Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ReMix Project - On Hold

Theophany

Z1XG8.jpg

Project Directors: Theophany, Emunator

Art Director: keiiii

Project Concept

This is a collaborative concept album designed to capture the story, characters and environments of Ocarina of Time through the combined efforts of remixers, performers, and visual artists. Because of the enormous number of Ocarina of Time remixes and solo projects over the years, we want this album to be a community effort. We are encouraging collaboration as much as possible with the goal of creating one of the most professional-sounding, cohesive, and story-driven OCR albums to date.

What We Need

1. Arrangers to conceptualize and complete remixes. This is where the bulk of the work will be!
  2. Producers who are interested in offering their services to artists who would like to participate but don't have the production or sequencing skills to create an OCR-quality remix.
  3. Performers who are experienced with any type of instrument and have a high-quality recording setup. We would like to get quality live performers on remixes in any instance where a remixer's sample quality isn't up to par.
  4. Visual Artists to create accompanying pieces of art for each track or "scene" in the project.
  5. Sound Designers interested in mastering and sound design for the project.

If you're interested in contributing to one or more of the above areas, please get in touch with myself or Emunator and show us a sample of your work.

Auditioning / Claiming

Unless you were specifically invited to remix a particular track by the directors before the project went public, all remixers wishing to claim a track will need to provide a solid work in progress that is approved by both directors (for overall quality and for its cohesiveness with the rest of the album) in order to make a claim on any track.

This is all in the spirit of collaboration and sharing ideas, so please don't feel daunted or afraid to audition. If you don't feel comfortable with production or sequencing, but are a talented arranger with a great concept for a track, we will work with you and do whatever it takes to bring your song up to the necessary level of quality. It does not matter if you are a posted remixer, an OCR veteran of 10 years or someone who just joined the community yesterday, the only thing that matters here is the quality of your work!

Genre Guidelines

The genre for this project is “soundtrack”, which is pretty open ended. A good reference of what we’re looking for is anime soundtracks. Anime OSTs have both story-specific “cinematic” tracks, as well as “themed” tracks which appear throughout the series at appropriate moments.

Anime OSTs generally blend a variety of orchestral, world, and electronic influences while still delivering the appropriate mood and energy. The Ocarina of Time OST is expansive, varied, and creates a strong sense of exploration and “seeing the world” and its cultures. That’s the kind of spirit we want to capture by incorporating unique instrumentation and diverse musical influences. BE CREATIVE. We strongly encourage artists to step outside of their comfort zone, since you'll have a great support network of performers and producers at your disposal to help you push your boundaries as a musician.

Genre influences for each remix should always be source-appropriate and should try to fit with the general direction of the album. To help with this, CONTACT ONE OF THE DIRECTORS with a concept for your track before preparing an audition to make sure it will fit on the album. This doesn't mean that we will only accept certain genres for each track, but we reserve the right to refuse a WIP if the genre selection clashes too much with the rest of the album.

Source Usage

Since many of the themes in Ocarina of Time are extremely short, we are open to the use/cameo of themes from other Zelda Games when it feels appropriate to the mood or setting. Good examples might be re-occurring locations and ocarina themes from Twilight Princess and Link to the Past. What's important is that outside sources fit from a musical/mood standpoint, and within the "universe" of Ocarina of Time in the sense that they don't draw too much attention away from the OoT source you're remixing.

We've already included a few instances of this on the working tracklist, but if there's an event/area in Ocarina of Time that you would like to see represented with a non-OoT source, just let us know and we'll see if it can work for the project!

Intermission Tracks

At the end of each disc, we've got a space for an Intermission track that is an exceptionally strong arrangement, but perhaps might not fit anywhere in the main album flow. These tracks could be great opportunities for various medleys or longer, more traditional remixes. If you have an idea for any of these tracks, feel free to get in touch with one of the directors about it!

Gapless Playback

The final album will be formatted for gapless playback. If you’re using ambience and sound design in your track intros/outros, please leave 10+ second buffers/tails which can be used to transition to and from your track. If your arrangement does not use ambiance, just keep in mind sound design may be added if there’s a need to help transition into your track.

Deadlines

Deadlines will be instituted and handled on a case-by-case basis. Always maintain contact with the project directors, especially if you cannot meet a deadline.

