OCR02598 - *YES* Eye of the Beholder 2 'The Myth of Darkmoon'

OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name: Archangel

Your real name: Jaka Čibej (That's a Slovenian male name, short for Jakob - just to avoid any sex-change stuff, that happens kind of often. XD )

Your website: http://www.reverbnation.com/jakacibejarchangel

Your userid: 23355 (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=23355)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Introduction

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: Frank Klepacki; DOS; released in 1991

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

Greetings yet again, almighty primarchs!

This is my tenth submission! Pretty cool number, isn't it?

I'm finally submitting a non-project ReMix. The last non-project track I submitted was Dragon Wings back in 2010, which now seems like ages ago. Time just flies by when you're having fun, huh?

This time, I've decided to throw popularity to the four winds and make an arrangement from a game only the elite few appreciate: Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon.

Allow me to make the OC ReMix Emperor's writeup-writing job a little easier by providing some key information about the game: it was a classic DOS dungeon crawler, the sequel to the (supposedly) highly popular Eye of the Beholder. The plot was pretty standard and the gameplay was somewhat tedious (as is the case with most dungeon crawlers), but I liked it anyway. Probably because it takes place in the Forgotten Realms and because I'm a huge fantasy freak. If you're into old school dungeon-crawling, you should definitely check it out.

The soundtrack was written by Frank Klepacki, whose work I've adored ever since I first heard the tunes he wrote for one of my favorite childhood games ever, The Legend of Kyrandia (of which you can expect a ReMix or two from me sooner or later). Unfortunately, his soundtrack for Eye of the Beholder II is not very extensive (the opening and ending themes, and a couple of short jingles, I think), but the game's introduction is a masterpiece. When I was little, I always imagined what that swelling, ominous music would sound like if it were orchestrated. Well, now I know, sort of. I turned it into my most soundtrackish arrangement yet. It's not played by a real orchestra, but I tried very hard to make my samples sound as realistic as possible. Hopefully at least a couple of people will overcome their consolemania and listen to this.

Which brings me to another thing I wanted to mention. I've made this ReMix with an ulterior motive...

I HEREBY DECLARE A REVOLT AGAINST GOD!!!

Just kidding. I hope someone got the reference, though. What I actually wanted to say was that this track is a part of the PCReMix Initiative, an initiative I've started at the beginning of this year to make more musicians remix music from old PC games, because they are horribly underrepresented here at OC ReMix. It's basically a free-for-all project without the three-year wait. So again, ReMixers, I urge you to be just a little bit more original when choosing what source to arrange. Show the unmixed games the love and respect they deserve. Just look at the Unsung Heroes album. It's full of underdog music, but stellar nonetheless. Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, and The Legend of Zelda are all fine and dandy, but please, for the love of Avacyn, at least TRY thinking outside the box. Also, dear OCR primarchs, perhaps a well-timed unmixed games month along the lines of Review December 2011 would--dare I say--MIX things up? Just a suggestion.

OK, time to wrap this up. Enjoy one of the many PCReMixes that are about to come, but beware of Xanathar, the Great Beholder!

Here's the link to the mp3, AND ALSO, to make the Emperor's job easier, an image of the game's title screen, since it's as of yet an unmixed game: Archangel - The Myth of Darkmoon (Eye of the Beholder II Cover) - 192kb

Regards

J.

• 2 months later...

Very cool that you're going for some less-honored games. As usual, your production is very nice, and while not live, has a lot of great quality and texture to it. I personally have never been a fan of the film-score approach to things as invariably you get sections that feel like they're not much going on, but I can appreciate your approach, and the arrangement itself is pretty straight-forward from the source. While it's not the most interesting of your mixes, I think it's definitely above the bar in terms of quality.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This is fantastic. So much tension, so much control over the pace of the song. This is exactly what I look for in an orchestral arrangement. And there's these little creepy textural moments that make this a pitch perfect cinematic arrangement; there's really nothing I would change. I think anyone who knows the original song is gonna love the hell out of this, and the rest of us will love it anyway.

YES

• 2 weeks later...