New Year's Resolutions Thread 2012 Edition

zircon

What are everyone's resolutions for this year? Let's share and support one another :<

For fun, if you made resolutions for 2011, let us know how they went. Here was the 2011 thread:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32428

Before I get to the resolutions, 2011 was a mixed bag for me. I had a major health crisis that put me in the hospital for a week and left me recovering for a week after that, and which still affects my life a bit daily. I then had several minor health issues. On the bright side, Jill and I bought our first house, though that essentially ate up the last 4-5 months of our lives. With that in mind, here's how I managed to do...

* Automate and delegate more parts of my career, so I can spend more time on the important stuff.

Did pretty well on this. Whereas last year I was doing literally everything myself, this year I worked harder to find contractors and part-time help (like DrumUltima with Impact Soundworks!) while focusing on the important stuff. I think I can still delegate, outsource and automate further though.

* Release at least 3 new sample libraries.

Only managed to release 2, but significant progress was made on 2 more. So... kind of!

* Finish and release my next album and make it the best I've ever done.

Sadly, I failed this one by at least a few months. While I did get a lot of work done on my next album, the various aforementioned life events made it impossible to finish. But definitely tweet at @JillianAversa and @BigGiantCircles to finish their vocals for me :P

* Create another CD of high-end production music.

Didn't even start... oops :x

* Get an actual AAA gig (MI2SE itself wasn't really AAA, though it was a major studio.)

Amazingly, I got this with Soulcalibur V. :D

* Improve my personal efficiency and time usage.

I made some headway here, especially toward the end of the year, with discipline and habits. Definitely can still do better.

* Lose and keep off another 15 pounds.

Actually REGRESSED by 10 pounds. :(

* Make more of an effort to see friends and meet new ones.

Thanks to our move to Owings Mills, this is coming along!

* Make at least $100,000. Hey, gotta shoot high.

Won't know until tax time but... maaaaaybe before taxes and business expenses. Nowhere close with those things though. Recording projects and international travel are really expensive.

In terms of new resolutions:

* Make a concerted effort to make more music of all kinds.

* Learn more about orchestration, improvisation and composition on a more formal level.

* Finish my next album.

* Release 3 sample libraries.

* Score another AAA game, and at least one other decently large title aside from that.

* Release 20 more tutorial videos of various kinds.

* Finish a secret remix project.

* Lose 10 pounds.

* Make at least one new friend unrelated to OCR/VGM.

How about you guys?

Learn more music theory

Learn more on electrical engineering

Start to learn italian and be able to read it well

Become a better person, swear less and listen more

Lose 25 pounds, become handsome again and go back to gym

Learn a few new tricks with C and write a few useful things

Also stop fast food and actually eat what's left int he fridge

Get better on guitars and get awesome at production.. audio & video

Make a couple more tunes for an album and at least another one for an OCR album

Stop buying alcohol other than for events Stop sugar and reduce my meat consumption by half

Hey I was looking for that old thread and couldn't find it x_x I was thinking about starting a thread like this.

Historically I have usually been very excited about New Year's Resolutions and motivated to work on them throughout the year, but though I have reflected much as the last year came to an end, I couldn't think of any resolutions for the coming year. I guess I've already attained perfection ;-) But seriously, there are still many things that I want to improve, but nothing comes to me as a well-defined goal to set.

However, I do take resolutions seriously so I will at least post my last year's resolutions and how I did on them:

- Eat less processed foods.

Under duress of financial limitations, I was actually forced to succeed in this goal ^_^; I cook almost all my meals now, so it's very easy to control what I eat and make sure it's healthy, with lots of veggies, whole grains, etc.

- Learn more about environmental and social impact of consumer choices, and shift spending towards more eco-friendly and socially responsible choices.

I have to say, I didn't put a lot of effort into this one.

- Exercise.

Thanks to the Pump It Up Pro 2 machine that now lives in my house, I definitely succeeded at this. (I call it the cardio machine.) I play a few times a week now, in addition to the ultimate frisbee games I've been playing throughout the year.

