OCR02362 - Mega Man 3 "Serpent's Spiral"

djpretzel

Sweeeet :D I actually said out loud "hey, awesome!" when I went to the front page and saw that you had been posted. I'd have to agree with the write-up that this isn't a world-beater, but it was definitely a tight arrangement that used a lot of the same sounds as the source but managed to morph it into something completely different. That takes skill, mang. So good work, and congrats again on your debut!!

Congratulations Jake! And true to your name, it had to relate to the "snake" in your name :razz:

So it starts out well with some pretty echoed square synths, probably a little overdone (might've preferred the echo feedback to be a little more reduced), but by the time the rest of the accompaniment comes in it starts providing a more mysterious atmosphere to it. It follows the source well for most of it, and manages to take some good liberties at 2:10 with some good original writing on top of the melody. I see it as a good chippy homage to Snake Man - a little simple, but it does indeed capture this peaceful "vertical" approach to the title quite well.

I have to say something; I am absolutely no fan of the almost constant padded drone at all (which I'm assuming was a heavily reverbed/softened e-piano). All it seemed to do was add writing-based mud towards it, which makes it really awkward to comprehend otherwise. If you were even hoping to keep it I would've recommended changing it to a different synth-like sound (some sort of chime?), reducing the volume and equalising when appropriate to make it more identifiable within the instrument roster. But as it is I could live with it, though whether I'd be comfortable with it remains to be seen.

I may have been quite critical with this one, but having witnessed some of your works since, I am sure that you're able to up your game in future submissions, especially since you also guided Snake Man through the Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2011 and had a submission from there passed; and I have every confidence that you'd get in there and take everything you learnt into new exciting ventures. For now, welcome to the clan :)

I really enjoy this song (and Snake Man's theme) a lot! Definitely one of my favorite Robot Master themes. I'll agree that some of the newer stuff I've heard from Jake in the compos is better than this track, but this is still a really solid song all around. I like the groovy moving bassline in the first half of the song. The second half does feel a bit more empty, but I like the additions of the bitcrushed drums, it brings a certain nostalgia factor from the original. Nice work!

I'm really diggin' the intro to this ReMix here. The chiptune/rock mix of styles works really well in the first half and I actually like how this becomes a bit more ambient as it goes on. Ending could have been a little better, but the rest of the tune sounds great. Nice arrangement and a strong debut track. Well done, man.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Love the ambience in this one. Slowing down Snake Man's normally fast rockin theme allows for a lot freedom in some sweet drum grooves. Really love the guitar harmonics combined with the low synth bass. The second half has enough legs to get by without any drums, and I actually like that they're kept to a minimum there. The oomph you get from the bass drum and hi hat work super well together. Excellent mix!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02362 - Mega Man 3 "Serpent's Spiral"