GDC (Game Developers Conference) 2012 - San Francisco meetup?

Mechanized_Angel

Hey everyone,

Is anyone from OCR or general members going to GDC this year in San Fran (March 5 - 9th).

AlphaOmegaradio.com (my internet radio) is going to be down there hopefully meeting composers to network and such, but I would love to meet more people as well! So if you want to meet up, PM me or post. If there are lots of people maybe we can get some sort of group meet up going?

Cheers

Mech

I'm just attending the expo (Wednesday to Friday). I was there last year and that was a lot of fun and still got to meet people.

In my opinion something like PAX is way more exciting cause it's less professional and you still get to meet developers who are just showing off their game (not trying to get some kind of business deal going lol).

I'm going to go check out this party (http://www.dnalounge.com/calendar/2012/03-06.html) put out by 8bitSF, for $5 if you have a GDC pass this looks like a blast!

I'd love to go someday as more of a luxury cruise than anything worthwhile in the industry. $1,000+ to hand out resumes no one will bother reading is not a career highlight in my opinion.

Nah, it's not like that. You're right that just handing out resumes doesn't typically work unless people are actively hiring (and there ARE people there actively hiring.) It's more about meeting people in more casual settings. Parties and that type of thing. Plus, the panels are cool too.

Jill, myself, Jimmy Hinson (BGC), Danny B, C418, Another Soundscape, etc. will all be going. :-) However it's hard to plan group things because generally everyone is running around trying to make it to panels and events, so even if you go with friends you often end up splitting off. Do you have an audio pass?

Have you gotten the audio pass before? I was debating to get it, but figured I'd wait till next year. Is it worth it?

Yeh after re-reading the description it definetly looks pretty sweet, although I'll admint I'm a bit n00b on the subject right now. However I will be getting fully back into composing right after GDC. By next year it will be totally worth it!

If you see a guy with a alphaomegaradio.com name tag don't be shy to say hey! lol

Nah, it's not like that. You're right that just handing out resumes doesn't typically work unless people are actively hiring (and there ARE people there actively hiring.) It's more about meeting people in more casual settings. Parties and that type of thing. Plus, the panels are cool too.

From what I've heard, if you're not already a hot shot 3 games into the mainstream industry already, you're basically wasting your time and money trying to find work there. I didn't look any further, I used my own experience trying to find any entry level work that actually has a chance of being published in any capacity to verify.

From what I've heard, if you're not already a hot shot 3 games into the mainstream industry already, you're basically wasting your time and money trying to find work there. I didn't look any further, I used my own experience trying to find any entry level work that actually has a chance of being published in any capacity to verify.

Yeh my wife is trying to find work there... Last year the line ups were ridiculous just to talk to some kind of HR person. Even then the competion is pretty stiff, you gotta be good that's for sure!

But that being said I wouldn't totally disregard it, as you never know who you might run into and make some helpful connections. I'll never forget meeting Michael McCann outside the bar....now that was freaking cool.

Good by itself doesn't cut it anymore. You have to good, charismatic (borderline celebrity) and lucky all at once. Entertainment industries are about the worst to try to get into, and with all that effort that goes in and the amount you get back, you may as well try to land a job in something else. I myself am looking for any excuse or catalyst available to just quit entirely.

I didn't use to be this cynical - I blame the last few years of economic recession for that.

Good by itself doesn't cut it anymore. You have to good, charismatic (borderline celebrity) and lucky all at once. Entertainment industries are about the worst to try to get into, and with all that effort that goes in and the amount you get back, you may as well try to land a job in something else. I myself am looking for any excuse or catalyst available to just quit entirely.

I didn't use to be this cynical - I blame the last few years of economic recession for that.

For a dude that is so cynical....your music is amazing! (I just checked it out :)) PM sent!

I'll be there as well. My personal recommendation (as with a majority of the people Zircon mentioned above) is to get a pass that will allow you to mingle with developers if that's what you're trying to accomplish. But if you are networking with people who are writing music or want to partake in the wealth of knowledge offered in the audio bootcamp, the audio pass (or higher) could be for you.

My two cents: do lots of work, find a niche, find people you connect with, make friends, be as persistent as possible, be positive, keep in contact with people as much as you can. It's not easy (and I'm definitely not there yet) but it's certainly very doable, and absolutely worth your time if it's what you really want to do. I mean, in general, if you really want to do something, don't let anything or anyone stop you from doing it. If you don't really want to do it, then that's another thing. But even when it is true that some people are luckier than others, it's never helpful to make excuses.

My point is, GDC is most likely for fun and not useful unless you're a music or programming wizard and you're already lucky enough getting industry work. I can't verify this personally until I can afford to do it myself, and that day when I do, I'm going to go there, unwashed, in as little clothing as I can legally wear, lipstick and mascara, apply for as many jobs as humanly possible - so then when I pay more than $1200 to get rejected, I will at least have earned it. Nothing pisses me off more than knowing I did everything right and bought everything I needed to still fail and that's been my career outside my day job for 10 years.

This is part of my "Dreams Do Not Come True" initiative for my generation. I'm turning my experience/failure into realistic reinforcement for struggling and surprisingly-naive-for-really-intelligent members of my generation who just don't know whats good for them, godbless'em. Our generation was cursed with over-abundant unearned confidence building in our infancy and now we just can't accept it when someone tells us "We don't want you. No one wants you. If we want a composer, we know what we want already and where to find them. It's called Google. Oh, you spent a shitload of money on stuff you suck at? So does everyone else. Go cry somewhere else you fuckin' aspie retard."

Someone actually sent me something to that effect once... and it's still not the worst rejection I've received. :P

Sorry to digress there, but no one pays any attention to anything I write unless they're thinking I'm bashing LGBT or thinking I'm calling them a thief when I have photographic evidence that, despite the fact you're a respected moderator on a major website, you clearly can't READ - so its all good. :)

Yeah, entertainment biz is hard as hell. Remain persistent and don't give it up and you will see SOME success.....how much success is basically up to chance. Being good at what you do doesn't mean shit, because ultimately, there's always someone better or worse than you who is getting paid to do what you love doing.

What I've decided I'm going to do is just keep working a regular job for the next couple years to see where a few possible jobs composing music goes. If it doesn't pan out too well, I'm just going to join the police and do music as a hobby on the side and maybe the occasional paid job.

I guess what I'm saying is, Meteo Xavier is right.

Yeah, entertainment biz is hard as hell. Remain persistent and don't give it up and you will see SOME success.....how much success is basically up to chance. Being good at what you do doesn't mean shit, because ultimately, there's always someone better or worse than you who is getting paid to do what you love doing.

What I've decided I'm going to do is just keep working a regular job for the next couple years to see where a few possible jobs composing music goes. If it doesn't pan out too well, I'm just going to join the police and do music as a hobby on the side and maybe the occasional paid job.

I guess what I'm saying is, Meteo Xavier is right.

Same here. lol

But that being said and seeing there are a fair number of people going...I don't see why there can't be some sort of meetup?

I posted a GDC Indie party going on at http://www.dnalounge.com/calendar/2012/03-06.html

Seriously people, maybe meet up a bit before hand just to say hey and introduce? Cause with the amount of people there I doubt I'll see any of you lol