OCRA-0005 - Doom: The Dark Side of Phobos

Navi

And it's wonderful. It's amazing, it's everything I thought and hoped that it would be, and more. Excellent work to the remixers and everyone else that worked on this project. Amazing, simply amazing. Every single one of these tracks will have a permanent spot on my playlist.

So... does having met me make my track BETTER or WORSE? :P

(And I ask because I haven't seen anything said about it yet except from one of the guys on DoomWorld who said he pretty much hated everything except it... which is either an insult or a blessing. I'm not really sure.)

And it's wonderful. It's amazing, it's everything I thought and hoped that it would be, and more. Excellent work to the remixers and everyone else that worked on this project. Amazing, simply amazing. Every single one of these tracks will have a permanent spot on my playlist.

So... does having met me make my track BETTER or WORSE? :P

(And I ask because I haven't seen anything said about it yet except from one of the guys on DoomWorld who said he pretty much hated everything except it... which is either an insult or a blessing. I'm not really sure.)

Remember he said he liked it because it was "so over the top". ;)

Ive never really gotten around to posting on here, as much as i enjoy all the music on this site.

But holy christ, last night i wandered over to see what new remixes were up, and noticed the doom link at the top. Well, ive been a huge fan of the music from doom, to the point that i would say the music from doom more than anything else sticks in my head from any game ive ever played. Not even as much actually LISTENING to it at first, but when i first got the game the music was perfect to the gameplay.

Hell, ive got a copy of Bobby Prince's CD "Doom Music" that i ordered about 4 years ago.

Anyway, im not at all a musician, so half the time i dont understand whats posted in reviews, or critques around here. But i know what does it for me, and for me its that transition in Darkness Dawning where the vocals end, and the whole thing just goes hardcore. I mean really, holy shit. The text music was always one of my favorites on the original soundtrack just for its sheer creepiness, but you guys took it up a notch.

Ive been spreading the link to the project around like the black death, its that great.

Well, I created this account just to let you guys know what I think about your project. I've been listening to songs for OCRemix for a while now, but never cared much about posting in the forums. This is definitely a good reason.

The Dark Side of Phobos overall is fantastic. I can't say I loved every track, but I'm certain that's a personal thing and not an issue of quality. All of TO's work was amazing as usual, but some other tracks that I really liked were Hangarmageddon, Industrial Strength, The Leaning Tower of Babel, and The Dark Side of Phobos. I think the only songs that didn't really work for me were Aria of the Damned and Darkness Dawning. I guess I just don't like vocals in Doom.

I'm sorry to hear all the fuss over at DoomWorld especially since that's were I'm from, but I was a bit disappointed that some of you felt the need to go over there and defend yourselves. If they don't like your music, to each his own. They were rather rude about it, but just leave it be.

In the end, I guess I want to let everyone involved know what this project means to me, having been a Doomer since '93. I've been following the project for months and I'm really happy the way it turned out.

I'll be writing up reviews for each track on the album barring my own when I get some time. But for now let me say the whole album is pretty darn good. There are some tracks that will receive less than kind reviews from me, mainly for straying so far from the original, but those are the breaks.

But I will say my favourite 5 tracks on this are (in a sort of order):

Infiltrator

Leaning Tower of Babel

Chemical Imps

Hangarmageddon

Darkness Dawning

Reviews for later though.

I just heard all of it now, and thought it was ace! Well done guys and lady, all good. TO, your intermission was cheesy as hell I loved it :P . Oh yeah, finally found an old pic of myself...kinda weird but yeah GT might upload it later haha.

Please have it initially 300x300 if possible. Any other artists up there that don't have a photo up can send me one and we'll get around to putting it up there.

Downloaded it yesterday, my favourite tracks:

leaning tower of babel

chemical imps

Infiltrator (Do I detect some James Bond in there?)

glass moon

Darkness Dawning (pure goth, a little too goth for my liking, but still good)

ElectroCute Bunny

Props to Evil Horde, RoeTaKa, DJ Carbunk1e, Ryan8Bit, Elsa Persson, Larsec and TO. EDIT: Also Hemophiliac and Pixietricks for Aria Of The Damned.

Link 8)

These guys at doomworld were seriously annoying me, so I had to register and reply:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=556405#post556405

I couldn't resist posting as well when he referred to my collab with Carbunk1e, even though I wasn't really involved much with the project as a whole.

Carby just said to me "DOOOOOOOOOOOM!" And I was like "DOOOOOOOOOM?" And he was like "DOOOOOOOOOOM." And then there came my contribution.

These guys at doomworld were seriously annoying me, so I had to register and reply:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=556405#post556405

I couldn't resist posting as well when he referred to my collab with Carbunk1e, even though I wasn't really involved much with the project as a whole.