- Draw some. More than once this year. Even if it's only like 3 times. I barely did any drawing in 2010, which makes me sad.

I drew SO MUCH this year. I felt very good about that .D

- Play more video games. I played like 2 games in 2010. Also for the sad-making.

I played a handful of good games this year: Kirby's Epic Yarn, Bowser's Inside Story, aforementioned PIUP2, and very recently at the tail end of the year I got addicted to League of Legends .D I also moved in with a roommate who has a bunch of consoles including older ones, and so have ended up randomly playing some games here and there such as lolo 2, the original super mario bros. with the game genie codes where you totally mess up certain aspects of the game (we found some amazing ones), the original smash bros., toejam and earl, etc.

Well. I guess if I had to come up with one resolution I would say: finish the damn acoustic album!

It's about time I got back to the gym. I was making fantastic progress and starting to get pretty ripped til I fell out of a god-damned tree at chthonic's place. Six months later, I think my back is in good enough shape to toss some weights around again, but it's going to be hard to juggle that with my budding music hobby and the time-vortex that is dental school :/

Also, I will eat less ice cream (lol, no i won't) and further optimize my Paleo lifestyle approach despite unbridled ice cream consumption.

My main goals for 2012 were originally going to be "get a better job" and "properly set up a DAW so I can make music again", but I actually knocked out the first goal back in November after getting hired by National Geographic.

The second one is definitely a huge goal for me though. I haven't made a track in two and a half years, minus a collab I did with Stevo for OLR. It's way past time to step up my production game.

I also want to add losing some weight as a goal. 20 lbs is my aim.

I didn't post in the last thread? Where was I? :cry:

Well I guess I can start fresh here then...

-Go back to college

-Make a youtube series

-Make a regular income from recording music

-Learn to cope with loss better

-Get new glasses (this might sound lame but I've had the same since 2009)

-Contribute to the circle of life

-Donate blood more often

Two things up the top of my head: to finally get past the panel with something other than a collab/piano solo (which due to what I learnt in the Wily Gauntlet things may happen yet), and to progress to moving independently (may help me with some of my mother's entitlement issues rubbing off on me o_O).

Outside of there, I'm game to keep contributing for 2012... providing no major catastrophes happen :wink:

Oh boy...this is going to bite me later on.

-Submit at least three ReMixes, have at least one ReMix posted by MAGfest 11

-Maintain or have a weight lower than 160 lbs (currently 187)

-Get involved in a relationship

-Get a kickass internship/part time job

-Be more social than I currently am (less YouTube specifically)

2012 Resolution: Finish what I start. I'm great at getting excited about an idea I have, only to work on it a little bit and then (just because I don't feel like working on it one day) never working on it again. I'm a writer first and foremost so I have a lot of stories, screenplays, etc. to hash out, but I may mix it up as the year goes on, I don't know. To give this resolution higher stakes, I decided that every single month I'm embarking on a creative project and making myself finish it by the end of that month. By creating monthly deadlines for myself, I'm hoping that the lazy resolution mindset of "oh, I still have 12 months to get this done, I'll worry about it later" will be fended off. With that said, I'm finishing a screenplay this month that I was super-excited about in May before my self-discipline completely went away.

If you paid any attention at all, you'd know I don't have 11. :D Learn to understand, maybe?

It's hardly my fault that you fail to explain exactly what your challenge is. My assumption would have been that you mean to beat every single number that you have listed, regardless of ownership. Else why would you include it at all?

edit: I'm coming off as entirely too incendiary, I only meant my original post as a little rib

don't mind me, I'm just an ass

I usually do not make resolutions because I am terrible at keeping them, but as long as there's a thread for it, I'll fire away.

In no particular order:

Get one or two of my books published.

Release a new comedy CD.

Figure out how to sell my first comedy CD.

Refuse to vote for any of the Republican garden gnomes.

Survive the zombie apocalypse.

If anyone wants to offer suggestions on the first three points, feel free.