'Disconnect' feat. Flexstyle - Cold Man MM&B + MM9 'We're the Robots' ReMix

AkumajoBelmont feat. Flexstyle 'Disconnect'

http://www.box.com/s/a1sug3g8z5y6iu8dkf4m

Sources:

MM9 'Wily 2 - We're the Robots'

MM&B 'Cold Man' -

So this is my final track for the Wily Gauntlet 2011. It's a bit different from my previous entries. This time I went for a moreof a pretty, down-tempo, chilled vocal electronic ballad.

I've done some pretty heavy vocal processing this time around - I wanted to go for a more Eiffel 65/E.S. Posthumus sound in the vocals - it lends itself quite well to the mood of the track. This is not complete yet. Transitions need a lot of work still, the chorus needs some amping up and drama still, but yeah, it's a full length track so far.

I was running out of time this round, so Flex came up with an awesome Bubbly synth solo in the middle of the track for me, as well as doing some really lush trance-style pads for me for the chorus and middle sections. THANK TEAM M8! Verses use the chordal structure of 'We're the Robots' but the vocal lines and the synth solo are a heavily modified take on the main melody of the Cold Man theme. Also, Both source tunes have been pitched up 2 so that it sits in the sweet spot of my vocal range.

Also, thanks again to Jason Covenant for giving the track some volume again! Thanks man :D

I really hope you guys like this. The lyrics aren't as cheesy as my previous entry for the compo.

So yeah, a lot of work still to to to polish this up, but all the basic elements are well and truly there!

Here's the lyrics:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broken ties...

Broken ties...

I see black and white-

a part of the great divide.

What is plain for you to see is not so easy for me.

You see a sky, and I see blue.

I see a river running but can't wade through.

What hits my eyes won't hit my head.

You gotta help me fix

Broken ties.

This disconnect I'm feeling has got me reeling inside.

Can't handle my emotions, so help me

'Cause baby tonight - Woah-oh

We're running out of time - Woah-oh

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for taking the time to check this out! Lemme know what you think!

And Happy New Year EVERYONE!!! :)

Alright, nice vocals! Solid backing from Flexstyle creates a great soundscape here, however there are parts that sound a bit empty, and I think that creates a strange feel to the song. Particularly the part leading up to "you gotta help me fix..." (basically the whole part from "You see sky...") just sounds too quiet and completely out of character for the song. One other thing I'm not a fan of is the note you lead off with when you sing "...siiiiiide". It just sounds off to me... maybe intentionally to make it sound more interesting, however for the chilled feel of the song it doesn't sit right with me. Try pitching it up a few semitones and/or doing a different vocal harmony there, and I'd definitely change the pre-chorus mixing to something a little more prominent and you should be good to go :)

Alright, nice vocals! Solid backing from Flexstyle creates a great soundscape here, however there are parts that sound a bit empty, and I think that creates a strange feel to the song. Particularly the part leading up to "you gotta help me fix..." (basically the whole part from "You see sky...") just sounds too quiet and completely out of character for the song. One other thing I'm not a fan of is the note you lead off with when you sing "...siiiiiide". It just sounds off to me... maybe intentionally to make it sound more interesting, however for the chilled feel of the song it doesn't sit right with me. Try pitching it up a few semitones and/or doing a different vocal harmony there, and I'd definitely change the pre-chorus mixing to something a little more prominent and you should be good to go :)

Those parts of the song you mentioned are exactly what I didn't get time to touch on. Got this up and running in 3 days, and with New Years, and deadline, some stuff had to fall by the wayside. But rest assured, it'll be one of the first things I do.

Also that note you were talking about, I know what you mean... it's a little more exposed than it should be - another thing I didn't have time to address. I completely flattened that note in Melodyne to sound almost entirely robotic, however when I recorded it, it had a lot of dynamics to it. I may re-record that particular part of the vocals, or I'm thinking a bit more verb on it would do it wonders. I'll be sure to fix it though.

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely food for thought! :D

• 2 weeks later...