Torchlight II

Rockos

I went with the Berserker first, figuring that I'd pick the class least likely to be my favorite and play through the game with him first so that I'd have incentive to play through it a second time.

...my god, it's fun regardless. I'm enjoying this a whole lot more than I thought I would because of the existence of the Tundra skill tree.

Megaspoilers for a quest I stumbled upon in a sidequest dungeon:

"Find the remaining pieces of the robot."

Took a look at the item's description in the quest log and it's a disembodied drum with a "4000" on it. I get the feeling that piecing this guy back together again is either going to be hilariously amazing if it works (TRALALALALAAAA) or downright tragic if it never happens.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far with my lvl 22 Outlander. I guess I was one of the lucky ones that was able to login and play online right away. I didn't realize until a friend logged on about an hour afterwards that your single player character could jump right into internet games as well. I'm sure there would have been much more of an outcry if that wasn't the case.

Gambling seems to be a great way to get some nice gear. My friend gambled me 2 unique rings, belt, shoulders, and 2 weapons this morning :o

Even though I've only played it for a day, this game seems to have that "it" factor that Diablo 3 lacked. Plus it's a perfectly casual game that I can play at work and stop whenever I want which is always nice :>

Had an absolute blast (literally) with Outlander last night, ended up at level 10, after roaming around and clearing a couple dungeons on Veteran mode. The shotguns, or shall I say shotgonnes, are a ton of fun with the knockback ability, so many gibs!

The fact that the town music from Torchlight 1 was still present in a modified form might be the part that made me the most happy though!

Was finally able to start playing with a friend. So. Much. Fun. And as I progressed I found something out that made me happy but not sure if spoiler so I won't say what it is. XD

I'm playing an Outlander (dual wielding pistols) and my friend is an Engineer (seems to mostly be doing 1h/shield). We're just doing normal mode at first but we're already looking forward to doing harder difficulties later. I really want to try Embermage but I want to wait until beating the game and unlocking New Game + before making new people. I'm not terribly interested in Hardcore though as I have no interest in investing a ton of time into a character for them to likely end up dying because I derp it up somewhere. :x

Anyone doing much fishing? I mostly just get ordinary fish, but I've gotten a gold fish, summon imp spell, and a couple decent equipment pieces for my pet. I just wonder what some of the best stuff you can get is.

I wonder if you'll be able to find the "giant" fish later on for permanent pet polymorphs like you could in the first game.

Yep!

I've caught a single Giant Tunnel Shark that's listed as transforming the pet "permanently" into a Molebeast. Not sure if I ever want to use it since I love my wolf, though. D:

Since New Game + only applies to a character that's beaten the game I decided to play around and try other things out. So I made a Berserker on Elite. The playstyle of Berserker is pretty fun (one thing I love about Torchlight is the fact they actually make melee fun!) but Elite doesn't feel like a "fun challenge" so much as tedious. x.x Normal's been faceroll for me and my friend so maybe I'll give Veteran a shot and see if that's more my speed.

I finally got to buy this game. Bought the version from Runic Games instead of Steam (I'm not OCD about achievements... frankly, I don't even pay attention to them), after having all kinds of issues with Steam updating the demo I tried out.

I'm at level 13 right now with my Embermage, making my way into the valley with all the spiders at the beginning. I'm enjoying this so far, and other than the crashes I had trying out the demo, it runs quite well on my old PC. This of course means I don't have to turn everything down just to get it playable.

Up to level 14-15 or so with my Outlander (also played an Engineer to 13, but wasn't feeling the playstyle). Despite being a big D3 fan, there are some things I think Torchlight II does really well:

1. Speed. I find the base movement speed to be REALLY snappy, and everything just seems very fluid to me. Picking up gold and items is especially nice.

2. Stat system. I was very skeptical that the stat system would be one-dimensional. However, I'm impressed by how they make each stat valuable for ANY class. Focus helps my dual-wielding Outlander do more damage with Executes, and improves my incidental elemental damage. Dexterity improves my DPS and defense (via dodging), while strength gives me raw physical power. It's very well-done, and I hope it does have as much depth as I think (and doesn't degenerate, like D2).

3. Skill system... sort of. I really like the diversification of skills & skill trees, and how many of them scale with either your weapon or character level. In D2, a level 1 skill was almost always useless. In T2, even a low-level skill can be very useful thanks to built-in scaling. The tiered bonuses and passives are also cleverly done. My only complaint is the restriction on respeccing. It seems archaic. I don't want to create a totally new character to try a melee build on my Outlander.

4. Loot system. Again, not sure if this will hold up by the end of the game, but right now it's pretty amazing. You're constantly finding a variety of good drops; I like how equipment is restricted by level OR stats, enabling you to wear higher level stuff if you're specced for it (while not prohibiting you in the long run from wearing equipment you don't have the stats for). I like how weapon types have different properties beyond damage and attack speed in terms of splash damage, range, spread, and so forth.

