What the hell happened to music!?

AngelCityOutlaw

Okay..So I listen to every genre out there. There's many songs on the radio I don't like, but I can still see why some people would. So I normally never listen to the radio.

BUT SERIOUSLY, what the hell is with the recent abundance of music that nearly everyone agrees is terrible?! First Rebecca Black, then Lulu, now this....

Click that and prepare to suffer.

Really though, I'm genuinely curious to know people's thoughts. There's always been and always will be songs that so many people hate, but I don't think it's ever quite been like it is now.

I mean, the backstreet boys, A*Teens, etc. may have not been Dream Theater or Mozart, but they still had some well composed, performed and produced songs.

What are your thoughts on Pop music today? Do you agree there is an abundance of "bad music" on the radio these days? If so, what do you think is the cause of it? What do you think future pop music will be like?

Okay..So I listen to every genre out there. There's many songs on the radio I don't like, but I can still see why some people would. So I normally never listen to the radio.

BUT SERIOUSLY, what the hell is with the recent abundance of music that nearly everyone agrees is terrible?! First Rebecca Black, then Lulu, now this....

Click that and prepare to suffer.

Really though, I'm genuinely curious to know people's thoughts. There's always been and always will be songs that so many people hate, but I don't think it's ever quite been like it is now.

I mean, the backstreet boys, A*Teens, etc. may have not been Dream Theater or Mozart, but they still had some well composed, performed and produced songs.

What are your thoughts on Pop music today? Do you agree there is an abundance of "bad music" on the radio these days? If so, what do you think is the cause of it? What do you think future pop music will be like?

I agree it's becoming more and more that I don't listen to anything other than VGM remixes and OST's because anything on the radio is just complete and utter crap. I don't know what happened to what we consider music at all but as long as OC Remix is alive and well I will have music to listen too so I count my blessing's the community is still alive and kicking

Music today is FAR better than it's ever been before and I've been saying that my entire musical life. Seriously though, the amount of amazing stuff out there is absolutely brain numbing, in the best way possible, of course. In my opinion, the state of music as a whole can ONLY get better, never worse. Then again, I love Lady Gaga ;).

I love the radio

TuneIn let me reach radios from all over the world and discover music.

The dude a few post above, I dunno how you could only listen to game remixes, I would go insane and be sad.

What I hate tho, is the whole new wave of AutoTune in every techno songs. I'm lucky tho, I'm not really listening to techno so I skip the station. But there's an overdose of that, they all use it and they all sound the same and I'd punch them in the fuckin face if I could to apeas emy ears and my wrath. Also, the lack of originality which pisses me off.

The 80s had its wave of styles too, and funny thing, you love it 30 years later.

Music will keep on changing :)

In all honesty, I truly despise the mainstream music of today. It lacks any real message or meaning behind it. Music has now become more about making money and keeping people preoccupied then it is about spreading the word about peace, happenings, or life stories. Video Game Music is nothing like that, which is why I listen to it. Remixes of VGMs are also reinterpretations of famous works by fans who truly care about the piece they are working with. That intimacy between man and music is what truly makes music shine, and it has been lackluster in contemporary music.

I will always listen to Video Game Music, Classical Music, and OCRemixes. I will never listen to mainstream music (unless it just happens to be playing).

I love the radio

TuneIn let me reach radios from all over the world and discover music.

The dude a few post above, I dunno how you could only listen to game remixes, I would go insane and be sad.

What I hate tho, is the whole new wave of AutoTune in every techno songs. I'm lucky tho, I'm not really listening to techno so I skip the station. But there's an overdose of that, they all use it and they all sound the same and I'd punch them in the fuckin face if I could to apeas emy ears and my wrath. Also, the lack of originality which pisses me off.

The 80s had its wave of styles too, and funny thing, you love it 30 years later.

Music will keep on changing :)

Game remixes come in all genre's and meaning its just one of those things I am a huge fan and it never gets old to me. I might just be that 1 percent but when you love something as much as I do it never gets old

Just sharing some amazing music that I love

Ahh gotcha yah I need to clarify I am not saying I hate "everything" thats out there just not a fan like I was back in the 80's 90's when I believe music was really well done. But I have a 15 year old and the music she listens too is horrible and drives me crazy and I wasn't like that as a kid my dad and I had similar tastes in music and I'm from the country so Country music is and will always be part of my life but it's just amazing as to what these artists shovel down peoples throats 3 to 4 releases a year anymore its just how fast can I get into the studio and make more music that sounds "EXACTLY" the same and pump it out to people to buy kinda sad.

I'm 20.

Lololol. You don't have to experience years of terrible radio to realize it's terrible. Us whipper snappers (I'm 20 as well) can figure out when stuff is bad... at least some of us*

*Disclaimer - "some of us" does NOT include: frat guys, sorority girls, hipsters/scenesters, people who go to clubs on a regular basis, and most of the time anyone under 18

So basically anyone who has a hard time thinking for themselves and formulating their own opinions

I'm not sure I understand this thread. What are people complaining about. Music has always had shit music thats been more popular than stuff thats awesome, but time has a way of making people forget these songs (for the most part). You can find good music from any year in music if you look hard enough, sure its not always mainstream but when was mainstream ever seen as "good music" with the exception of the beatles :P

As for people bashing the radio, same concept. So many great radio stations out there, you've just gotta find them. Imo, stop complaining about the mainstream and go find music you enjoy listening to. Mainstream can't exactly be ignored, but you don't have to bask in its mediocrity wondering what the hell happened to "good music".

Good music is out there and these days, its easier to find than ever thanks to the wonders of the internet (back in the day, you just had what was on Top of the Pops and music you brought on the strength of its cover art)

Just look for good music, and you'll find it.