OCR02508 - *YES* Wolfenstein 3D 'My Loved Ones Are Gone'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer name: Psycho Crusher

Userid: 47622

Name of game arranged: Wolfenstein 3D

Name of arrangement: My Loved Ones Are Gone

Name of individual song: Wondering About My Loved Ones

I always liked how the original menu music from Wolfenstein 3D sounded. It has the classic melancholic atmosphere that I love so much.

I tried something different this time, I used a post-rock kind of sound with heavily layered guitars and tremolo picking notes.

Thanks for listening, guys.

Greetings from Chile!

---------------------

Oh my gooooood post rock <3

After judging your last submission, I knew you had some solid guitar playing chops but I wasn't expecting them to be applied in such a unique and expressive way. But, for the record, I was totally floored when I first listened to this, just as a listener. Then afterward, when I listened to the original and saw how you pulled from the riffs and the dark, brooding mood of the source to craft a remix that's melodically identical, but at the same time very expansive, it blew my mind.

Your drums sound noticeably dry and bland/uninteresting compared to some of the post rock I'm used to listening to, I think throwing more compression on your drums and EQing some of the individual kit pieces slightly differently would allow them to have more presence in the mix. Honestly though, they're not much of an issue in the big picture, the rest of the mix is extremely strong. Your guitars/bass are very atmospheric but also clean and distinct, this is about as good of processing as I've heard from some professional bands in the genre, and that's pretty hard to do.

The remix boils down to being pretty conservative/repetitive just because it relies on the same few riffs played over and over again. I do think you could have done more with the buildup to when the distortion guitars come in so that they worked in more naturally, or possibly even came up with a modified B-version of the riff, but you've got an interesting approach to this source by keeping a constant loop that you build up around and personalize through textures and progression instead of melodies, and I do feel like that's a viable method of remixing as far as OCR's standards are concerned. I can see how some judges might find problems with the repetitiveness here, but I'm sold on it.

Good luck with the rest of the vote :-)

YES

• 4 weeks later...

I am a little more concerned with the amount of repetitiveness in this track. That opening riff remains pretty much untouched and is used for almost the entire track. However, looking at it from a different angle, it is a pretty strong connecting factor as well. I am leaning towards it not being a dealbreaker, but it would have been nice to have some variety on it as well. The other negative factor to me stems from the slow buildup. Again, it's kind of a necessary evil in that the slow roll really helps the tension at the end of the track, but you have to get there first.

The second half of the track is pretty fantastic. Definitely an overall mood setter, and the guitar effects are used really well. One example is the wailing noises really mimicking...wailing ;). The balance is also very strong, and the parts fit together very well.

The emotions run pretty strong in this, and I think it's worth overlooking the factors against it in favor of a pass.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

that kick and snare (during the chilled out sections) are really weak and flimsy, and the sequencing is all really rigid and without any changes to velocity, this is especially noticeable in the cymbal parts. the writing is good overall, and the rest of the song is pretty well done. the arrangement was straightforward but well-executed, and I wasn't bothered by repetition. classy stuff.

anyway, I think I'd be willing to go conditional on beefing up the kick and snare, particularly in the more chill intro/outro, they're just not holding their weight among the rest of this mix. I'd like to see the sequencing humanized a bit as well, but I don't think it detracted enough from the song enough as to call it a dealbreaker.. a few easy tweaks, even just to the velocities, would make a nice difference though.

YES(conditional on kick/snare fix)

• 1 month later...

The song is definitely repetitive, but the overall mood shifts and builds enough that it's not completely stale, though i did feel it was cutting it really close. I agree with halc that the drums felt super weak and need to POWER UP. I think the song is really good, with a lot of washes of sound, but the drums need to have a lot more dominant power, and mixing up the riff a little bit would help too. The performances were fantastic, so the revisions are minor. I hope to hear this one again soon!

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...