Trying to fill up my Ipod 160 with VG music, suggestions?

Kainchild

Katamari Damacy and all Katamari Series music

Bastion

Ridge Racer Type 4

Rage Racer

Rayman Origins (get it from the RayTunes Archive)

NiGHTS (this is obligatory otherwise Sega comes to hurt me)

Also, despite what Garian said, Foobar2000 is probably the best converter for chiptunes to mp3 out there. It can do it en-masse at whatever your CPU can handle, with automated filename and mp3 tagging based on chiptunes info fields. Highly recommend it.

I'll edit this later when I have more time to write stuff.

If you plan to ever listen to your ipod on a bicycle, you have to get the Cycling song from Pokémon. Any of them, but it's better if you have all of them. Make it a playlist or something.

Red/Blue/Yellow version -

or Fire Red/Leaf Green, if you like the GBA sound -

GCS Original, or the DS -

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuAO1mpKuRg

Ruby and Sapphire -

Diamond/Pearl -

Black and White -

THEY WORK SO WELL.

If you plan to ever listen to your ipod on a bicycle, you have to get the Cycling song from Pokémon. Any of them, but it's better if you have all of them. Make it a playlist or something.

Red/Blue/Yellow version -

or Fire Red/Leaf Green, if you like the GBA sound -

GCS Original, or the DS -

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuAO1mpKuRg

Ruby and Sapphire -

Diamond/Pearl -

Black and White -

THEY WORK SO WELL.

Actually I use my i-pod for work and walking sometimes.

Some suggestions.

The European/Japaneese soundtrack of Sonic CD has some pretty good tunes. Recommended: Cosmic Eternity, Stardust Speedway, Metallic Madness, Palmtree Panic and Final Fury. (Available in Sonic Retro.)

All versions.

Kingdom Hearts saga (If you're into violin/piano music.) Recommended: Destati, the other promise, deep anxiety, another side.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Even though the majority of the songs come from other games, they are played in a majestic fashion.)

Recommended: Tabuu final battle and give the rest of the songs a go.

Ace Combat 4 & 5: The final mission song for both games is superb. The rest of the soundtrack is very good too.

Half Minute Hero: In case you like heavy guitar riffs and the such, the introduction song is perfect for you.

Sonic Generations: It has the best of the best when speaking about Sonic music.

Recommended: Chemical plant zone, City Escape, Crisis City, Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp.

The rest of my suggestions have already been mentioned. (Maybe.)

Megaman X series.

Castlevania (entire series, emphasis on Symphony of the Night.)

Final Fantasy

Legend of Zelda

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Shadow of the Colossus

Ace Attorney meets orchestra

Sonic Adventure 1-2

Sonic Heroes

Halo 3

Hope this was helpful!

If you go to galbadia hotel and pick up the arcade soundtrack to the Ninja Warriors, you won't be disappointed - the remixed soundtrack is classic late80s-early90s greatness, with all its punchy snares and awesome synths.

You are not a real man if

is not in your iPod. Goes for the rest of you girly men on this site too!

Some suggestions.

The European/Japaneese soundtrack of Sonic CD has some pretty good tunes. Recommended: Cosmic Eternity, Stardust Speedway, Metallic Madness, Palmtree Panic and Final Fury. (Available in Sonic Retro.)

All versions.

Kingdom Hearts saga (If you're into violin/piano music.) Recommended: Destati, the other promise, deep anxiety, another side.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Even though the majority of the songs come from other games, they are played in a majestic fashion.)

Recommended: Tabuu final battle and give the rest of the songs a go.

Ace Combat 4 & 5: The final mission song for both games is superb. The rest of the soundtrack is very good too.

Half Minute Hero: In case you like heavy guitar riffs and the such, the introduction song is perfect for you.

Sonic Generations: It has the best of the best when speaking about Sonic music.

Recommended: Chemical plant zone, City Escape, Crisis City, Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp.

The rest of my suggestions have already been mentioned. (Maybe.)

Megaman X series.

Castlevania (entire series, emphasis on Symphony of the Night.)

