RECRUITING/GENERATING iNTEREST! Tears of the Moon: A Majora's Mask Extended Concept Album

MangaMan

i'm back! sorry for the disappearance, had a deadline i couldn't miss for a huge project elsewhere. i saw the operation moonafall thing and i greatly approve. also, my audition piece will be in soon. is there anything absolutely pivotal that i missed, or has it been business as usual?

Just follow this link for now:

Here is a link to the first WIP of the Clock Town, Day Three. Check it out and tell us what you think

You can only few it through this link:

Lyric Writers put your WIP lyrics up here:

http://tearsofthemoon.wikispaces.com/Track+List

i'm liking what i'm seeing here. naturally, some are a little hard to hear without a little help, so i maintain that demos will be a necessity. guru-guru's song and the great fairy's part come to mind right off the bat. don't worry about vocal quality for those, they're just for the benefit of the reader so as to better understand how the track will sound. it also helps when writing to sing it, so as to hear how well the words work with the rhythm

mangaman, feel free to put those songs into whichever act they belong as they come in. i can keep track of which are wip's and finals and such in the track list, which i was thinking would only be a list of the order of the songs and who is involved in each.

Edited by champ the hippie

Me again. I've been thinking about lyrics for a few days. I'm gravitating towards the first time Link enters Clock Town, unless that's taken. I feel early stuff would be a good match for me, as it can have a lighter tone than later events probably should. I have a quirky, fun writing style.

So I guess I just need to know if Clock Town is even available first. If it is, I'll have a few more questions before I get started.

Also, if I may butt into you guys' discussion... The owl probably shows up before every region and reprises his song, right? Since, in game, he's little more than a guide for the player, one idea is having him actually introduce each act, essentially acting as the narrator. Whether he's talking to Link or the audience, his lyrics should be poetic and cryptic, with sagely insight about time, fate, and life. That's my opinion, anyway. I'd be willing to take a crack at these lyrics, too.

The Clock Town, First Day has not been taken yet, so you can go and take it. It's funny you should mention clock town because I got a guy on Youtube who is interested in tackling the music for the second day. I have some notes on this thread about the idea of the first day in Clock Town, so be sure to look at that. But to summarize: The theme of Clock Town, First Day is one of busy energy and excitement for the up coming festival, but at the same time there is the ominous shadow being cast from the moon.

I love the idea for the Owl and would like to combine that idea with another idea I had: We could use the Song of Time as a sort of interlude into the next area. For example, when going from Deku Swamp to the Snow Mountain first a horn section will play the Song of Time and then slowly the drums will take over the song. The Owl can come in with the reprise of his song after this while still caring the theme of the song by having the drums play during his song as well.

i'm a fan of all of the above ideas, for what it's worth

I've made this special little album art work for the project and I want your guys and gals opinions. What's going to happen is when I get everyones album art work, I will put parts of their artwork into the Tear.

tears_of_the_moon_album_art__work_in_progress__by_shadowglasses-d4xojdh.jpg

Also, there will be T-Shirts!

Edited by MangaMan

I've made this special little album art work for the project and I want your guys and gals opinions. What's going to happen is when I get everyones album art work, I will put parts of their artwork into the Tear.

Also, there will be T-Shirts!

is it possible for you to close his lips a little? idk, it feels...toothy. it would make a fabulous tee shirt, though!

Edited by champ the hippie

well, yeah, but the angle makes it look, in my opinion, not very good. it looks like he had to spread the lips out further to make room for just as many teeth

If you feel that strongly about it then I'll see what I can do about it once everyone has submitted their art work and I start work on the final version of this piece.

Awesome cover. The reason why the moon looks toothy, though, I think, is because of the upward-curves under his eyes. The moon looks attentive, and ferocious, as if to pounce upon some prey, which is good in its own right. In Majora's Mask, the moon has the same frown, except without the curves under the eyes. The moon looks angry, but not about to pounce; it's more passively (rather than actively) ominous, I guess.

Anyway, I'm excited about this project. I wish I had musical or artistic talent to contribute...