Carby just said to me "DOOOOOOOOOOOM!" And I was like "DOOOOOOOOOM?" And he was like "DOOOOOOOOOOM." And then there came my contribution.

just like that ;)

8bit did a great job on the guitar, regardless of what these jokers say.

Its a very good project overall.

Nuts, everytime I hear your intro I keep thinking it'll say 'Welcome to the Cosmic Gate' cos it sounds exactly the same as the intro song to one of their albums. (The voice that is). I like the percussive work you did on this one, in comparison to your usual focus on the synth.

Evil Horde, I love the guitar work, especially on Hangarmageddon.

Carbunkie, some good stuff from you too, as well as Beatdrop, Roetaka, MNousentre... Everyone really.

Gj.

The whole thing is friggin' awesome. I played through the whole game (using, naturally, the Doomsday Engine) using this album to replace the original soundtrack, and holy hell does it sound good. The whole thing really amps up the atmosphere during gameplay. (And to be honest, some of the tracks I really can't stand listening to outside of a gameplay session.. not to say that they're bad or anything, just not great for listening on their own).

Great job as a whole.

Personally, I found this album to be a bit mediocre, especially compared to other albums that have been released. I was actually expecting something a bit more rock, but I've found mostly forgettable music in this album. It could be that I haven't played Doom, so I might not be able to appreciate the music as those who have played it. Either way, still sub-par in my opinion. The ending of the album was especially disappointing. In the KiC album, the last tune simply doesn't hold back and makes an awesome kick-you-in-the-pants ending. Again, the ending for this album is forgettable.

To post my stuff in the right section:

I hated this :(. Most of these are basically goth metal remixes, which stinks because Doom (if you ask me) never was scary and never will. Doom is more action than horror, no matter what new versions that are completely different come out. The ones that aren't goth metal are frustrating electronica that sounds nothing like the original version. I understand that remixes are supposed to be different but really, when you can't even tell a song is from the game, you've failed. Heck, the E2M2 remix sounded more like a song from Metroid Prime. The only remixes I liked at all were the E3M3 one and the E2M8 one. The rest were either very mediocre or horribly confused as to what game this was.

You lose, authors of The Dark Side of Phobos.

And for some additional comments based on the 4 words I've seen skimming over this: I'm a fan of Doom, but I thought this remix did no justice whatsoever. Sorry if this sounds trollish but I just felt you needed to know that this wasn't a step in the right direction.

Also you guys put a year of effort into this? 0_o.

Its really good :)

There are people out there, like me, who buy whole albums of Goth/Industrial/Electronic stuff. So saying it gets a bit monotonous.. Well guys i dont know, It would've only been so if one guy did it, but there's a lot of good variation here. I'm looking at the more Subtle stuff here. As i d/l each track i find something about each song i like.

EvilHorde though is turning into one of my Fav remixers.

It is funny that around the same time that Purgatory remix came out (which itself is amazing).

Good job guys, props all around, You've cued me into some Remixers to keep an eye out for.

-e-

I hated this :(. Most of these are basically goth metal remixes, which stinks because Doom (if you ask me) never was scary and never will. Doom is more action than horror, no matter what new versions that are completely different come out. The ones that aren't goth metal are frustrating electronica that sounds nothing like the original version. I understand that remixes are supposed to be different but really, when you can't even tell a song is from the game, you've failed. Heck, the E2M2 remix sounded more like a song from Metroid Prime. The only remixes I liked at all were the E3M3 one and the E2M8 one. The rest were either very mediocre or horribly confused as to what game this was.

And for some additional comments based on the 4 words I've seen skimming over this: I'm a fan of Doom, but I thought this remix did no justice whatsoever. Sorry if this sounds trollish but I just felt you needed to know that this wasn't a step in the right direction.

You joined just to post that? Damn, you are such a douche! You must of been bored after your online masterbation escapade. If we lose at making this album, you lose at life for joining just to post that. I'm sorry to tell you this but whomever told you it was cool to take out your frustration on forums told you wrong, . . . it actually makes you what people who have a life call a "nutsack". Let me spell it out for you

N - U - T - S - A - C - K (is what you are)

Now Don't take your hate out on forums just because your mommy wouldn't put out for you tonight. So run along and go post on the walmart forums, billy-bob and ella-sue are waiting for ya.

Remember that the entire point of most of these projects (and of remixes in general) is to not necessarily capture the feeling of the original songs, but to reinterpret and recreate a brand new feeling for the music. Of course, songs that do capture the spirit of the original are great too, but not all remixes and remix projects are about that. I'm sorry you're not able to appreciate it, but hey; your loss. I'll keep listening to these awesome tunes. :P

Most of these are basically goth metal remixes

Well its not like the doom games were fully of flowers and happy smiling zombies. Get in touch with your goth side.

