OCR02563 - *YES* Sonic & Knuckles 'Airborne'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer name: Devastus

User ID: 38159

Games arranged: Sonic & Knuckles

Name of arrangement: Airborne

Name of invidual song arranged: Flying Battery Zone Act 1

Link to the original (Youtube)

In case of an emergency, here's a MediaFire link to the remix.

The original song is one of the better remembered game soundtrack songs from my childhood, and certainly one of my favourites. Even then I imagined what it would sound like in a more hard rock / metal esque setting, so as I were scouring through game osts one day and came over this one, I decided to try my hand at making one myself. The result is a lot of needless guitar wankery with a pretty balanced mix on it, plus an extra 10 second ballad for every girl to wet themselves to!

This has a lot of initial similarities to Snappleman's mix of the same source initially, but it does branch out and do a lot of unique things on it's own. Production got a touch cramped i the low mids, but overall it was clear and punchy, with very nic eguitar performances. The modulation section at 1:45 was pretty, though I managed to lose the tonal center a few times. The shift to a clean breakdown, and then super harmonized head was great, and throughout this while track is a lot of great detail with a punchy ending. I think this was really well executed, and i'm hoping you submit more similar wuality material to the site. :-)

yes

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, s'alrite. The mix is the weak point here, drums are too loud and over-compressed even for the style and it left me a little bit on the headachey side. There's a humongous scoop in the midrange which has taken the impact out of the rhythm guitars. Bass is barely there at all.

It's a pass but a bit borderline on the production.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

agreed that a lot of this sounds pretty darn similar to Snapple's mix, but this had a few more liberal flourishes early on and transgressions such as the solo in the latter half of the mix, as well as some nice, cleaner breakdowns, whereas Snapple's was a bit more conservative with the backing during the solos/original sections, but also more polished in terms of mixing. however I suppose I'm here to vote, not compare. :P I agree that the balance and EQ could have been stronger but overall the song was pretty rockin, and the performances were solid. nice work.

YES

EQ/compression isn't great but it's nothing worth crying over. Nice performance, and the arrangement sufficiently rocks out. Modulation around 1:40ish is risky, but I think it works. Love the texture change at 2:18; pieces that rock out need sections like this to break things up and keep things fresh.

Great performance, nice arrangement. Solid stuff. Let's post it!

YES