Interest in a Sonic Remix Competition?

SuperiorX

So yeah this is happening for sure! Look for the official competition thread in the Competitions subforum on April 14th. That is when recruitment and zone selection will begin!

---------------------------------

Hey everybody! So I was thinking it'd be cool to have a Sonic the Hedgehog Remix competition, that would follow the same general rules of Darke's Grand Robot Master Remix Battles. We'd have two brackets where participants would each pick a Zone from one of the core Sonic games (Sonic 1, 2, 3, 4, S&K, Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure, etc.). The mixers would then have to make a song using their Zone theme and the Zone theme of their opponent.

Everybody would vote for the song they like better. The mixer with the most votes moves on to the next round. Mixing periods would last a week, voting periods another week. So yeah, like I said, pretty much the same rules as the GRMRBs only with Sonic Zone themes instead.

Sure we have tons of Sonic remixes, but very few that mix more than one theme at a time, and I think many of them would work quite well together. If people are interested, I'd ideally like to have 16 people (8 per bracket) participate. To get an idea of the scope of time involved... Bracket #1 would mix the first week. At the end of that week, voting would begin on Bracket #1's mixes and Bracket #2 would begin to mix. At the end of that week, voting would begin on Bracket #2's mixes, while Bracket #1 would begin mixing with the new matchups, and so on. So if you continue to win you'd be mixing every other week. At that rate it would take 8 weeks to finish the compo. If we got 32 participants, then it would take 10 weeks total.

If people are interested, please let me know what times you think may work out best for you. I'm open to any suggestions (timing, competition structure, theme/narrative ideas). I'd love to host (and participate :smile:) in such a compo!

Support the compo, put this banner in your sig!:

iptor6.png

-The compo will begin a 2-week recruitment period from April 14 through April 29. Keep an eye out for the official competition thread in the Competitions subforums! The first round will begin May 5th!-

Approved Sonic Games - any "Zone" theme from these games will be allowed. No boss, special stage, title/menu music is allowed however.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who have expressed interest:

1. SuperiorX
  2. DusK
  3. Mr. L
  4. Gar23
  5. Geeky Stoner
  6. AkumajoBelmont
  7. Neblix
  8. Amphibious
  9. halc
  10. SonicThHedgog
  11. CC Ricers
  12. chroxic
  13. Zerothemaster
  14. Syllix
  15. BlackPanther
  16. PixelPanic
  17. Sir Jordanius
  18. Magellanic
  19. Chernabogue
  20. Arceace
  21. Ben Briggs (aka chthonic)
  22. AMT
  23. Xenon Odyssey
  24. TheRexAsaurus
  25. wildfire
  26. Phonetic Hero
  27. uhhh6677
  28. TheMrkuul
  29. Jewbei
  30. FaytxStay
  31. KingTiger
  32. urdailywater
  33. Sir_NutS
  34. Tuberz McGee

People who might be interested:

1. DCT
  2. Ectogemia
  3. mickomoo
  4. Gario
  5. mak
  6. hakstock
  7. A.COE
  8. DrumUltimA
  9. metaphist

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I am interest.

EDIT: It would be great to participate in such a contest where I know ALL the source material back to front :)

Well if Akumajo wants to do it, it shall be done :smile: I'd love to hear some vocal Akumajo-ed Sonic mixes. Have you made some Sonic remixes before? I don't think I've ever heard any from you?

Arrrgh...part of me is saying:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I am interest.

EDIT: It would be great to participate in such a contest where I know ALL the source material back to front :)

...but another part of me knows I wouldn't have the proper time to devote to this.

I'm gonna run away from this thread now

I have a lot of WIPS :)

EDIT: This is just the excuse I need to make more Sonic mixes. And finish them, haha.

I think I do vaguely remember a WIP from the Project Chaos album of yours! Making Sonic mixes never needs an excuse :smile:

There's gonna be a summer battle. X_X

Damn you Neblix! Don't ruin my fun! Plus, I thought Darke was planning the Maverick Battle for the spring? I vaguely remember him saying that during the GRMRB 2011, or is it getting pushed back since the WCRG took soooooooooooooo long to finish? Well once I know Darke's plans, I'll plan around it, cause I have a feeling this is going to garner a good enough response to happen.

I'm gonna run away from this thread now

Nooo... you know you want to do it :)

I think I do vaguely remember a WIP from the Project Chaos album of yours! Making Sonic mixes never needs an excuse :smile:

Damn you Neblix! Don't ruin my fun! Plus, I thought Darke was planning the Maverick Battle for the spring? I vaguely remember him saying that during the GRMRB 2011, or is it getting pushed back since the WCRG took soooooooooooooo long to finish? Well once I know Darke's plans, I'll plan around it, cause I have a feeling this is going to garner a good enough response to happen.

I dunno, last time he said spring and most of it bled through summer. Summer battles always yield better results, anyway. People have more free time (at least the ones who go to school) and are able to dedicate more of it to making remixes. I didn't make anything for WCRG because I just didn't feel like it after having all this other stuff going on in my life.

If you do it late summer, yeah, maybe it won't conflict. I'd join that. :smile:

Hey everybody! So I was thinking it'd be cool to have a Sonic the Hedgehog Remix competition, that would follow the same general rules of Darke's Grand Robot Master Remix Battles. We'd have two brackets where participants would each pick a Zone from one of the core Sonic games (Sonic 1, 2, 3, 4, S&K, Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure, etc.). The mixers would then have to make a song using their Zone theme and the Zone theme of their competitor.

Everybody would vote for the song they like better. The mixer with the most votes moves on to the next round. Mixing periods would last a week, voting periods another week. So yeah, like I said, pretty much the same rules as the GRMRBs only with Sonic Zone themes instead.

Sure we have tons of Sonic remixes, but very few that mix more than one theme at a time, and I think many of them would work quite well together. If people are interested, I'd ideally like to have 16 people (8 per bracket) participate. As for timing, I'd probably be looking at sometime this summer, as to not conflict with Darke's next Maverick Remix Battle or with the possibility of a Tekken Remix tourney that Phonetic Hero proposed awhile back.

If people are interested, I'd love to host (and participate :smile:) in such a compo!

You called?

Ehh Free from jazz sonic remix and more electro house and dubstep up my arse for such a occasion

Oh no doubt. I was very average before the WCRG. I'm still not amazing or anything, but I've improved soooooooooo much from the compo.

Yeah definitely. I haven't really had much experience with remixing at all until I did this. Having deadlines and some set sources kind of forced me to sit down and work through some tunes, and its turned out quite well. I feel like I improved loads from the beginning to the end of WCRG. These compos are definitely a great practice if you can commit to them.