Beginner's Electric Guitar

I've been looking at picking up an electric guitar recently, but I know very little about what to actually look for. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will be able to help me out!

I should start by saying that I have very little experience, with no formal training at all. I've been using a Fender Squier Stratocaster. I had purchased it for the rock band usage, but I ended up just plucking around with it more than with the game.

Looking at taking lessons, but I'd really like to have an instrument of a bit higher quality (i.e. that can actually stay in tune and isn't a MIDI controller). I've been looking at a Squier Bullet Strat. It seems like a good introductory level instrument, and about the right budget range I'm looking for. I've heard good things about Musician's Friend, but I've never purchased anything from there myself.

Any thoughts on this? I'm really just looking for something to learn on; not exactly aiming for a professional level instrument here, but a guitar that can last is important.

I might be able to help since my job is to sell guitars at a music store, but I need to know exactly how much of your budget you want to place there (you can tell me in PM).

Do you mean for budget? I'm looking to spend up to around $200, but I'd be willing to push a little higher if it's really worth it. The one I linked is about $120, which a rather attractive price range.

I'd go for a Jackson JS20 (around 200$) and for a couple extra bucks Schecter with the Omen 6 (300$), in the later you get great pick-ups for stock ones. You can also check out some Epiphones, but for ±200$ I'd only recommand some acoustics.

I would not advise you to buy a 100$ electric guitar because they are made so fast, inacurate, with bad components (electronics and parts) and don't stay in tune because of the bad tuning keys. I had a problem with Squire-like guitars when I couldn't balance the tension between the rear springs and the strings because the tremolo block got in the way of the back plate; they screwed the screws with an angle which means they screwed the job and didn't care at all because all they other guitars have the same problem.. It's hard to explain if you don't see what's i'm talking about but to say short it's chain-made by noobs.

Schecter with the Omen 6 (300$)

Excellent recommendation right here. Schecter builds guitars on par with axes that cost 3x as much. They're built like tanks and have great tone. Slap some better pickups into an Omen 6 and you'll have yourself something you may never want to replace.

I'm also gonna echo the same thing with Squier stuff. I got good tone out of my Squier bass, but it didn't hold up very well at all. My girlfriend's Squier Strat also saw very little play and I can see some signs of wear. They're just not that well-built.

Doing a cursory search from musician's friend netted me two results:

DV016_Jpg_Large_H70200.002_gloss_black_R.jpg

Schecter Guitar Research Omen Solo-6 Electric Guitar

and

DV016_Jpg_Large_518181.001_black.jpg

Schecter Guitar Research Omen 6 Electric Guitar

Both are $299 from Musician's Friend. Is that a good place to buy from? Or should I actually go to a physical store (gasp!) and talk to... persons?

Thanks for the help so far!

• 3 weeks later...

rI can recommend my guitar, the Ibanez RG3EXFM1. It's a discontinued Ibanez you can get for $150-$200 (reg. is $350). Fantastic build quality, low action, great pickups and it stays in tune (it's hardtail too). I got this guitar back in November, and I've developed more guitar skill in the past 2 months than I have in the prior 2 years because this guitar plays so comfortably and correctly. Let's just say I didn't develop much skill at all prior to this guitar. I got this axe for $130. The same price as a cheap quality First Act toys r us guitar which I bought NEW.

newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=832390_c491243_image_0.jpg

Never buy a new guitar, it's a waste of money. :/