Awesome cover. The reason why the moon looks toothy, though, I think, is because of the upward-curves under his eyes. The moon looks attentive, and ferocious, as if to pounce upon some prey, which is good in its own right. In Majora's Mask, the moon has the same frown, except without the curves under the eyes. The moon looks angry, but not about to pounce; it's more passively (rather than actively) ominous, I guess.

Anyway, I'm excited about this project. I wish I had musical or artistic talent to contribute...

Well the thing was, it is a tricky angle to capture and those curves under the eyes are the moons cheek bones. Thanks for the support though!:)!!

so i'll have my audition in very soon. my parents got rid of the computer i've been using (long story), but i have my own new laptop coming very soon (it shipped on monday), so i'll have stuff for you as soon as my new laptop is set up! sorry also that i've been disappearing so much, i've been pretty busy. i'm pretty sure i'll be back full force very soon

The track list has once again been updated. Southern Swamp and Snowhead are complete. Great Bay has been started and I'll finish the rest of them after finals on Monday. Go check out the track list on the second page of this post, right after the very first one. Please tell me if you can follow the tracklist okay, is it understandable or do you have trouble reading it?

Edited by MangaMan

Note for Lyric writers:

Don't think that you need to write the lyrics to exactly match the original melody of the songs.

There is a term in Opera, that I can't spell or pronounce, but it is a type of singing, where the singer sings what would normally be said. Don't be afraid to to go outside of the original melody with your writing and if your a composer or know a bit about composing, you can use the original music as sort of inspiration and create something entirely new, while still keeping the feel of the original. For an example of Singing What is Said, check out Repo: The Genetic Opera.

In other news, I know some of you have started to work on some music and that's great, keep going! But what I want to address here is that I believe we should get all of the lyrics done first before we start work on any more music. If you really want to work on some music first and you believe you got a good thing going, well then more power to you, but be warned that the music may need to be edited to fit the lyrics and the overall them.

Lastly, I've gotten a good response from people on deviant art, who are interested in illustrating cover art for the project. If you've seen my Tears of the Moon artwork I've posted a while back, once all the artwork has been submitted, I'll take bits and pieces from everyones artwork and place them inside the shards of the tear.

Please PM about lyrics, what songs you'd like to do lyrics for, suggestions of songs that still need lyrics, and any questions in general.

Also post all lyrics onto the wiki page here:

Majora Wiki

If your having trouble posting on the wiki, send your email info to either Champ the Hippie or myself and we'll get you on there so you can post.

And please comment on this forum what you think of the WIP lyrics posted so far and what the writers can do to improve them.

Edited by MangaMan

Note for Lyric writers:

Don't think that you need to write the lyrics to exactly match the original melody of the songs.

There is a term in Opera, that I can't spell or pronounce, but it is a type of singing, where the singer sings what would normally be said. Don't be afraid to to go outside of the original melody with your writing and if your a composer or know a bit about composing, you can use the original music as sort of inspiration and create something entirely new, while still keeping the feel of the original. For an example of Singing What is Said, check out Repo: The Genetic Opera.

Would that be Parlando?

Also, Repo! is a pretty awesome movie!

Until we get the lyrics finished, I want all the vocalists to send me links of there sample work so that I can post them up on the first post for others to listen. That way the composers will get a better sense of your talents. Also, please submit a recording of your range to me by the end of May. Just a simple Do Ra Me will do, just something to get a feel of your range and how high or low you can go vocally.

Are you looking for only one or two specific pieces?

My link earlier on was a small collection. Will that work, or should I figure out what my most recommended one is? In that case it might be the contest entry.

Put up the link that you think gives the best example of your range for the song writers to hear. And if you want, you can put up more than one link if you feel one is not enough.

I know it's been awhile, but hopefully all of you are hard at work. I've been having trouble getting all the descriptions of the songs on to this post, so I decided the best solution is to post all the song descriptions on to the wiki site:

http://tearsofthemoon.wikispaces.com/

I'll get started on posting all the info on the songs on the wiki site and please contact me with any questions.