Improvising Vs Composing Solos

How do you usually create your guitar (or other instrument) solos? Improvise it, compose it ahead of time, or a combination of the two?

For any of my serious tunes, I usually compose it because I find you can create and plan out a truly unique and melodic solo that way. I find that if you improvise the whole thing, you tend to fall into this comfort-zone of licks and you have to constantly think of what comes next and stay in time.

Combination of the two for me - I'll have the backing playing on loop and noodle around until I play something that sounds good, then I'll fine tune it.

This, exactly. But I usually hear it in my head first, usually it'll slam me awake at 3:00am, then I fine-tune it while in the shower that morning, then off to the keyboard.

I usually plan out a particular sound I want the solo to have, and how I want it to tense up and resolve. For example, if I want a song to have a dark feel and want it to explode into a really strong resolution, I'll compose a string of bars in the Phrygian mode or a diminished lick and make it resolve into a minor mode.

So yeah, for me, it's all about tension and resolution. Michiru Yamane likes to do that a lot, too, with the Phrygian-to-Minor resolutions. I really like harmonic minor to minor, too.

I use a voice recorder app within the soundcloud android app and upload it to soundcloud, best way to get any capture any insperation I get.

the best melodies you will ever comeup with at mind is when your not pressuring your self to make a cool kick ass song. taking walks,going to the park, car rides, airplane,watching tv,rec rides etc... will be where insperation hits the most.

It depends on what your goal is. I like the spontaneity of a purely improvised solo, coming from a "jazz" standpoint, though the flubs that can make things fun and interesting in a live situation can stick out like a sore thumb on a recording. These little humanistic elements do add a certain charm, in my opinion.

However, if you're going into a studio and time is money or if you just want your solo to sound a certain way, I personally compose a solo and practice the hell out of it. There are benefits to fully composing a solo, as well: you can really fine tune the whole thing and make it sound exactly how you want it to; as a musician, you can incorporate new ideas into your playing; and if your goal is to put something on wax that people will remember, like the bass solos in YYZ or the guitar solo in Hotel California for example, your polished solo will make a large jump towards that goal.

Also, somebody before me mentioned recording yourself and picking out the good ideas of a solo, and another said singing out ideas in your head. Both of these are some of the best things I've ever done for a recording session.

It depends on what your goal is. I like the spontaneity of a purely improvised solo, coming from a "jazz" standpoint, though the flubs that can make things fun and interesting in a live situation can stick out like a sore thumb on a recording. These little humanistic elements do add a certain charm, in my opinion.

However, if you're going into a studio and time is money or if you just want your solo to sound a certain way, I personally compose a solo and practice the hell out of it. There are benefits to fully composing a solo, as well: you can really fine tune the whole thing and make it sound exactly how you want it to; as a musician, you can incorporate new ideas into your playing; and if your goal is to put something on wax that people will remember, like the bass solos in YYZ or the guitar solo in Hotel California for example, your polished solo will make a large jump towards that goal.

Also, somebody before me mentioned recording yourself and picking out the good ideas of a solo, and another said singing out ideas in your head. Both of these are some of the best things I've ever done for a recording session.

All very good points.