Full Res Banner:

http://i.imgur.com/hZ4J1.jpg

Sig Banner:

http://i.imgur.com/AyckJ.jpg

Edited by Theophany

Tracklist

Disc 1

1. Legend of Hyrule
    - Claimed By: **interest expressed
  2. Title Theme
    - Claimed By: Zircon/Jillian Aversa
  3. House
    - Claimed By: Calum
  4. Kokiri Forest (Source) - Claimed By: ProtoDome/Level 99
  5. Deku Tree/Inside the Deku Tree (Source 1),
    - Claimed By: rBrn
  6. Battle
    - Claimed By: Theophany
  7. Saria's Song (+Fairy Ocarina Get) (Source) - Claimed By: Theophany
  8. Kaepora Gaebora
    - Claimed By: Jean of mArc
  9. Hyrule Field (+Sun's Song)
    - Claimed By: Ergosonic/Zylance
  10. Market
    - Claimed By: Archangel
  11. Shop (Source) - Claimed By: chimpazilla
  12. Hyrule Courtyard
    - Claimed By: Peach
  13. Zelda's Lullaby
    - Claimed By: Jillian Aversa/Theophany
  14. Intermission ~ Medley - Claimed By: Jeremy Robson/Derek Oren

Disc 2

1. Lon Lon Ranch
    - Claimed By: McVaffe
  2. Kakariko Village
    - Claimed By: Scaredsim/Harjawaldar
  3. Goron City
    - Claimed By: Wiesty/Abadoss/DrumUltimA
  4. Fairy Fountain
    - Claimed By: avaris
  5. Zora's Domain
    - Claimed By: Doc Nano
  6. Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly
    - Claimed By: halc
  7. Middle Boss
  8. Enter Ganondorf
    - Claimed By:
  9. Temple of Time
    - Claimed By: Wiesty/Theophany
  10. Open Door of Time/Master Sword
  11. Intermission ~ ??? - Claimed By:

Disc 3

1. Sheik's Theme
    - Claimed By: Geoffrey Taucer
  2. Prelude of Light
    - Claimed By: Sir Jordanius
  3. Potion Shop
  4. Lost Woods
    - Claimed By: Rellik
  5. Minuet of Forest
  6. Forest Temple
    - Claimed By: Jillian Aversa
  7. Boss Battle
    - Claimed By:
  8. Bolero of Fire
  9. Fire Temple
    - Claimed By: Radiowar
  10. Dinosaur Battle
  11. Ice Cavern
  12. Water Temple
  13. Serenade of Water
    - Claimed By: Abadoss
  14. Lake Hylia (TP) (Source)- Claimed By: Matt E. Waldman
  15. Intermission ~ ??? - Claimed By:

Disc 4

1. Song of Storms
    - Claimed By: djpretzel
  2. Nocturne of Shadow
    - Claimed By:
  3. Shadow Temple
  4. Gerudo Valley
    - Claimed By: Sixto/Level 99/Jeff Ball/bustatunez
  5. Gerudo Desert (TP) (Source)- Claimed By: Jakesnke17
  6. Spirit Temple
    - Claimed By: prophetik
  7. Twinrova
    - Claimed By: Zircon
  8. Requiem of Spirit
    - Claimed By:
  9. Ganon's Castle
    - Claimed By: WaltzforLuma
  10. Ganondorf Battle
    - Claimed By:
  11. Ganon's Castle Bridge
    - Claimed By:
  12. Last Battle
    - Claimed By:
  13. Seal of the Six Sages
    - Claimed By:
  14. Credits - Claimed By:
  15. Ending ~ Title Theme - Claimed By: BogusRed

Unplaced Tracks (ones we want remixed but don't have a place in the tracklist for yet, or smaller themes that we can live without but will still take remixes for if you're inspired!)

1. Fairy Flying (Source)- Claimed By:
  2. Mini-Game
    - Claimed By:
  3. Shooting Gallery
    - Claimed By:
  4. Horse Race
    - Claimed By:

Key

Black = Unclaimed Track

Green - Track Claimed with no WIP

Red - Track Claimed with a short WIP/concept

Blue - Track Claimed with Significant Progress

Purple - Track Claimed with Almost-Finished WIP

Orange - Track Finished

**interest expressed** - Someone is working on a WIP for this song but hasn't submitted it yet. You're free to try and audition anyway, but at least talk to me or Theophany first about it.

Performers Available for Collaboration

1. Theophany - production, arranging, sample libraries.
  2. Terra Mater - vocals (female), folk harp, guitar (acoustic), piano, recorder, djembe, glockenspiel, rainstick, tambourine, Irish bouzouki
  3. Calum - Piano, Mandolin, Guitar (acoustic, electric) violin, viola
  4. DrumUltimA - marimba, vibraphone
  5. Moot - Bassoon
  6. Moot's Friend - Clarinet
  7. Eponymized - Guitar (acoustic, electric)
  8. C7 - Trumpet
  9. CN - Vocals (Male)

Edited by Emunator

Look forward to it! Just to clarify though, we're not looking to force collaborations or exclusively seeking out arrangers who need production help. We want high production quality on every track, whether it's the project staff or the remixer (or both) achieving that goal. We just don't want lack of production to be a limiting/deciding factor for people with a really solid arrangement...

