OCR02373 - Super Metroid "Dragonfood"

djpretzel

Now THIS was my favorite ReMix from the BadAss album. It's incredibly gritty and dirty (the synths, that is) and just badass overall. The choir on the background give that epic feeling and the remix never feels reptitive despite it's source. I also love the silent piano parts with the extreme panning which is very creepy and leaves you really uncomfortable. As if you can't see Ridley, but you know he's there... he could appear from any corner, attack at any step you take. Excellent build-up with great dynamics and love the (creepy, distorted) ending. I hope Rozo makes more mixes like this one!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this track was a huge thinker for me. No doubt that it caught the nature of the source material, but all those time signatures made it tough to really break down on the first go around xD

Luckily it's been some time since BadAss was unleashed, and it should be much better digested as I state my thoughts.

It starts out well with some nice creepy synth and echoed piano which bears a familiarity with some of the more ambient Metroid Prime soundtrack selections, before going straight into a hard 12/8 interpretation of the source which may make one somehow mistake you for DJ Orange in terms of writing (honestly, I can't help but think of "Harvest Hoedown" here xD). This feel managed to continue onto the hard 2/4 section, though like halc stated with the awkward beats, the transition between the signatures made it hard to digest initially due to the lack of a significant downbeat for the start of it. Luckily the adaptation of the source with this more aggressive soundscape worked creepily well.

The return to the intro's texture with the 9/8 time signature, soon following with the return to the original's 5/8 time signature, both showed his testament to adapt the source within the different time signatures. But I have to say, the 11/8 section at 3:20 was by far what I felt to be the coup de grace for me, as it gave a lot of room towards the drum writing/variation and give in a more progressive feel to it with the accompaniment building. Following that though, the ending was a bit weird with all the pitch shifting invlved, but given the oddities of the time signature it's something that can A) be excused, and B) contribute more towards the general quaintness of the arrangement.

While I hadn't heard too much of Rozovian's work (and I believe I need to rectify that soon lol), what I did hear though was one of his cleanest works to date; kinda low-mid heavy, but all the more to fit the feel for the source, and the attention to emphasis on the instrumentation and the sheer creative nature of handling the source material were seen as major key points for the track. The progressive-ish nature of the time signatures wouldn't at all really make this easy listening, but then again none of the tracks on BadAss were, so just come in and let Ridley take a gash at you in musical form :D

• 3 months later...

I was really into the drums mostly. They had a good progressive rock thing going; sound very organic and yet very clean.

Overall there's definite tension and ambience, true to the original. And like Rexy is saying, the timing changes are great and demonstrate much needed variation.

I thought the synth sounded a little thin or out of place at times, or maybe it didn't occupy the sound field as much as I was hoping it to. Or, maybe I was just expecting a guitar and it wasn't a guitar.

• 1 month later...

This mix definitely fits the dark brooding atmosphere of the BadAss album - it starts off anthemic before shifting into a higher pace and it continues to shift through various states. Is this what Rozo has in mind by "Dragonfood"? Let's hope it's not what he thinks is a dragon undergoing indigestion :P .

Fun and active song though!

• 5 months later...

From Badass we hear another evil-doer get their theme tricked out and what a treat this is. Not overly tense and frantic, but you can tell that business has picked up from here. The break in the middle is kinda creepy, with the whole "one note at a time for a melody" thing, that was cool. Great track off a great album.

• 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02373 - Super Metroid "Dragonfood"