Pokemon Red Lavender Town Theme - Dubstep

mentalstrike

First off, been awhile since I posted anything on this site. Mostly been working on original stuff. In any case, this is something I just started doing today, wanted to get some feedback on it. Usually I do hardstyle, this was my first ever attempt at dubstep, especially dubstep that I created the sounds for (played around with some samples a long time ago). Lemme know what you think! As a point of interest/reference, I'm only 2 hours in on this.

http://soundcloud.com/blattacker/lavender-town-remix-wip

First Revision:

http://soundcloud.com/blattacker/lavtown/s-NdIvu

Second Revision:

http://soundcloud.com/blattacker/lavender-town-remix

Third Revision:

http://tindeck.com/listen/vjpx

After the third revision, I called it finished, now looking for final tips before putting it up for mod review.

My advice: Replace the pure chiptunes with something else, especially in the beginning. Single track Chip sounds alone (especially with Lavender town) are very grating to the ears.

I'm dubstep tolerant, so just a few more wubs wouldn't hurt.

It sounds really empty, but also a WIP, so I'll let it pass until the full song is completed!

Keep it up. Remixing this source successfully is a badge of honor few can acquire.

That clap at the first is really piercing the rest of the sound.

What sounds like fake brass needs to go (:39). I dunno if its a synth sound, but it sounds really fake and weak right now.

Arrangement wise, it sounds sluggish and without energy. Mix things up more, branch out from the basic source and add some edge to it to keep things interesting.

I have an mp3 of the original Japanese version, it's actually rather close.

As for the remix, it's better now. Improvement in general. The chiptune really was holding it back.

I would really really like a copy of that. Where did you get it?

I'll echo Rex and say that it definitely needs something different in the clap department. I think a really tight snare would be a lot better. Also, I would distort the drums a bit, but that's just a personal thing, try it and see if you like it.

Just a personal thing, I would probably make that lead, the arpeggio part, just swirl around my head in a giant pan. But that's just me.

Also, extend the song a bit, with some more variation and some new parts, variate the wobbles some more, and change that brass to a synth or something. That's all I have for now.

I really like the ideas here, just needs to be fully realized :3

I would really really like a copy of that. Where did you get it?

From the Japanese Green ROM. This would be the pure version without any effects like reverb, fading or anything else added onto it (like on YouTube) or even the soundtrack CD they released for it back in 1996 (seriously, the CD had reverb on all the tracks. WTF?)

I sincerely hope you're not talking about that bullshit Lavender Town Theme suicide thing. That's so fucking fake, I can't believe anyone on this site would believe that. If you do, I will have to ask you to hand in your OCR card, as per section 24 of the OCR User Membership Requirements you agreed to when you signed-up.

From the Japanese Green ROM. This would be the pure version without any effects like reverb, fading or anything else added onto it (like on YouTube) or even the soundtrack CD they released for it back in 1996 (seriously, the CD had reverb on all the tracks. WTF?)

I sincerely hope you're not talking about that bullshit Lavender Town Theme suicide thing. That's so fucking fake, I can't believe anyone on this site would believe that. If you do, I will have to ask you to hand in your OCR card, as per section 24 of the OCR User Membership Requirements you agreed to when you signed-up.

...I never said I believed it.

And I don't, I just love me some urban myths when I feel like it. And I actually do like the song. And I'm curious about the original that spawned said myth. I think it's just as much bull as you do, but I like urban myths, as I said.

ending off topic discussion, pm me to continue it if you wish

let's give the man his topic back :P

Hahaha, nothing wrong with a little healthy interest in urban legends. In any case, I have added some more things, switched things around, and am just really generally pleased with this right now. So here is the current version. Unless there some major issues with it, I can't really think of any more to do with it, so I might call it finished.

http://soundcloud.com/blattacker/lavender-town-remix

The problem with remixing Lavender Town is that it's going to be repetitive. I know you can fix this by modulating those wubs some more! The only problem I have with them is that they are the same every time. Second and third drops, fiddle with it some more.

Also, maybe I just wasn't catching it, but it needs some really woofer-rattling sub-bass layered underneath there. This mix will be good if you take a creepy song and make it feel oppressive, it's really close, and I think that a massive sub-bass could get it even farther.

but that's just me :P

Hahaha, alright, I can work on the wubs a bit more. That part is fun anyway, so I've got no problems xD

As for the bass, I can try, but I'm currently working on a laptop with headphones. The headphones have pretty decent bass, but I can't be positive until I get home and try it on my usual system xD

Thanks!!

Hahaha, alright, I can work on the wubs a bit more. That part is fun anyway, so I've got no problems xD

As for the bass, I can try, but I'm currently working on a laptop with headphones. The headphones have pretty decent bass, but I can't be positive until I get home and try it on my usual system xD

Thanks!!

Listening on my mixing phones, it is a little weak in the low parts, imo.

But that's just me :P

Alright, here's the third revision. I had to mess around a lot with the levels to get the bass to shine through, but I think it's sounding a bit better. I also messed with the automation on the wobbles a bit. Lemme know (switched to Tindeck, cause my facebook feed has been getting flooded with SoundCloud xD)

stats.png

Man, this is a dark and brooding mix hehe It definitely has atmosphere :) As far as production-y type stuff, I'm not totally sold on the snare sound. I'm not sure it quite fits with the rest of the mix. As for the bass, it just sounds too clean to me. You got your wubs going but there isn't enough grit. There definitely could be more variation with the bass, but you may not need to much if you can just introduce a few extra elements to punctuate and enhance what is there. Even if you're wanting to keep the texture sparse, there is a place for a few accompanying motifs to remedy the repetiveness.

I really like the feel, the bass drum is nice and phat but you could definitely add some more variation and synths. Everything feels very much like its in the center apart from the high-pitched part that plays throughout. Adding a few extra parts would certainly help adding some width to the mix.

Hope that helps a little bit (but seriously, its just my opinion, so happily ignore :-D) I look forward to any revisions you may do :<