1 month later...

Here's the revised version: http://soundcloud.com/willpisani/minecraft-calming-dawn-comp

I believe I have addressed the panning, compression, and eq'ing issues; I also amplified it. I'm not sure how to humanize the strings beyond the humanize tool in Reaper. Any pointers?

I haven't changed/added to the ending, but I'm toying with the notion of ending the remix how it started. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

I think your long starting string ends too abruptly, any chance you could have a constant fade instead of what sounded like two quick cuts?

The ending feels out of place... I think what would make it transition well is have the main song fade out completely. Then instead of bringing the main string in immediately, have it fade in slowly, but keeping the notes the same volume. Sorta like this: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4r5nar9z4ubqk4z (sorry for mediafire, Soundcloud doesn't like uploading on my work computer)

Or anything else really, at the moment though it just comes back so abruptly that it feels like you're just looping the beginning (which it pretty much is).

Thanks for the reply, overwhelmed, but I decided to try my luck and submitted it yesterday. If it gets rejected I'll definitely follow your advice and rework the ending.

Yeah no problem, I still very much like it, just thought I'd give my two-cents at the tiny things that bugged me in case it matters at sometime.