Morrowind Theme and FFX - A Fleeting Dream Violin Covers.

drmattviolin

Hey Guys ,

I am new in here , i also wrote in newbie section.You can read from there to know me :))

Alright , i have two game theme cover with violin.

I hope you guys will like it and comment if possible.I am open to all feedbacks , i am not a pro.I just want to do best for my next game covers.

FFX - A Fleeting Dream Violin Cover

The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind Theme Violin Cover

Hey Guys ,

I am new in here , i also wrote in newbie section.You can read from there to know me :))

Alright , i have two game theme cover with violin.

I hope you guys will like it and comment if possible.I am open to all feedbacks , i am not a pro.I just want to do best for my next game covers.

FFX - A Fleeting Dream Violin Cover

The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind Theme Violin Cover

Nice work matt! It's always great to hear from new musicians such as yourself.

I play violin really badly but i often record my housemate who is an excellent violinist. I have trouble being satisfied with the sound which i'm pretty certain is to do with my mic'ing. Your playing sounds pretty solid. As you say you're not a pro. You hit all the notes and the intonation is pretty good most of the time! The main thing to me was a lack of emotion in the playing, not to say your emotions weren't in it but the playing lacked that trademark heavy-vibrato style which just sounds so great! Some of the melody lines you played seem to go in strange places because perhaps you were playing the top notes of an accompanying line which sounds ok on the piano but kinda strange on a solo instrument (like 0:38 ish - you play the countermelody after you play the melody - you're taking on all the melody lines! :)) Or perhaps I wrong... that stood out to me though anyway. I liked the idea of the pizzicato but it seemed a little weak when it came in. To me pizzicato on high strings rarely sounds all that great on a solo instrument unless it's for a particular effect but that's just my taste. And the ending was a little sudden.

Anyway, i'm critical because i care hahaha... I thought this was great playing - miles ahead of my own! There's little i can say on the arrangement because it's basically a straight cover. I mentioned a few things about you taking every melody line and not really having a place to breath or having a conversation with rest of the instruments. It's very much backing track + solo instrument! But these are covers.

ANYWAY - i managed to talk for a really long time. Great covers, welcome to the community - i'm sure there'll be a bunch of people well up for a collab if you are (me included :)) and keep at it :)

Look forward to hearing more.

Hey Calum!!

First of all , thanks for your awesome comment.I really appreciated it. Uhm yeah as you say sometimes i can't give good emotions in it , actually i am from Turkey , i grown up with turkish style which is quite mystic and different notes with strange emotions than classical music.So i am still trying to play with emotions , i hope it will be better.

Secondly , oh no you got me in the top notes :) Yeah i have still problems to play high notes , 2nd 3rd positions.It is funny to say but even i play a lot of time , i didn't work pretty much positions due to our music style.I am wondering could you help me about high positions ? Maybe you can send me some worksheets or studying techniques.I believe i will solve that problem in time.

And about Pizzicato , it is the first time i have ever used it.I know it is not cool so much but it makes song different anyway :)

Again , thanks for your feedback , it is so important for me.

My next cover is Uncharted 3 Main theme , i am doing it with MIDI piano in left hand , and the right hand notes will be violin!! I hope it will be finished in 1 week.

Best

Hey Calum!!

First of all , thanks for your awesome comment.I really appreciated it. Uhm yeah as you say sometimes i can't give good emotions in it , actually i am from Turkey , i grown up with turkish style which is quite mystic and different notes with strange emotions than classical music.So i am still trying to play with emotions , i hope it will be better.

Secondly , oh no you got me in the top notes :) Yeah i have still problems to play high notes , 2nd 3rd positions.It is funny to say but even i play a lot of time , i didn't work pretty much positions due to our music style.I am wondering could you help me about high positions ? Maybe you can send me some worksheets or studying techniques.I believe i will solve that problem in time.

And about Pizzicato , it is the first time i have ever used it.I know it is not cool so much but it makes song different anyway :)

Again , thanks for your feedback , it is so important for me.

My next cover is Uncharted 3 Main theme , i am doing it with MIDI piano in left hand , and the right hand notes will be violin!! I hope it will be finished in 1 week.

Best

Ah, top notes... well, i can't offer you an awful lot of help here at all! I know there's another violinist (probably many) called amaterasu chris (clearly an okami fan! :)) anyway, maybe he'll turn up after seeing his name and offer you some advice but I cannot. Maybe someone else will as well?

Yeah, that's the thing about the pizzicato. I felt like you just used to to make the song different which is fair enough but it didn't really work for me.

I enjoy your covers but from an OCR perspective (which might not be what you're going for at all) they are too conservative as you've demonstrated by telling us that the process is to split a midi track and play that. Anyway, keep up the playing but i'd love to see more creative arrangements from you :)