Stereo miking technique

Diodes

Hello! So I am trying to figure out my stereo miking setup for recording acoustic guitar. I have run into a few problems and feeling much like a noob at the moment >.> Please help a noob?

I'm trying to follow this guide that theshaggyfreak kindly showed me (thanks Shaggy!): http://www.deltamedia.com/resource/stereo_microphone_techniques.html

With some finagling, I managed to get the XY coincident pair working:

20120122_152713edit.jpg

It was hard to get the microphones placed exactly though, because I had to move the whole microphone stand for every little adjustment, and then every time I'd place it back down on the carpet, I wouldn't know exactly how it was going to tilt, so I didn't have a high degree of precision. Somewhat frustrating.

Then I wanted to try the near-coincident pair (with the mikes facing away from each other):

20120122_152639edit.jpg

But I couldn't get them any closer than that. The guide recommends roughly 7" apart, the closest I could get was about a foot, due to the size of the bases of the mic stands. I am thinking maybe I should try a tripod base microphone stand rather than the heavy round base?

I also tried this thing:

20120122_152731edit.jpg

Where you can stick up to 3 stand clips onto one thingy and then stick that on the microphone stand (but really who's going to put 3 mics so close together)? I don't like this thing because you can't adjust the distance between the mics and also it's a piece of crap.

The other problem I found is that I want to angle the mics so that they're on the same level as the fretboard. And maybe I shouldn't be doing this, and I am just too used to miking with one microphone instead of the pair. But anyway, I found that the mic stands don't allow the mics tolow enough, so it's hard for the guitar to get close enough to the mics, unless I use this stool which I got for guitar but found is too high for me to comfortably rest my feet on the ground and feel balanced:

20120122_153453edit.jpg

I feel very much that I somehow do not have the proper tools to achieve what I'm trying to do here, and honestly, I can't remember what we used when I took sound recording at university 10 years ago. Thus, I am feeling much like a sad noob.

To summarize: What equipment would you use to get a stereo pair of mikes close enough together and at the proper angle, etc.? Also, to get them to the right height for playing acoustic guitar while sitting down. Also, I need a shorter guitar stool (but I think I can handle at least that).

Please help a noob. Thanks ^_^