Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery Zone goes Hard Rock/Metal (now with Killer Studio Chops)

Devastus

UPDATED 8.1.2012

Something I started making after watching speedruns for a short while. Totally got a nostalgia overload, as a kid I played the game with a friend of mine all the time and this is one of those songs that I can still remember very clearly.

Source: http://youtu.be/_T7hdIh-gtw

Remix: Airborne (Flying Battery Zone Act 1) - http://www.mediafire.com/?qwe4029wg2n6pxk

I need feedback with this one. Did a concentrated 6-8 hour workpace and even forgot to eat anything, getting pretty tired too so fresh pair of ears could do wonders.

First off, wow this is awesome. Great source and you rocked it out exceedingly well. Killer Studio Chops indeed.

Overall, I'd say the arrangement is fairly conservative, but you do have some parts where you branch out, particularly at that 1:50 - 2:10-ish section. It's not a big deal to me, but I wonder if you subbed it if the judges would think there isn't enough re-arrangement going on.

For the mixing, it sounds pretty tight to me in general. At points the rhythm guitar sounds a bit muddy, particular at the 1:20 - 1:45 "wall of sound" section, where they seem to be overpowering the lead guitar at times. It makes that section feel a bit too cluttered, in my opinion. The lead sounds pretty crisp and upfront in the rest of the mix otherwise.

The percussion sounds a bit too harsh at times too, particular the cymbal. Not that it's too loud, just a bit abrasive. I'm having trouble describing what I'm hearing. At other times the cymbal sounds like it's being lost in the background (0:50 - 0:53). The kick also feels like it could use a little more punch throughout, especially in the bass frequencies. It feels a bit empty right now. But that could just be my preference, as I like a strong bass kick, at least for this style.

Other than that, this thing is awesome man, nice work! I also gotta say, I love the other stuff I've heard from you. Your Maverick Remix Battle song from last year and the song you have on the Wild Arms album are both great. I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing more of your stuff here on OCR!

Thanks alot for the feedback guys! I did some updating on it, here it is (updating the first post too): http://www.mediafire.com/?46ea6l94l8j1u78

There's some new tricks here and there to wrap the arrangement up better and keep you interested. I also redid the short calm part into a ballad-esque interlude, just to give a breather between all the hard loving :-P

I added a little bit bass to the kicks, should give more of an oomph now. Did some small tuning on the mix altogether too, though the "wall of sound" part is a bit tricky since there's two layers of rhythm guitar going, steady chugging and chords. I reduced the chugging a little bit, hopefully that was enough to clear it up.

I'll be changing this to Finished, though I'll still do finishing touches if need be before having a Mod review it.

Nice! I think the update cleans things up significantly. Overall the mix sounds just a little bit more crisp, so whatever you adjusted seemed to work. I like the new kick better overall, and the chugging doesn't feel so overpowering in that "wall of sound" section, so I think the lead is bit more pronounced there.

I really like the little additions you added too, like the ballad-esque interlude you mentioned, and especially the little background part at 0:48 - 0:54, it sounds cool.

Nice job, this is great!

Ok, I think it's ready for Mod Review! To be honest, I did more than just finishing touches, for example I had totally forgotten to actually make a decent intro from the layout :-P You can tell I was tired alright.

Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?qwe4029wg2n6pxk

More intricate details, like leaning over to having the guitar start a duet (doubled leads etc. giving away what's coming ahead) of a sort after it picks up, and little adjustments in the mix. For example, the wall of sound really packs a punch now without too much clutter!

Updated the first post too. Time to see how it fares.

Very nice! I really like the additions you made... the new little intro bit greatly improves the opening of the song and the double leads creates a cool effect. The wall of sound section is even more powerful now, while not getting cluttered. I don't really have anything constructive to add :mrgreen: great work!

I don't know how anyone else hasn't commented on this awesomeness yet... I guess everyone is still getting back from MAGfest hah.

<MODREVIEW>

Oh dear, you actually want me to mod review this? I’m having a really hard time nitpicking anything here. Drums are nice and punchy, I really dig the arrangement, the guitars are all shining through in their appropriate spots very nicely, and my metal face is in full gear.

Let’s see, I’m gonna dig a little deep here, but here’s what I’ve got for you:

- Drums could stand perhaps just a touch more velocity variation, as a lot of hits sound the same very close together. Kinda depends on the kit you’re using, really.

- Some of the guitar chugs could use tightening, timing-wise (especially at the beginning of the song and at about 0:55 or so)

- Uh…needs moar killer studio chops? Honestly, I got nothing else for you.

I’d recommend you sub this, personally. I’m also going to stick it in my car, because metalface and car goes together quite nicely.

</MODREVIEW>

First off, wow this is awesome. Great source and you rocked it out exceedingly well. Killer Studio Chops indeed.

Overall, I'd say the arrangement is fairly conservative, but you do have some parts where you branch out, particularly at that 1:50 - 2:10-ish section. It's not a big deal to me, but I wonder if you subbed it if the judges would think there isn't enough re-arrangement going on.

For the mixing, it sounds pretty tight to me in general. At points the rhythm guitar sounds a bit muddy, particular at the 1:20 - 1:45 "wall of sound" section, where they seem to be overpowering the lead guitar at times. It makes that section feel a bit too cluttered, in my opinion. The lead sounds pretty crisp and upfront in the rest of the mix otherwise.

The percussion sounds a bit too harsh at times too, particular the cymbal. Not that it's too loud, just a bit abrasive. I'm having trouble describing what I'm hearing. At other times the cymbal sounds like it's being lost in the background (0:50 - 0:53). The kick also feels like it could use a little more punch throughout, especially in the bass frequencies. It feels a bit empty right now. But that could just be my preference, as I like a strong bass kick, at least for this style.

Other than that, this thing is awesome man, nice work! I also gotta say, I love the other stuff I've heard from you. Your Maverick Remix Battle song from last year and the song you have on the Wild Arms album are both great. I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing more of your stuff here on OCR!

I agree, this sound awsome but the rhythm guitars sound full but lacking with low end and low mids at the sametime :???: <-- my expression

But that me, maybe you already like the mix as it is.

Definatly submit this, but im not sure how long it would take for ocr judges to get to you ; (

<MODREVIEW>

Oh dear, you actually want me to mod review this? I’m having a really hard time nitpicking anything here. Drums are nice and punchy, I really dig the arrangement, the guitars are all shining through in their appropriate spots very nicely, and my metal face is in full gear.

Let’s see, I’m gonna dig a little deep here, but here’s what I’ve got for you:

- Drums could stand perhaps just a touch more velocity variation, as a lot of hits sound the same very close together. Kinda depends on the kit you’re using, really.

- Some of the guitar chugs could use tightening, timing-wise (especially at the beginning of the song and at about 0:55 or so)

- Uh…needs moar killer studio chops? Honestly, I got nothing else for you.

I’d recommend you sub this, personally. I’m also going to stick it in my car, because metalface and car goes together quite nicely.

</MODREVIEW>

Haha, I didn't expect such a warm welcome with this song. I recommend highway cruising while playing this, it has that certain tone to it :P Thanks for the feedback, I'll see if there's something I can fix and then sub it.

I agree, this sound awsome but the rhythm guitars sound full but lacking with low end and low mids at the sametime :???: <-- my expression

But that me, maybe you already like the mix as it is.

Definatly submit this, but im not sure how long it would take for ocr judges to get to you ; (

Thanks man! The lacking with low end was actually intended; I had to EQ some away to get everything shining through since it has a dozen of guitar layers playing inbetween. Not necessarily the best option, but I like the hard rock-ish feel to it that it created, so I guess it's good enough :P