OCR02346 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "The Feather's Reflection"

djpretzel

Not too long for me. Especially when building a dark atmosphere. :-)

So this is another incredible solo piano performance from Rexy. Piano like this would fit awesomely upon a death metal record from the mid-90s. It actually somewhat reminds me of Silhouette from Opeth's first CD. Another great performance full of ideas, flowing from one to the next. The movement at 2:38 was definitely a highlight with the staccato notes. I think the higher chords are used very well throughout this piece. There's some odd timing in the left hand at points but it isn't a dealbreaker. There's a bit of a late reflection on the reverb, which may have been a style choice -- it's a little too noticeable I think, but also not a dealbreaker. I think this is Rexy's strongest posted mix to date. :-)

Ah wow, I forgot all about this mix - I need to listen to Threshold more, I've got nothing but good memories of the album, and this song certainly is a nice one on the album. It is a dark brooding mix that carries the atmosphere pretty well, and is fairly unusual in that it remains interesting throughout for such a long and serious piece. Good job on this one, it's certainly a standout as far as piano mixes go on the site!

Mmmm, loving this one. Dark keyed solo-piano with a nice arrangement and great production. You know that it's really good when you can keep other people's attention going for more than five minutes, especially for a piano only piece. I'm not sure what it is about the Zelda series that lends itself so well to piano, but this was a great rendition of the Eagle's Tower. Very nice.

A nice piano rendition by Rexy, the thing she is known for the most. 1:28 brings in more of the source. 2:28 shows another part of the main rhythm. The track continues to build and expand into something more awesome and more beautiful, just like withMario’s Hazy Beach Holiday. It slows down at 4:03 or so. It goes back to basics at about 4:40.

Slightly outdated review from the album review. STILL COUNTS!

The opening chord just shows the deep conviction of the piece.

The lead parts are filled with soul, giving a feeling of loss and deep sadness to an almost angry extent.

At about 0:55 things get a bit more technical and the piece goes head first into a slump of depression.

I won't lie. I've listened to this piece when I've felt angry at the world. It helps a tonne.

2:39 brings with it a deeper sense of anger and sadness.

I can't help but picture a man sitting over his piano playing this while the tears drip from his eyes.

Maybe I'm just over imaginative. Haha

Either way, great piece to disregard the police to.

I'm, like, 2 weeks late with this but this is the part where I say thank you for your response :) I should've done it sooner, but I had rather been wanting for the Wild Arms and BadAss albums to sink in first before I could really make my move.

The response does indeed feel mostly positive, and I do sense both Brandon and Palpable noticing the tail of the piano texture used. This actually came from my attempts to add as much "realism" to the old sample bank that I used back in my student days, which meant having to tweak some of the envelopes on the patches that I had to work with including the attack and decay.

Yes, you read it - STUDENT DAYS. Believe it or not, this particular recording was established back in May of 2006 (yes, this take is nearly six years old!), when I had been working on the arrangement on and off during that year. This may explain some of my unhappiness with my life at the time really being channeled into the performance, fitting in with Aetherius's vision ridiculously well.

And so when I saw him dropping the project a year later, I felt extremely disappointed at what happened, not just with the project but the fact that I felt as if I was merely on projects that were going nowhere no matter how much effort I placed in them. Over time my attachment to the track was lost, but thanks to prophetik's dedication in getting it finished through phase 3 (and with then being when I FINALLY settled on a name for this thing) and getting the album unleashed upon the world, the amount of pride I had in putting it down was steadily built back up, and was soon reflected on the faint but positive user feedback from it upon the album's release.

It's a shame that I had lost the sample bank as I had been told for years that I couldn't emulate the same performance success that I had with "Tomorrow's Wake" (namely from Larry in-between talk segments on VG Frequency back in the day), and having discovered it it's all too late as I had moved onto a completely different set of gear, but I'm now game to learn with what I have now and see what I can do in what seems to be a more positive environment than years gone by. Hopefully this will be the start of a more positive comeback and not being over-confident in my abilities (when really these days, confidence in submissions tend to be lacking).

Long ramble over, but you get the picture :wink: Once again, a big thanks for the responses, and I hope to push things through for the future!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02346 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "The Feather's Reflection"