OCR02553 - *YES* Mega Man 1 & 3 'Drag Me Up (to Heaven)'

OceansAndrew

Remixer: Gario

UserID: 22898

Games Arranged: Mega Man, Mega Man 3

Name of Arrangement: Drag Me Up (to Heaven)

Tracks Arranged: Wily's Tower (Mega Man), Magnet Man's Stage (Mega Man 3)

Comments:

Wow, 2011 has been one heck of a ride for me, musically... yet I haven't submit anything to OCR since May. No clue why I haven't been submitting anything as of late... oh well, time to remedy that.

Darkesword's Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011 has been producing some of my best work of the year, and this particular piece is the cream of that crop. I worked a lot with the sound design on this one, using few of my normal synths or premade Reason synths, instead building my synths them from the ground up. Oddly enough, I actually didn't know what I was going to do with all these synths after I made them, so I just started putting chords together and really liked the atmosphere it created. From there I forced the Magnet Man theme into it (Strange compositional process - make up chords first and add the source later... worked for me, I guess), and added Wily 1-1 for texture.

I'm very happy with the resulting track - it's happy, it's soothing, it's exotic. It just doesn't sound like most of what I do, and I like that. I hope everyone enjoys the resulting track as much as I've enjoyed working with it.

• 4 weeks later...

ah, WCRG tracks hitting the panel already. a reminder that we have 0 in the inbox and a billion to vote on. ;D

really smooth textures here, very pleasing to the ears. :) probably the most solidly produced piece I've heard from you yet, with a nice arrangement to boot. a broader sonic pallete may have lended some nice results, but you've taken some simple sounds and made a nicely sophisticated soundscape with them. nice work here, man.

YES

This feels significantly more full-bodied than a lot of the mixes I'm used to hearing from you, and the results are spectacular :-) The much-needed low end presence helps balance your overall mix so that the chiptune sounds don't come off so grating on the ears. Instead, you were able to utilize those sharp chiptune sounds in a much more relaxed, mellow context and I'm extremely happy with the results :-D Glad you took some feedback to heart, this really does sound like some of your best work to date.

The arrangement here is pretty basic but I feel like the expansive soundscape, coupled with a lot of original countermelodies is enough to sell me on this mix. Keep it up Greg!

YES

It's-a Greg, Gario! Very cool stuff, this was a surprising combination of sources that really came together. I think I would have enjoyed more development in the fullness of the song, some really heavy drums or something, but keeping it chill worked fine. This tended towards the grating side with all those sharp synth sounds, and you could have softened this a little. That's really the only advice I can give you, this was otherwise very solid work.

YES