Final Fantasy

Legend of Zelda

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Shadow of the Colossus

Ace Attorney meets orchestra

Sonic Adventure 1-2

Sonic Heroes

Halo 3

Hope this was helpful!

Got most of them. Need more. Still got 71 GB free and I'm ready to use them!

Got most of them. Need more. Still got 71 GB free and I'm ready to use them!

Chrono Trigger

Cthulhu saves the world

Donkey Kong 64

Banjo Kazooie 64

Rayman 2 Revolution

Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex

Mario Rpg's (Super star saga, Partners in time and Bowser's Inside Story.)

That's all I've got, forgot them on the last post. Enjoy

ghost trick ghost trick ghost trick ghost trick ghost trick

Hell yes. Hey, I'm finding a ton of fantastic music from this thread too - Does anyone know how to get this music, y'know, legally? What's the best way to go about this? I've bought what I can like Bastion and the stuff that goes on sale but, this retro stuff? Anyway yeah, help would be appreciated.

Older arcade soundtracks like The NInja Warriors and Zuntata albums often are pretty pricey - usually between $30-40 for their soundtrack releases. The games were from the 80s, so supply was a bit lower, as well as demand. There are periodic rereleases from time to time but they are still roughly comparable in price range. It's a pretty profitable niche market though because some crazies (I'm not far off from joining them) will pay many times for that type of stuff.

That's what is great about sega saturn games (and I think Mega-Cd games) - redbook audio on all the games. Just pop in a Saturn CD and the soundtrack is yours for the ripping (E.G. for anyone interested my rip of RayForce's soundtrack*** - I haven't gotten around to ripping my other games in my moderate collection).

For newer games I don't know - you never hear any press over the release of a game's soundtrack, outside of exceptional cases like Bioshock, and media darlings like Portal 2.

***If this is against site policy DO NOT HESITATE TO REMOVE THIS LINK - I am sorry if that is the case -in my defense I own the game and derive no profit from sharing its soundtrack!

shooter games

Ikaruga. Ex:

U.N. Squadron / Area 88. Ex:

Sky Shark. Most of the soundtrack.

Everyone should listen to Ikaruga's soundtrack. It's bloody amazing.

Edit: I just remembered CHz linking

from Android Assault in irc ages ago. Haven't heard the rest of the soundtrack but hot damn that sax is sexy.

And sure, what the hell: Subterranean Animism's soundtrack is worthwhile if you can put up with bad samples (although I think they're tolerable by that point in the series [trumpet notwithstanding]).

Tangent incoming. Please ignore if looking for recommendations.

Ha ha, the less of ZUN's work you actually end up listening to, the better (I feel); if you listen to too much of his work you realize that they all kind of sound the same.

With regard to some samples, sure. Compositionally, however, there's enough variety for each piece to be distinct. He's not immune from occasionally re-using motifs, but they're just that - motifs - and they usually aren't noticeable since they're in a different context.

The chief problem with a good number of ZUN's pieces from a compositional (not production [what production?]) standpoint is that there's a good amount of repetitiveness within them (again note: not between them). Stuff like Fall of Fall and Infinite Nightmare have some neat ideas and are enjoyable until you get to the third minute of what should have been a one-minute track. Or Mooned insect with its whopping four unique bars of melody (not including key changes) for fifty seconds. That said, there are still a good number with enough actual writing to remain interesting throughout.

There are plenty of reasons to criticize or even to have an aversion to his work, but saying everything sounds similar - from a compositional standpoint, anyway - is simply wrong.

Just like pointing out the games amongst other shmups, it's fair to point out the music amongst other vg soundtracks. "Here's something else you might want to try". That's it, really.

A few more OSTs to look up...

Black & White (PC game)

Black & White 2 (PC game)

Both can be listened to on YouTube

The I of the Dragon (PC game)

Can be listened to on YouTube

. There are two versions of this OST; the import that's more dramatic (which is in the link), and the US version that was altered to be more ambient (and is a bitch to find).

Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD)

Master of Monsters (Genesis)

Can be listened to on YouTube

Soul Star (Sega CD)