5. Quests and events. Getting customized rewards, and being able to select what you get, is great. I love the huge variety in sidequests and random events too (I've found only a few so far, but they were all quite fun).

6. The world. Though I'm not invested in the story at all, the world is fantastic. I feel like you're REALLY rewarded for just wandering around and stumbling into new areas to get loot, random events, phase portals, secret dungeon rooms, etc. At least so far, I feel T2 beats both D2/D3 in this respect.

All-in-all, I gotta say Torchlight 2 has exceeded my expectations. Looking forward to more dungeon crawling!

3. Skill system... sort of. I really like the diversification of skills & skill trees, and how many of them scale with either your weapon or character level. In D2, a level 1 skill was almost always useless. In T2, even a low-level skill can be very useful thanks to built-in scaling. The tiered bonuses and passives are also cleverly done. My only complaint is the restriction on respeccing. It seems archaic. I don't want to create a totally new character to try a melee build on my Outlander.

Because the game is completely mod-friendly, including online play, you will be able to patch your game such that the NPC's will sell you a respec potion at a reasonable rate in a couple weeks when the editor goes live.

I also really like that many skills scale based on player level, allowing for diversity in skills...though there are definitely skills that benefit a lot from deep investment to unlock the Tier 2-3 bonuses.

Veteran is the best difficulty to me. Elite is just too much hp. I only play full offense builds so most things one shot me anyways.

Yeeeeees. Playing Elite was a lot of "WHY GOD WHY!?" but my new Embermage does fantastic on Veteran. My main complaint when I was playing with my friend was that the bosses would be downed in no time. /yawn. On Vet, it's not overwhelming, but there's actual challenge beyond holding a mouse button down now.

And I love when I can actually get set pieces: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98691299 Those rare times when your character looks awesome and coordinated are <3

I wish they allowed for respeccing too. This isn't like, say, WoW where there's this illusion of choice. There's so much with every class that's viable and so many things to try out. My Outlander is okay but.. just okay, because she has so many points put into garbage. :x

I'm up to 54 on my Outlander, and enjoying the Map World. I still haven't gone with New Game+ yet, perhaps in a day or two. I still haven't ventured into Veteran or Elite game modes, although I've been pretty much making my own "Elite" games by trying my best to clear level 85+ Dungeons on my 54 toon -_-. It's actually a pretty good way to get some good gear. As long as it's 1 or 2 base stat requirements that I'm specced for I can equip level 95+ requirement gear :o

bardic and i put in some serious time this weekend and cleared an act and a half. we just got to act three and are really enjoying it. he's playing as a tanky engineer with absurd AoE fire dps and dual-wielding weapons, and i'm doing an outlander focused in the glaive, daggers, and the repeating fire that lowers armor for anti-bosses with dual pistols. i blow through mana like it's my job but it's really fun to just melt down the biggest bosses with rapidfire.

bardic and i put in some serious time this weekend and cleared an act and a half. we just got to act three and are really enjoying it. he's playing as a tanky engineer with absurd AoE fire dps and dual-wielding weapons, and i'm doing an outlander focused in the glaive, daggers, and the repeating fire that lowers armor for anti-bosses with dual pistols. i blow through mana like it's my job but it's really fun to just melt down the biggest bosses with rapidfire.

Ha, if only I could play that often during the week!

So far, tanking is working pretty well, though I think if I would sacrifice my "absurd AoE fire dps" I could have more robots tank even more at the expense of functioning in solo play. Lots of options for characters thus far!

I don't really get this game. Sure, it's good and addictive but that's mostly because about 80% of it has been lifted from Diablo 1/2, with even unrelated things like the setting, plot and music being oddly similar (same composer, I know). The things where it differs are the (minor) QoL changes and the league of legends-esque graphics, but other than that it's the same old game. I do like the classes and the gunpowder weaponry though.

Yeah, that's true. It's basically Diablo 2.5, or in other words, what some people wanted Diablo 3 to be. I really like the way it addresses a lot of the issues people had with Diablo 2 like:

* Multiple bonuses granted per attribute that are useful for all classes

* Flexible item requirements (level OR stats), so you don't hamstring your build with the wrong stat allocation

* Skills that scale with weapon DPS/player level, so even level 1 skills are useful

* Snappy movement speed, loot pickup

* Quest rewards tailored to your character class

It even addresses problems with D3:

* Significant world/map randomization

* Way better droprate of rare/unique items

* Rewarding exploration

* More engaging and frequent events

* Offline + LAN modes

* Mod-friendly

When I first played Torchlight 1, I felt it was too similar to D2 to really be fun. However, now that I haven't played D2 in years, and I've played quite a bit of D3, it IS kinda refreshing to play T2.