You've obviously put a lot of thought into how to run this thing and what you want out of it; this alone makes me look forward to the album a lot! (Plus Theophany/pixietricks collab? That alone sounds worth the wait!) Good luck!

edit: I've actually been singing Zelda's Lullaby as an actual lullaby for my daughter.. it works. :)

--Eino

SO. I'm really interested in helping out with this project, but I am unfortunately still pretty green when it comes to arranging/producing/that kind of thing.

HOWEVER.

I can play bassoon, and have the ability to record myself playing bassoon. I also happen to have access to a contra bassoon at the moment (though only until about the end of June really). If anyone is interested in some low reed goodness, I would be more than happy to help out!

But either way, good luck in steering this through, Theo :D

Thanks... I already have some awesome help, and hopefully support for the project will pickup quickly (:

SO. I'm really interested in helping out with this project, but I am unfortunately still pretty green when it comes to arranging/producing/that kind of thing.

HOWEVER.

I can play bassoon, and have the ability to record myself playing bassoon. I also happen to have access to a contra bassoon at the moment (though only until about the end of June really). If anyone is interested in some low reed goodness, I would be more than happy to help out!

Moot, do you have any samples/recordings of your playing? We'll put you on the performers list if you want to offer your playing skill. Just make sure we got reliable contact info for you, private message me or Emu. If anyone you know is down to help out, like wood wind players in general, that would be cool too...

Edited by Theophany

Awesome, I love Ocarina of Time.

Well, I'd like to offer up my performance skills to anyone who's interested! I can contribute female vocals, folk harp, piano, recorder, glockenspiel, djembe, tambourine and rainstick, and maybe Irish bouzouki.

Considering harp and Zelda go really well together, if you need a real harp, I can help you. :)

www.youtube.com/roseofmay

www.natalyazarraga.com

Specific samples:

(Serenade of Water harp cover)

(Oath to Order/Giant's theme harp cover)

(Evanescence cover with vocals, harp, recorders, and guitar)

("Sundown," an original song)

@Terra

Wow, thank you for posting. Really impressive work... We're really looking for people with unique instrumental skills so we'll definitely be in touch soon. There's already a few tracks on the project I know could really shine with your help. Are the OCR forums the best way to keep in touch? If not PM us and let us know!

@Terra

Wow, thank you for posting. Really impressive work... We're really looking for people with unique instrumental skills so we'll definitely be in touch soon. There's already a few tracks on the project I know could really shine with your help. Are the OCR forums the best way to keep in touch? If not PM us and let us know!

Yay, thanks! That's great to hear, I'd love to help and I can't wait to do so. OCR forums are fine for getting in touch. :)

CN, sounds like you can sing pretty well man. I'll mark you down. I was listening to deep memory and thought of the new Deus Ex OST. Vocals like yours could sound really cool on a Temple remix or one of the darker ocarina themes. Are these forums the best way to contact you? Also, nice name. My family is from Toronto... :)

I plan on getting a wip together for a track or two for this soon (along with everything else I plan on doing :-P ), but I want to put myself down for trumpet playing. Here are a few examples:

(posted on OCR)

Mega Man - Riding the Avalanche

Mega Man - License to Chill

Mega Man - The Filler

I'm not sure what my wife is willing to do at the moment, but she's the clarinetist in License and Riding.

While indeed I am continuing to work on my FF6 track, I'm starting to put together an audition track for this project for the Temple of Time. While that should by no means frighten off any more talented musician from wanting to take the iconic track, hopefully I can submit something and see if it's up to snuff. If not, it's off to the workshop, I suppose : p

I'm not sure what my wife is willing to do at the moment

I hope it's butt stuff

...Too far...?

Anyway, this sounds like a fun project. I'll check back in a couple weeks to see if you guys still need remixers, cause I'm musically swamped with the last round of the WCRG since I'll be my team's primary mixer and with writing original stuff to finish up an EP, plus getting settled into the percussion studio at school/preparing for placement auditions. So yeah, I'll check the thread or PM someone or whatever in a couple weeks to see if there's still a spot. Laterz!

Hey guys, there's been a little delay with responding to auditions but I tend to be really busy during the week. We've had a few awesome auditions from people like Doc Nano, Abadoss, and Sir Jordanius so far. I just want to encourage everyone to link people who might be interested in the project. If you can attract new talent to OCR even better. If you have a recommendation for someone who should be on the project, let us know and we'll check them out! We're still looking for musicians (guitars, brass, strings, woodwind, world instruments, vocalists) as well as artists.

I want to encourage more remixers to audition, too--I know people are really busy with work and other projects but auditions are for getting your concept across, not subbing a completed mix. You can include a little writeup to help explain where you want to take your track if it helps. We also want balance between cinematic and world fusion type tracks and more traditional OC remixes with solid style, groove and energy.

We're always open to making a cool idea work for the project.

Edited by Theophany