OCR Big Band *NOW ACCEPTING ARRANGEMENTS* *NEED TROMBONES*

Wiesty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got a Shure SM57 with an M-Audio Pre MKII, and it's sounded absolutely horrible. It picks up too much room noise and blasts mids through the roof, and I've tried EQing the tracks I record but it never works. Does the Fast Track really make that big a difference?

I've got a Shure SM57 with an M-Audio Pre MKII, and it's sounded absolutely horrible. It picks up too much room noise and blasts mids through the roof, and I've tried EQing the tracks I record but it never works. Does the Fast Track really make that big a difference?

No--at that price range, no.

The 57 is a dynamic mic, that means you can put it in some pretty loud places--like close to the trombone bell.

Try placing it near the bell, experiment with the axis placement as well--try it slightly off axis at first.

Try recording in a LARGER space--your bedroom or whatever will sound terrible.

If you go to school, see if they will let you use the band room or auditorium or recital hall or whatever there is at your school.

If you're not in school, first try the largest space in your home, then try to find other spaces.

Ribbons require a great deal of gain but unless you have one of the few exceptions, you can destroy them very easily--they're one of the most delicate microphones--in fact, simply running phantom power through your ribbon can destroy it.

So be extremely careful--also, you need a pre that has some meat on its bones or you won't be able to hear anything.

A ribbon can sound amazing on brass though I'm not a fan of using a ribbon without an LDC paired with it as ribbons tend not to have a lot of detail to their sound (they tend not to pick up high frequencies very well).

Be careful of placement, you don't want to stick that thing in your bell.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard from C7 (Adam)? He appears to be MIA

Adam is indeed very busy in real life and with his games he's working on. I dont know if he's MIA exactly, but I do know he hasn't had as much time for musical projects recently.

Weisty you and I need to talk sometime more about that Mega Man arrangement I sent you a long time ago. Maybe not right away cause I'm pretty busy at the moment. But sometime! :)