Anyway, nice work on...well...all of it. I listened to it all the way through once and said "That wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it would...". But now I've been going back and listening to more and more of the tracks, and its just growing on me, I can't get enough of it. And a special thanks to TO and Mythril Nazgul since from what I can see it was you that held the project together. But what do I know, I'm just a simple lurker :)

Oh, and about that Intermission track. WTF? I absolutley loved it, but I have no idea where it came from or what its based off of. Is it even out of the doom music? Its a great little evil circus piece, and it reminds me of the Fish Polka from Rise of the Triad, but I just don't know what it is.

And, does anyone have the lyrics for track 21, Darkness Dawning? I can hear most of it, I mostly just want to know what's being said when all the distortion kicks in at 2:47.

Uber nice work, I'll be playing this in the car for quite a while.

My opinion (for what it's worth)

Welcome to Hell- I like it, definately gets you in the mood

Hangarmageddon- Show-off! :evil:

The Red Moon- I like

Industrial Strength- DUDE!, I'm sorry if this is an insult to you, BUT I love this "80's" sounding song. The good 80's sound not the "culture club" or "madonna" sound. Sounds a little like "Tears for Fears", which I'm a fan of. And fuck whomever says otherwise, I don't care if you post that you hate that band, fuck you anyway!

Mystery Meat- Damn, what a loser! Who does this guy think he is? It's no Hangarmageddon I'll tell you that much!

Leaning Tower of Babel- Man, I wanna party with you! I DON'T dance but I almost busted a groove in my seat.

Reprocessed- Hmm, not sure, I don't hate it, . . . it has to grow on me.

Ghosts of Mars- You got the im, you know what I think, awsome, different, kewl.

Chemical Imps- Inspiration from Chemical Bros.? Sounds like thier work.

Demon Con Gusto- Analog, when I first heard this I kept looking for RUN DMC to walk in the room and bust a "MC pose".

This Can't Be Good- IF the song was bad I would so make fun of your choice of title right now!

Jade Spawn- I like but I felt like I was waiting for it to build up somewhere.

Intermission- Funny Shit! Does anybody else feel like wacthing "Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail" after listening to this? (okay only the true fans will get the joke)

Infiltrator- "Al Di Meola" anyone?

Infected Lab- "Confusion-Pump panel remix" by "New Order" anyone?

Secrets & Lies- sounds like "Poe"

The Glass Moon- I like but you still should have used you neck pickup on the guitar work my friend.

Ocean Pollen- I wanna get high

Area of the Damned- Pixietricks, at first you were cute, but after hearing your voice, . . . I'm in love with you! Marry me tonight! I'll see you in Vegas!

Iron Cathedral- Lovin' that goth 80's sound!

Dark Side of the Phobos- Deserving of the title of the album

Darkness Dawning- Elsa, you're cute as well, but you scare me @ 2:50 into the song. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think on a date you would probably rape me, and afterwards, . . . I would be crying in the corner.

ElectroCute Bunny- I thought this was going to be a funny song because of the title, I was wrong, . . . not funny, . . . groovin'.

Don't worry, I'm not being kind for the hell of it. If you sucked at making your song, I would absolutely tell you.

Awsome album guys, and thanks for letting me be apart of the album. This may have been my first remix but I'm so glad it is a rememberable one! Please invite me to the next Doom remix anytime, I'm there!

Take Care Guys!

Pixietricks, I'll see you in Vegas!

And, does anyone have the lyrics for track 21, Darkness Dawning?

Darkness Dawning

Night is near, beginning ending

Dawning dark the skies are sending

Cry of black and cry of sorrow

End og light and end of morrow

From without the night is calling

From within the night is mauling

Single sign of darkness dawning

Wretched light of darkness morning

Evil hears and evil watches

Evil know and evil judges

Brings to bloom the darkest flower

This will be the darkest hour

From the dust and soil awaken

spirits lost and souls forsaken

They will rise from over yonder

They will fly and they will wander

Through the flames I see them coming

Through the flames I see them longing

They have come to end the living

Unforetold and unforgiving

They are here, they crave, they hunger

With the damned the nights grow longer

Twisted limbs and twisted faces

Demons from the darkest places

But have no fear, I've come to save you

Trust in me that's all you can do

I lay to rest your fear and worry

Come to me! Come on, let's hurry!

This is where you find your ending

Welcome to a death so mending

You try to scream, your life is dimming

cause I'm from Hell and DOOM I'm bringing!