OCR02376 - 7th Saga "Heroes Unsung"

djpretzel

I remember when I tried 7th Saga. I really really gave it a shot but I couldn't get into it. It was just so fracking hard! I picked Esuna and picked up the little dwarf guy as my companion and marched into a dungeon thinking I'd kick butt with *two* people and I got trounced. So I ragequit and put it away forever. >:\

The music always stuck with me though. I picked up the SPC and found myself enjoying most of the tracks, particularly the overworld and town themes, so I was excited to see one of the town themes had been covered!

I really like the atmosphere of this remix. It does the tavern/bard theme it was going for well. I also appreciate the melancholy to it because that was something I liked about the 7th Saga OST. Themes in other games usually presented happily (like town themes) were more melancholic in 7th Saga.

And I'm always happy to hear anything out of OA and DA, you guys make a great team!

Sweet album, and appreciate all the hard work!

It's obvious that a lot of work went into this song as well. So it frustrates me to say that I can't get into the vocals here. I'm not sure exactly what it is -- I'm no professional singer like Jill -- but they just don't seem to sit right. It's a shame, because I love DA & OA's "Eminence Grise" to death, so I know these two can hit all the right spots!

Also, the reverb choice mystifies me. I understand it's supposed to simulate a tavern, so wide expansive soundscapes wouldn't be appropriate. Still, it sounds too harsh and echo-prone for my ears.

Wish I could get into this title track more, because the lyrics are adorable, and it's such a great remix idea.

Thanks for bringing this album to fruition! And don't think musical perfection is expected, least of all from efforts in your free time with no $ compensation. Keep on growin and challenging yourselves! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Having had Unsung Heroes floating around on my MP3 rotation in the past month, I say it's about time I take a look at some more of the flood posts. :razz:

The opening track managed to capture that serene moment of wanting to express feelings about telling of the games that have been unexpressed in the community. Arrangement-wise it's pretty straightforward, but it didn't need a complex arrangement with the lyrical writing, slight modifications to the melody on both the vocals and flute countermelody, and even then the components highlighting the source sell the track more than what appears to be lesser-stellar original components, give or take the string writing near the end which I thought managed to compliment the mood quite well.

As the time went on I felt a little unsure about the choice of room ambience; it felt rather dry and wide for what could be considered a tavern setting, and even then it wasn't exposed on all the instruments represented. That to me could be seen as more of a nitpick more than anything, as the sounds themselves have been emphasized very cleanly even with the ambience concerns taken to account, and Deia's laid-back vocal complimented the medieval-esque instrument selection just as much - the travelling bard in the pack of musicians, throwing her wisdom into the face of adversity, with not much expectation to go by other than her own heart.

So for a rather inspirational album it made for a very pretty opening track, and I hope the other contributions that both OA and Deia worked on whether together or with others would eventually surface too to compliment the raw emotive power behind this one :)

As the time went on I felt a little unsure about the choice of room ambience; it felt rather dry and wide for what could be considered a tavern setting, and even then it wasn't exposed on all the instruments represented. That to me could be seen as more of a nitpick more than anything, as the sounds themselves have been emphasized very cleanly even with the ambience concerns taken to account, and Deia's laid-back vocal complimented the medieval-esque instrument selection just as much - the travelling bard in the pack of musicians, throwing her wisdom into the face of adversity, with not much expectation to go by other than her own heart.

I always took it for more of a dock/open work area, not a tavern (hence the anvils and such clinking at the beginning).

• 4 months later...

A song as told by a bard, I originally wasn't a fan of Deia's vocals here, but given some time to digest it, I think it works. Deia's vocals are a little on the loud side IMO. Otherwise, I think it captures the atmosphere nicely and does a good job at putting together a quaint song of entertainment for all our patrons here.

• 7 months later...

Wow, this is pretty cool. Deia's vocals go very well with the traveling bard/medieval tavern feel that the song was striving for, and OA joining was nice to hear as well. Nice intro and outro with the natural gathering sounds as well. It hit every mark it went for as far as I'm concerned and is certainly one of my favorite songs off the Unsung album.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't really think of anything wrong with this ReMix, it has great music and awesome vocals. I especially love the acoustic guitar. I had a minor argument with myself about the intro, but it turns out that having a tavern full of people in the presence of bards really fits the mood. I just love a good bard story!

I give this ReMix a 9.5/10.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02376 - 7th Saga "Heroes Unsung"