Midwest Meetup 2012

Obtuse

What? No MoA? That's almost a requirement in you're visiting the Twin Cities area. Though since this is where I'm from, it's not all that exciting honestly.

Yeah, the Mall isn't anything special if you actually live around here.

The Twin Cities themselves aren't anything spectacular, especially in the winter/early spring, but if you wanted to wait until May and you could arrange a boat ride on Lake Minnetonka, that would be a lot of fun for people.

Yeah I'd be down for meeting up somewhere, depending on where it is. I live in Columbus, Ohio so I'm pretty close to most of the places suggested thus far. Minnesota would be too far for me, Chicago wouldn't be too bad, but I really hate driving so I'd probably have to fly there, so that would be a maybe.

There aren't really any "can't miss" things I know of going on in Ohio lol. Columbus does have a gaming convention every year towards the end of May at the convention center, but I'm pretty sure it's a tabletop RPG & card game convention (which I'm not into), not video games. I'd have to look into it though to be sure.

I'll chime in on the theme park debate that Ben & Drew brought up. One, I think that would be a good, fun idea, but I have to say that Cedar Point is a far, far, FAR superior theme park to Kings Island. I've grown up going to Cedar Point every year and their quality & quantity of roller coasters is a lot better than Kings Island. I've been to Kings Island here a few times and it's okay, but I was pretty disappointed after having been to Cedar Point. As for huge lines, I've honestly never experienced it that bad at Cedar Point unless you go on a weekend in July. If you can get up there towards the end of May or early June (before all the kids get out of school) or if you can go on a weekday during the summer then it's not usually too bad (30min - 1hr wait for most rides). That's my 2 cents!

A meet-up sounds really fun; sadly I'm not active enough here (more of a lurker) to be able to join up. If suggestions are needed though I'll gladly chime in. I know the area pretty well since I have lived in the midwest my entire life... :/

Being at a meetup isn't contingent on post count or anything like that.

Also I noticed from some posters - it seems there's a fair number of you that could have a Twin Cities meetup of your own or even hang out regularly. BardicKnowledge and MaxFrost lives there, and OA lives close enough to there too.

That would require me to have friends who go to the U.

Which I don't. :P

And they know all my friends, so it's pointless to lie :P

Where do you live, exactly?

On a separate note, I might have some interest in attending a Twin Cities get together, schedule permitting, but because of work and family (ten month old baby), I can't really do anything geographically beyond that.

A meet-up sounds really fun; sadly I'm not active enough here (more of a lurker) to be able to join up. If suggestions are needed though I'll gladly chime in. I know the area pretty well since I have lived in the midwest my entire life... :/

Doesn't stop me. As of this one, I'll have 2 posts, and I'm still planning on going.

I'm down. We should meet in Indianapolis! I think we have laser tag or some shit somewhere here?? Now you all want to come.
If you guys do this, I'm in. Or Chicago. Maybe. My girlfriend's been dying to go there for a while now. That's quite the trip for me, though.

Not only that, but we've got duckpin bowling near Fountain Square!

Objectively, I'd say Chicago IF at least one or two people planning to attend were Chicagoland residents. Getting lost in a major city during an OCR meetup because you guide has been rushed to the ER really sucks...um.. I've heard. Frankly, Chi-town has more to offer culturally.

Subjectively, I'd say Cedar Point. It = win.

Practically, I could only do something here in Indy and therefore propose a meetup to coincide with Gen-Con the weekend of August 18th. Anime, gaming, laser tag, duckpin bowling, AND a remixer town. What more do you need?

...I still never got to meet McVaffe. Stupid squirrels : (

Anime, gaming, laser tag, duckpin bowling, AND a remixer town.

Enough said.

We may have to plan a separate Minneapolis meetup. Looks like there's about 5-6 of us in a 2 hour drive from each other.

I like traveling in general, so I'm down for any midwest meetup - so Chicago, Indy, etc, are all open options for me. But a Minneapolis one would be especially doable. I'm about 2 hours south of the cities now, but moving to Minnetonka within the next month or so.

Baww, Chicago's probably too far for me. Plus I'm weird about big cities, not my favorite thing.

If you guys end up picking northeastern Indiana or Cedar Point, then I'd love to go. Especially Cedar Point, cause I've been there a lot and can tell you what rides don't suck (Fact: Millenium Force is the best rollercoaster on the planet)