*NO* Lufia 2 'Hello, Goodbye' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: Darangen

Email: mike@darangen.com

UserID: 8948

This is part of a multi-resub/sub that Sir Oji said was ok.

Game: Lufia 2 – Rise of the Sinistrals

Songs: Prophet

Original Soundtracks:

Comments:

This is a resubmission, original submission results are found here: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37666

I tried to address as many of the critique’s as I could while still maintaining my original vision for the track. I tried giving the snare a bit more punch, and beefed up the guitars with a heavier tone. I’ve also tweaked some of the mixing to try and keep a better overall balance. Finally, I added a new guitar part to break away from the source and give a contrast.

OLD comments:

This submission is part of Bahamut’s Lufia 2 Project.

I’ve always enjoyed the Lufia series, I even bought a DS just to play the remake of the first one. The source for this doesn’t have a lot of material to work with, but it’s such a beautiful theme that I always found myself setting the controller down for a while just to listen to it for a while.

The title – Hello, Goodbye – is based on the character of Iris in the game, for which this theme is used, because it always seemed that by the time she said hello it was already time for her to leave again. She’d drop in and give you just a tidbit of information, then leave you before really explaining anything.

I always wanted to make a lyrical remix of this source, and though I have lyrics written the melody just gets too repetitive even for my tastes when words are used. Maybe someday down the road I’ll integrate it with another source and see if something happens.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

-Michael ‘Darangen’ Boyd

This is sounding quite a bit more cohesive than the original submission; I think the semi-b section you'd added by emphasizing your rhythm motif and soloing a bit really improved the repetition aspect. It still plods a little bit, but it works a lot harder in capturing interest.

Guitars sounded good, and the synths chosen also felt at home in conveying a mysterious but focused mood - very good for the character.

I think you've done a pretty good job with limited source material in an interesting way, and though that melody keeps coming back, the different feels keep it fresh enough, and the slightly melodic changeups when the guitar takes the lead are well thought out and work.

I think the fade could have actually been a little slower, as this is actually a type of song where a long, drawn-out fade can work well.

Still, good resub, and I'm cool passing this. :-)

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna disagree with OA about how cohesive this sounded, though I thought the arrangement was fine, it was the production that sounded too off.

I didn't hear the first version, but I still thought the way the drumwork mixed didn't click with the rest of the soundscape and the timing/performance there also sounded stiff. I also felt the synth lead was kind of grating. The guitar work and what sounded like a harpsichord part (quietly in the background) were both really sweet.

The mixing from 2:51 until the end just didn't sound clear or cohesive, with the organ and the guitar parts panned too widely apart and thus sounding very lossy and muddy. Actually, listening to the beginning again, the panning seems too wide most of the time, and I'm not sure why, but it's reducing the clarity of the piece. The 1:57 section, when things seemed to go back to normal for a time, was really needed. I had to throw on a few baseline tracks to listen to just to make sure my ears weren't plugged up and that my headphones were fully pugged in.

I think the arrangement's there, but the mixing needs another pass to set things right with both the stereo balance and the overall separation of parts.

NO (resub)

Yeah, I'm with Larry here: the parts here really aren't gelling together. The reverb spacing on the various parts sound different from each other, giving it a disjointed feel.

When it all kicks in, things start getting really cluttered and distorted. Examples are 1:17, 2:24 (not as bad), 2:51 (especially).

As mentioned, the drum sequencing feels pretty stiff. It never seems to get into a natural sounding groove to hold down the rhythm section.

Not a bad track by any means, but some production fixes are in order. Bring this back, now. Ya hear?

No, resubmit please

Yup, I noticed that the production sounded more whack on this version than last time. I was okay with the overall production on the last version but this just sounds odd to me.

Good thing is, you fixed the arrangement up so that's definitely passable as far as I'm concerned :-) Production needs some work though, as Larry stated.

NO (resub!)