Mass Effect - Uncharted Worlds (Epic Dubstep Remix)

Hey Remixers!

With all of the buzz surrounding Mass Effect 3's imminent release, I developed a strong urge to remix my favorite song from the Mass Effect games -- the Galaxy Map music. I was also eager to try my hand at making dubstep, so I combined the two ideas into one.

Here's the remix:

http://soundcloud.com/sorenlaulainen/recharted-worlds

I'm very eager to hear your feedback and criticism, since this is the first game remix I've ever done.

Thanks in advance :)

- Soren

I usually hate dubstep with a passion since it all usually sounds the same, but this was very well done. It wasn't over the top or obnoxious and really felt atmospheric like the original song. Good work.

Now all we need is a well made Reaper dubstep since Mass Effect 3 came out. The Reaper cannons sound like they could be easily adapted in to a dub step song.

Thanks for the replies! I was hoping I borrowed enough influences from dubstep to be appealing to fans of that genre, without making the track sound too derivative or irritating to non-fans.

I also thought about using actual sounds of the Reapers for the second drop, but I thought that might be using too much source material... or make it feel over-the-top.

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Based on listener feedback, here is another version of the song! Please let me know if you think this is an improvement, or a step in the wrong direction! :)

http://soundcloud.com/sorenlaulainen/recharted-worlds-v2/s-fTnlt

- I've changed out the acoustic drum kit with an electronic drum kit that hopefully meshes better with everything else.

- I reworked the drum patterns, so they have more syncopation.

- I brought up the volume of the wobble bass when it first enters the song.

- I removed some high-pitched effects from the bass drop around 2:25, because I felt they were too irritating

Based on listener feedback, here is another version of the song! Please let me know if you think this is an improvement, or a step in the wrong direction! :)

http://soundcloud.com/sorenlaulainen/recharted-worlds-v2

- I've changed out the acoustic drum kit with an electronic drum kit that hopefully meshes better with everything else.

- I reworked the drum patterns, so they have more syncopation.

- I brought up the volume of the wobble bass when it first enters the song.

- I removed some high-pitched effects from the bass drop around 2:25, because I felt they were too irritating

I definitely want to hear this but the link isn't working for me.

The synths are really good, and you handle dubstep pretty well but I have to say you do have some problems.

The main ones though have to be that your drums still aren't that great. In my opinion you really need to try and use some samples not just a kit (which I'm assuming you got from a soundfont or directwave thing), and layer MULTIPLE sounds on top of each other. A good example of this kind of beat is xKore - Hello. Just listen to his drums, they're crazy sounding and I think it's more cause he's layered multiple sounds to make his beat (not to sure how, but I think he's using maybe one bass drum sample and then two different snare samples to give it a bigger texture). This is just what I think would help your drum sounds.

Also you do keep the melody and stuff pretty well, but the dubstep doesn't sound like it's actually trying to follow the real melody sometimes. Like the LFO bass isn't really trying to emulate anything from the original song.

This is just my opinion and I hope it helps you :D